New restaurants at Disney Springs look pretty good!

dreamfinder

I really like the sound of both of these places, they seem like high quality, well themed, fine experiences! Why the negative initial reactions?

You are talking about a crowd that gets excited over free dining. The very concept of which resulted in dumbing down menus and selection across the board. The same crowd that gets scared at the concept of trying americanized Moroccan food and wants the same 4 things on the menu at the Mexican restaurant they can find at the 3 "Mexican" restaurants in my town. If it doesn't have a animatronic dinosaur or gorilla in the lobby, or they don't have a $22.99 B grade strip steak on the menu they can use their DDP credits for, then it's not a good restaurant.

*Ducks for cover*

While I love the food at WDW, way to many people are scared of trying something new, and something they need to pay a la carte for. There are most certainly still great restaurants on property, but the number of people that go to places like Boma and just eat from the carving station, without even trying the different sauces bewilders me.

BigThunderMatt

I'm excited about Morimoto's despite the fact that pan-Asian typically means Americanized Chinese, Japanese and a little bit of Thai. I'm going to reserve any judgment until I eat there but man I would kill for some authentic gyudon or okonomiyaki somewhere in the Orlando metro area. It'd be nice for it to be offered at an upscale establishment helmed by a renowned Japanese chef.

wdwgreek

You are talking about a crowd that gets excited over free dining. The very concept of which resulted in dumbing down menus and selection across the board. The same crowd that gets scared at the concept of trying americanized Moroccan food and wants the same 4 things on the menu at the Mexican restaurant they can find at the 3 "Mexican" restaurants in my town. If it doesn't have a animatronic dinosaur or gorilla in the lobby, or they don't have a $22.99 B grade strip steak on the menu they can use their DDP credits for, then it's not a good restaurant.

*Ducks for cover*

While I love the food at WDW, way to many people are scared of trying something new, and something they need to pay a la carte for. There are most certainly still great restaurants on property, but the number of people that go to places like Boma and just eat from the carving station, without even trying the different sauces bewilders me.
So the negative reactions are because people aren't adventurous and the food is generic? I'd like to wait to see the menus before I judge that, it sounds Americanized, but i'd still reserve judgment for the when the place opens.

jt04

So the negative reactions are because people aren't adventurous and the food is generic? I'd like to wait to see the menus before I judge that, it sounds Americanized, but i'd still reserve judgment for the when the place opens.

I think the fact that DS restaurants are independent and not in a theme park gives the owners much more leeway to be more authentic with menu choices. I expect DS will recapture some of what was lost when PI and WS were added.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Man, I can't eat at this bar. This place is haunted.

bar.png
Scary
That said, these two places look promising. Although the Asian place seems more like a P.F. Changs on steroids
PF Changs on steroids wouldn't be so bad.

I should have qualified my statement. I am assuming these will be authentic, restored circa 1964 Amphicars you can ride in. And the drivers should be able to chat with you about their ancestry, production and drivetrains.

If these are fakes, then the deal is off. If these aren't real 1960's Amphicars and are newly made Chinese clones, and especially if the drivers are just dorky college kids working for beer money who don't know a thing about the vehicles, then I won't pay more than 5 bucks for a ride. Nor will I be impressed. :)

I'd be ok with any type of real amphicar. If it can drive on land, and float in water, I am all good. Doesn't have to have been manufactured in the 1960s.

wdw47

At first glance, these do not look a lot of the sit down options at the rest of WDW--which is great. Here's to hoping there will actually be a reason to head to the "Disney Village Marketplace" once again.

Texas84

I'm excited about Morimoto's despite the fact that pan-Asian typically means Americanized Chinese, Japanese and a little bit of Thai. I'm going to reserve any judgment until I eat there but man I would kill for some authentic gyudon or okonomiyaki somewhere in the Orlando metro area. It'd be nice for it to be offered at an upscale establishment helmed by a renowned Japanese chef.

Katsura had okonomiyaki for a while but I never tried it. Couldn't tell you how 'authentic' it was.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Morimoto's idea of pan-Asian is more along the lines of traditional dishes prepared with flavors and techniques from other countries it's hard to describe - you have to taste to understand.

It might be traditional Chinese dishes prepared in a Japanese style and flavoring. I like the results but if you are looking for 'Authentic Japanese' you will not find it at Morimoto because that's not what his style is all about.

dreamfinder

I would expect the food at these locations to not be generic based off the names associated with these projects. Even if it's Americanized (and most food in the US is to a point), I would be surprised/shocked if they accept the DDP, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see entrees starting at $30+. You could list a Wagu burger on a menu, and sell it for $35, and people would complain that it's not on the DDP, and that they have no idea what crazy protein Wagu is. I think we both can agree that a Wagu burger is an Americanized take on Wagu (probably a waste of great product) and you would get negative reactions from the Honey Boo Boo crowd (to steal the phrase from @WDW1974). I personally am looking forward to being able to eat at these places, regardless of the style of food as I hope it leans more towards a higher end style of cuisine.

Adam N

There is no way they won't use the DDP. That would kill their business if they didn't. Hopefully it doesn't dumb down their menu.

raymusiccity

It's just the nature of certain individuals on this Board to be stuck with a sour outlook.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been much of a reaction to the possibility of more entertainment venues:

"The BOATHOUSE at Disney Springs will be an upscale restaurant featuring Steaks, Chops Seafood and a wealth of live entertainment."

Maybe the 'wealth of live entertainment' will include a much welcomed return of 'Off Kilter' !!

Fleis76

*Ducks for cover*

I totally agree with you! I love trying new foods and it drives me nuts how unadventerous my family is when it comes to trying new things!

omurice

I think the fact that DS restaurants are independent and not in a theme park gives the owners much more leeway to be more authentic with menu choices. I expect DS will recapture some of what was lost when PI and WS were added.
Not sure I understand this last part - PI and WestSide when added caused the loss of something in MarketPlace?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom