NEW Soarin Over California?!? o_O

mickEblu

Is there anyway they don't bring back Soarin Over California at some point? Or at least play it on one of the screens? California could be standby and World could be fastpass.

Californian Elitist

Is there anyway they don't bring back Soarin Over California at some point? Or at least play it on one of the screens? California could be standby and World could be fastpass.

DCA getting the World version in general doesn't sit right with me. I'm all for new footage of California, even if it's footage of the same places that are already in the video, but the World version should go elsewhere.

mickEblu

Yea I agree. At the very least keep CA on one of the screens after the buzz dies down. I feel like World will be popular because it's new and then people will want CA back. It's literally one of the few things DCA 1.0 got right and the awesome score has created a little bit of Nostalgia for a park that doesn't have very much of it. Anyway I do believe that it will be back at some point in the future in some way or another. The solution is just too easy and it would be almost like having 2 different E tickets at the same location.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Yea I agree. At the very least keep CA on one of the screens after the buzz dies down. I feel like World will be popular because it's new and then people will want CA back. It's literally one of the few things DCA 1.0 got right and the awesome score has created a little bit of Nostalgia for a park that doesn't have very much of it. Anyway I do believe that it will be back at some point in the future in some way or another. The solution is just too easy and it would be almost like having 2 different E tickets at the same location.

Exactly. I very much agree that Soarin' Over California was one of the few things about DCA. 1.0 Disney actually got right and was of great quality. As the park loses more and more of its California identity, losing this would be a travesty.

Curious Constance

Exactly. I very much agree that Soarin' Over California was one of the few things about DCA. 1.0 Disney actually got right and was of great quality. As the park loses more and more of its California identity, losing this would be a travesty.
I often wonder if Disney regrets making a whole theme park themed to California. Seems so restrictive, and they seem to be struggling with finding ways to make things fit.

Californian Elitist

I often wonder if Disney regrets making a whole theme park themed to California. Seems so restrictive, and they seem to be struggling with finding ways to make things fit.

They've turned it into a fantasy California. As bad as DCA 1.0 was, it was way more Californian than it is now.

This is an example of what I was talking about in the Star Wars Land thread, in terms of laziness and lack of imagination. The original Cars Land, for example, was nothing like what we have now. It was unique, it wasn't based on a Disney movie, or any movie, and it was very Californian. But no, can we have things that aren't based on a film? Nope. We have to have this new land be based on the movie Cars, even though the original concept was cooler and would have worked perfectly with DCA's theme.

GiveMeTheMusic

They've turned it into a fantasy California. As bad as DCA 1.0 was, it was way more Californian than it is now.

This is an example of what I was talking about in the Star Wars Land thread, in terms of laziness and lack of imagination. The original Cars Land, for example, was nothing like what we have now. It was unique, it wasn't based on a Disney movie, or any movie, and it was very Californian. But no, can we have things that aren't based on a film? Nope. We have to have this new land be based on the movie Cars, even though the original concept was cooler and would have worked perfectly with DCA's theme.

That was solely the work of John Lasseter, who used every bit of effort and political will he had to get his pet movie turned into a major land at DCA. Notice how you never hear about Lasseter having anything to do with WDI anymore?

D

Deleted member 107043

How is DCA less California? To me the park is more cohesive now than it was before, minus Cars Land, of course.

George Lucas on a Bench

I've only experienced DCA 2012-present, but DCA 1.0 looks so bad, I think I might have actually enjoyed the heck out of it. It did have a lot to live up to being built across the street from the greatest theme park of all time, but, man, what an almost complete and utter failure! It's true that the park is presently very Pixar-heavy, which is weird, but between Buena Vista Street (swoon) with our beloved Carthay Circle Lounge, the new Condor Flats with theming that reminds me of one of my favorite Spielberg flicks Always and the Jerry Goldsmith-scored Soarin', Dinky Tower (AKA The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, which west coasters erroneously and annoyingly refer to as the Hollywood Tower of Terror), the Grizzly Peak smoking section with literal and figurative water under the bridge courtesy of my personal life and good old Cars Land just oozing with ambiance and killer music loops...keep the drinks flowing and I'm a happy camper!

Californian Elitist

I dunno, I really don't mind much for DCA. The theme sucks so I don't feel like it's sacred, as opposed to DL.

Trust me, I feel the same way. I really, really like DCA, and I would like to see some changes, but my feelings for the place don't come anywhere close the the feelings I have for Disneyland. I agree DCA is not as "sacred." Star Wars Land doesn't fit in that park either, but I wouldn't have made one complaint had they announced it was going there.

George Lucas on a Bench

What annoys me about Soarin':

- The queue line that doesn't flow in any way to the ride
- The complete lack of illusion since you see the screen and how everything works before the ride begins
- The film's focus on sports like surfing, skiing, fishing, golfing (???) etc.
- The fast motion in the LA scene

Curious Constance

I really enjoy DCA. And I think it keeps getting better and better, I still feel it needs more to do though. I feel like there are way too many areas that are wasted. Bugs Life, is cute, but not fun at all. Nearly the whole Pier has rides that you can find anywhere and in my opinion aren't very fun. Theming is cool and can totally take an area to the next dimension, but if the rides stink, why bother?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom