NEW Smoking Settler's Cabin (Formerly Burning) as Seen from Liberty Belle Riverboat

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The only thing this thread validates is WDWMagic has become nothing but one big hate fest.

Not totally accurate. BUT, there has been a lot of things happening that are worthy of scorn.

Can you honestly say you think if Tony Baxter or Marc Davis were riding on the riverboat by this set... they would think 'nice job'?

The standard we are applying is THEIR standard.. not ours. So if you want to call us haters... hate on the Disney of old.

Indeed!

I truly do not understand the negativity on these boards anymore. Every thread started leads down a path that Disney stinks and nothing they do is right. I look to these boards for insider information on different Disney topics but often find just one negative post after another. It's become quite unpleasant to reads these boards. If you don't like Disney, why bother coming here and reading about it. Why not just go find a topic you truly like and post positive comments?

Buh Bye.

Nemo14

not sure how you're claiming Everest is reduced quality. are you perhaps referencing the infamous B-mode for the yeti? it's my impression that they canned the fully-functioning yeti mode because his movement damaged the structural integrity of his base, something that would likely require a massive rehab to fix. IMO AK at this point would have difficulty supporting that. i think it would be fairer to wait until Pandora opens up to see if they decide fix the yeti.
Yes I'm referencing the Yeti and how it has been "fixed" with a strobe light. Yes, to me compared to the original experience, it is reduced quality.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
not sure how you're claiming Everest is reduced quality. are you perhaps referencing the infamous B-mode for the yeti? it's my impression that they canned the fully-functioning yeti mode because his movement damaged the structural integrity of his base, something that would likely require a massive rehab to fix. IMO AK at this point would have difficulty supporting that. i think it would be fairer to wait until Pandora opens up to see if they decide fix the yeti.

it's been pretty well established around here that the Yeti can be fixed, it's just a matter of $$$. $$$ they don't want to spend, because, why bother?

flynnibus

Premium Member
because who's to say theyre not just waiting for Pandora to open to attract park-goers as Everest is fixed?

Because it's been a problem and decision made long before Pandora was a twinkle in Iger's eye.

There are credible sources who have cited there are solutions - they just have not/will not do what it takes to fix it.

Much like here... why bother doing the right fix if people will be happy if you just do 'something' (strobe..)

The Empress Lilly

Indifference and acceptance validates the bad behavior encouraging the company to continue to aim lower and lower.
Both the Canoes and the Keelboats and Aunt Polly's are missing. If somebody were to manage to return one of these to life, I'd applaud the effort. I'd still remember it is only one of three, but it is a step in the right direction.

Maybe somebody at Disney who 'gets it' wanted to make a difference, and worked hard until (s)he actually pulled off the feat of getting a budget approved for a show effect that nobody complained about had been missing for a decade, and that sells neither DVC nor merch nor F&B.

Somebody did decide to aim higher than a perennial broken effect that had gotten accepted as fait accompli. What if this effort is met with derision and hostility by the fan community? Does that encourage anybody to try to make a difference? Or does that encourage 'told you so's'? ("Told you so, the rubes don't notice and the foamers foam whatever you do")

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

im just worried about how AK would be without their backbone
But that is the problem. The real problem is not poor maintenance, but parks that are underinvested and misinvested in.

If DAK wouldn't have been build too cheap, and if it would've had more than four rides, Disney could close Everest for as long as they needed without an entire park grinding to a halt because one ride is taken off the roster.

Last edited:

prberk

But that is the problem. The real problem is not poor maintenance, but parks that are underinvested and misinvested in.

If DAK wouldn't have been build too cheap, and if it would've had more than four rides, Disney could close Everest for as long as they needed without an entire park grinding to a halt because one ride is taken off the roster.

Here is one place where I disagree with you. I do not think that they were cheap on building DAK, in that they spent the time and effort to grow/plant real plants representing the region, and building the animal habitats. The thrill rides in this park were secondary, and should still be. But I understand how, now that they have Everest, it is hard to take down for a lengthy service; however, I don't think it is killer any more than, say, Space Mountain was for its long refurb (especially the one at DL). They could still use more rides as DAK, I agree; but I don't think that they are the motivating factor there that they are at other parks. And I don't think they went especially cheap on that park. Just not in thrill rides.

Now, as for going cheap on this refurb... that's a different subject. And I do agree that we should applaud anyone wanting to fix it. They should fix it all the way, though; and the Mike Fink keel boats and canoes and Aunt Polly's would be nice, too. With the capacity issues that the MK has, it would be nice to have these attractions, not to mention how nice they are also as a slower-paced family alternative to the big-kid rides.

prberk

The only thing this thread validates is WDWMagic has become nothing but one big hate fest.

No, actually we love Walt Disney World and what it used to embody; and we hurt when we see it not living up not only to its proverbial potential, but at least to the standards it held for decades and made us love it in the first place. That is all.

And where else can we talk about it with people who understand, than in a fan forum? Certainly not on Disney's own "mommy blogs" (PR department).

I know that I really do want the best for WDW... and for it to inspire as many people as it can. It used to be known, even by non-fans, for being exceptional in cleanliness, maintenance, and service. Now, many people are going back to seeing it as fun but expensive and nothing exceptional. Something you "have" to bring your kids to at least once or even a few times, but nothing exceptional.

cw1982

This is a bit of an ironic statement, given your avatar.

I do see a lot of criticism in this thread (from myself included), but it's only because this is one more example of TDO missing the mark in ways that they don't have to fail. As @prberk said so eloquently, the standards have clearly shifted, and even though this is a minor offense compared to some of the others, it's still just one more glaringly obvious example of how things have changed.

Rob562

Not that I like joining these kind of threads since my middle-of-the-road outlook often seems to be the minority at times... but since this single video appears to be the only thing being used to based peoples' opinions on the effect (whether it's a good one or a bad one), is there any evidence that the effect is *done* being installed? Could there be more nozzles coming? Is there some kind of valve test & adjust to be done? Could the relative humidity of the air affect how the effect looks?

Just a couple questions to ponder.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom