New Sony A7 to offer 5 axis IBIS?

fractal

Original Poster
Sony Alpha Rumors is reporting that the next Sony FF mirroless camera will offer 5 axis in body stabilization similar to Olympus. The announcement will come within days. As somebody that has several legacy lenses, this is an interesting development, and also raises some questions as I also have native OSS e-mount lenses.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-these-are-the-full-a7ii-e-mount-ff-camera-specs/

There is also a "PRO" level e-mount scheduled for announcement in February dubbed the "A9". It is rumored to feature a new sensor with improved AF over the A6000.

thomas998

Can someone explain why I would want 5 axis image stabilization? I can understand my camera moving up or down while I am trying to shoot something, but is this designed for any purpose beyond allowing drunk folks that are wobbling back and forth the ability to photographs of things before they pass out or am I missing something.

fractal

Original Poster
Can someone explain why I would want 5 axis image stabilization? I can understand my camera moving up or down while I am trying to shoot something, but is this designed for any purpose beyond allowing drunk folks that are wobbling back and forth the ability to photographs of things before they pass out or am I missing something.

In body stabilization mean any lens you put on the camera will be stabilized. Why is that important? Vs an unstabilzed setup it can give you an additional 2 - 4 stops improvement (depending on lens), which ultimately can allow you to shoot at slower shutter/ lower ISO vs unstabilized and hence create higher IQ images. The beauty of having this on a full frame mirrorless camera is that it opens up classic Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Zeiss, Leica, etc. lenses to be shot in a stabilized body.

thomas998

In body stabilization mean any lens you put on the camera will be stabilized. Why is that important? Vs an unstabilzed setup it can give you an additional 2 - 4 stops improvement (depending on lens), which ultimately can allow you to shoot at slower shutter/ lower ISO vs unstabilized and hence create higher IQ images. The beauty of having this on a full frame mirrorless camera is that it opens up classic Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Zeiss, Leica, etc. lenses to be shot in a stabilized body.
I understand stabilizing on 2 axis, it is the other 3 I don't understand.

fractal

Original Poster
Wow, that was quick. Camera is officially announced.

Sony claims that the camera will use both in body and in lens stabilization with OSS lenses for super-duper stabilization.

Not clear if every E-mount body going forward will have stabilization or not so additional OSS lenses possible.

Pricing is estimated to be $1,600 for the world's first 5 axis stabilized mirrorless FF camera. Pretty damn tempting.

As far as 5 axis vs. 2...

x axis
y axis
roll
yaw
pitch

claims 4.5 stop compensation

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-gb/products/v6cd/feature.html?contentsTop=1

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Amazing progress by Sony again.

Canon and Nikon take 5 years to bring minimal changes to an existing body. Sony bring huge new features every year.

fractal

Original Poster
Some more details.

All third party lenses will be stabilized.

Upgrades vs. A7;

Better viewfinder

Improved video; XAVCs and s-log2

40% faster start up vs. A7.

30% faster AF

The camera is bigger than the A7 but still "small" - about the size of the Olympus m 4/3 omd e1.

thomas998

Amazing progress by Sony again.

Canon and Nikon take 5 years to bring minimal changes to an existing body. Sony bring huge new features every year.

Only reason I haven't sold all my nikon and embraced Sony is the lack of commitment to lenses from Sony, their in ability to commit to a lens mount and their history for quickly dropping support for products as they move to the next generation. I've got some sony equipment in my closet right now that is nothing more than a paperweight because they stopped supporting it when they went in a different direction. Not willing to take that chance with anything else from them until I know it wont be abandoned.

Gig 'Em Mickey

I'm hoping all you guys make the switch to Sony and are so desperate to buy new gear you'll offload your old school nikon gear to me for a good price.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm hoping all you guys make the switch to Sony and are so desperate to buy new gear you'll offload your old school nikon gear to me for a good price.

I actually went the other way. I had been a Canon shooter for the last decade plus and earlier this year added a Sony A7R and a few lenses to the bag. After about 8 months with the Sony, I got tired of the compromises that came with the Sony and just completed the sale of all my Canon and Sony gear and switched over to Nikon exclusively.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom