New Ships (Dream/Fantasy) vs. Classic Ships (Magic/Wonder)

jpm46

Original Poster
Trying to decide between 2 cruises. One is a 4-night on the Dream, the other is a 6-night on the Magic. Price is almost the same. The only cruise we've taken was a couple years ago on one of the Inaugural Voyages of the Disney Dream. Would it be disappointing for us to go "down" to the Magic? I'd obviously love 2 more night of vacation, but it would be on the older ship.

Has anyone sailed on a classic and a new ship and can offer any insight? What are the major differences that you noticed? What would you do?

Disneyfalcon

Trying to decide between 2 cruises. One is a 4-night on the Dream, the other is a 6-night on the Magic. Price is almost the same. The only cruise we've taken was a couple years ago on one of the Inaugural Voyages of the Disney Dream. Would it be disappointing for us to go "down" to the Magic? I'd obviously love 2 more night of vacation, but it would be on the older ship.

Has anyone sailed on a classic and a new ship and can offer any insight? What are the major differences that you noticed? What would you do?

It's hard to say what one person will like and another won't, but I've sailed all 4. I've gone back and forth and never been disappointed. The common areas on the classics are smaller and the restaurants and night clubs are different. Obviously there's no AquaDuck on the classics. But other than that, the experience is the same. The service is amazing on all 4, the staterooms are about the same size, there's tons of activities, and the list goes on.

I love the new ships, but I choose my sailing by itineraries now because I'm happy on any of the ships. :)

Nmoody1

I've sailed all 4. I think it depends what you are looking for on your cruise.

I thinks spa offerings on the dream and fantasy are much more enjoyable and relaxing (whilst I prefer the temperature of saunas and steam rooms on the magic and fantasy)

I think I prefer Palo on the magic and wonder and also animators palate. I'd take enchanted garden over parrot cay any day!

I hunk the top decks on the magic and wonder always seem less crowded than on the newer ships - the pools never see to be as busy. I'm also a massive fan of Twice Charmed!

I'm sure whichever cruise you take you'll have a wonderful time!

bow0303

Seems like their is a much better selection of onboard activities on the classic ships compared to the newer ships like the Dream. Can anyone confirm that? Thanks.

My family thought that the outdoor activities were better on the newer ships. It was nice having the family pool & kids pool next to each other. Also the adult only deck on the newer ships seemed way bigger & more isolated from the kids on the newer ship. I also liked the way that the newer ships moved the kids clubs out of the atrium.
I thought the layout of the Walt Disney Theatre was better on the classic ships.
The food, shows, service, & Dining rooms were about the same. However, the buffet restaurant Cabanas seemed better laid out on the newer boats.
For the price, I would go for more days vacation.

ChuckElias

I've been on the Dream once and will be on the Fantasy next month. The rest of my [embarassingly large number] of Disney cruises have been on the classic ships. There are some great features on the Dream/Fantasy, but I love the Magic so much. I love Diversions, I love the Cadillac lounge. I love Lumiere's (MUCH more than the Royal restaurant on the Dream). On the other hand, I love the hot tubs in Quiet Cove MUCH more than the classic ships' Quiet Cove. I like Cabana's more than Topsider's. And I have to admit, I really liked the mini-golf on the Dream. Oh, and I also liked the set-up for Shutters better on the Dream. Much easier to find my family's pictures.

As far as shipboard activities, I can't really speak for the newer ships. But it seems like there's always something to attend on the classic ships. I have to think that the available activities are similar on the Fantasy. The only thing I remember for sure on the Dream was the walking tour, which is also available on the Magic/Wonder.

To me, I now choose my DCL trips based on where I want to go and what's affordable at the time, rather than the ship. Plus, whichever ship is showing Golden Mickeys gets a slight edge. . . :)

If I had to make your decision, I would almost always choose 6 nights over 4 nights for the same price. UNLESS the longer itinerary didn't include Castaway Cay for some reason. Then I would have to seriously consider the shorter cruise. As much as I loved the Alaska cruise, there's just something really disappointing about disembarking after your Disney cruise and realizing you didn't have a day at Castaway Cay.

P.S.-- @bradandsarabr, speaking of Castaway Cay, I love your avatar and hope to get one of my own next month!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom