New Sound Stage Lounge At DHS

Cosmic Commando

Yeah, too bad they haven't built any AC'd attractions in the last decade. I get the idea is just provide a cool space and change is coming, but it doesn't make the whole state of things any less comical IMO.
It reminds me of the end of a football game where the losing team laterals it twelve times, hoping something good will happen. It looks ridiculous. I don't blame them for trying, but if that's your best option? Just shows what a sorry state you're in.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
People complain there aren't enough benches in the parks. Disney utilizes a vacant space for benches in A/C. Benches aren't themed to something other than benches, so people complain. Makes perfect sense to me...

So you are basically saying that if people have a complaint, then it's ok for Disney to solve that complaint any way they want even dis-regarding quality? People complain about the lack of rides at DHS, but Disney could easily solve this by buying a bunch of totally un-themed (I am talking less theme then Playland or Dino-land) carnival rides and putting them there. Would you find that acceptable?

Capsin4

People complain there aren't enough benches in the parks. Disney utilizes a vacant space for benches in A/C. Benches aren't themed to something other than benches, so people complain. Makes perfect sense to me...

For me, the irkiness is not about having a simple room with benches. I haven't seen it in person, but in the pictures, it looks completely half butted. Does Disney have a repro department? They could have added some simple large posters/murals instead of plopping in a bunch of small frames that you have to be on top of to take in and contribute nothing to the feel of the room except tackiness.

EDIT: The bottom of some of those frames are well above guests heads. They aren't there to add anything...just take up space.

asianway

For me, the irkiness is not about having a simple room with benches. I haven't seen it in person, but in the pictures, it looks completely half butted. Does Disney have a repro department? They could have added some simple large posters/murals instead of plopping in a bunch of small frames that you have to be on top of to take in and contribute nothing to the feel of the room except tackiness.

EDIT: The bottom of some of those frames are well above guests heads. They aren't there to add anything...just take up space.
The bench problem is mostly at MK, though studios did take a couple of the concrete ones off the first half of Hollywood a few years ago

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Obviously a stop gap. Seems to be a push to add "cooling stations" and rest zones to the parks ASAP.

I still want an ice cave blended into the base of Everest that could serve this function at DAK. It would be amazing if properly rendered.
Yes, I thought about something like that myself. Disney is beginning to scare me a little with all of this though.

GrumpyFan

Sigh! I stepped into this yesterday not really expecting much. Needless to say, I got less than what I expected. As hot as it was I thought the least they could do was have a water cooler, but nothing but benches and a few obscure pictures and some doilies(?) on the wall. Disappointed to say the least.

ProjectXBlog

So you are basically saying that if people have a complaint, then it's ok for Disney to solve that complaint any way they want even dis-regarding quality? People complain about the lack of rides at DHS, but Disney could easily solve this by buying a bunch of totally un-themed (I am talking less theme then Playland or Dino-land) carnival rides and putting them there. Would you find that acceptable?
i thought you were arguing with yourself for a minute :grumpy:

but yeah, definitely agree, just because they utilize the space doesn't mean it's above criticism

Kman101

It's clearly a temporary place for people to get out of the heat in the summer to charge their phones. I think the complaints are valid in terms of how it looks but at the same time .... people, it's temporary. You're outraged as if this is now a permanent addition. Come on. LOL

maxairmike

It's clearly a temporary place for people to get out of the heat in the summer to charge their phones. I think the complaints are valid in terms of how it looks but at the same time .... people, it's temporary. You're outraged as if this is now a permanent addition. Come on. LOL

My issue is just how bad it was done. They could have taken an extra day or two and hung up a nice theater curtain around the room, especially in front of the former entrance to Capt. Jack (anyone want to bet everything is still intact beyond that curtain?), and it would look a heck of a lot better. When I visited USH a few years ago they had a very hot day that caused them to open unused event space as cool down areas. They were just empty convention spaces with curtained-lined walls, a screen set up showing movies, cushioned chairs and a water cooler. Those spaces were far and away more presentable than opening up the first room of a closed attraction that was already horrible show as it was, leaving the attraction stuff there, slapping some pictures on the wall, and dragging in some benches and calling it a day. So tacky and half-hearted. Just a little more thought could have made it so much better. Don't want to bother hiding the entrance portal to Capt. Jack? Bring in more pirate props (I seem to remember several in the AFI exit area of the Tour, I doubt they were trashed, just moved to one of their many warehouses), hang up Pirates movie and attraction posters. Still would look a little tacky, and I wouldn't be completely satisfied, but at least it would be more presentable and show-ready.

danv3

Temporary isn't an excuse for garbage. This isn't even half of an effort. It's something that literally could have been thrown together in an hour before the park opened one day.

Sonconato

Part of the reason people feel the need to discuss this is because more often than not shoddy and temporary work has now become permanent and acceptable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom