New race to be announced in April

dreamfinder

Original Poster
Completely left this out of my trip report. The head of runDisney got on stage before the Princess 1/2 and said they would be announcing a new race sometime in April. No details beyond that.

They are running out of time of year during which they can hold a race. (Not that they have issues with having them one week after each other, see Princess/ESPN 2011) Not a huge fan of doing a half in June-August in FL heat.

I'm personally kinda hoping for a sprint tri, or maybe a mud/adventure type race above and beyond Everest.

Any thoughts/guesses?

frank2271

I'd like to see an "Amazing Race" type scavenger hunt. Taking a whole weekend or long weekend to finish. It could be done and done well.

What do you guys think?

Frank

dreamfinder

Original Poster
I noticed on the ESPN WWOS site a Marathon Relay - new for 2012 - is listed. Could this be the announcement?

I hope not. Just because its already been listed, I think it came out back when they posted the dates a few months ago. It's also not the first relay. First full marathon relay yes, but not first relay. And I don't personally think that is important enough to warrant the way he was hyping it up at the start.

disneyrcks

The RunDisney facebook page posted a clue today and it said Fantasia, Dumbo and Tangled. But I have no clue what it means lol!

Ariel484

The RunDisney facebook page posted a clue today and it said Fantasia, Dumbo and Tangled. But I have no clue what it means lol!

Did you read the comments? Some people don't seem too excited about playing RunDisney's little game...I'm talking about comments saying things like "You're dragging it out," "It's lost its impact," "I'm annoyed and bored with this clue stuff," etc. :lol:

TakeMeThere81

It said

Fantasia/Dumbo
Dumbo:Tangled(in smaller font)

A lot of people have been speculating about the possible numerical connections, i.e.

3/4
4:50

It think it is a new spring 3/4 marathon at Disneyland(because there is a huge demand for Disneyland races). I have no idea what the 4:50 means...maybe a relay reference of some sort...4 runners?...

Pioneer Hall

It said

Fantasia/Dumbo
Dumbo:Tangled(in smaller font)

A lot of people have been speculating about the possible numerical connections, i.e.

3/4
4:50

It think it is a new spring 3/4 marathon at Disneyland(because there is a huge demand for Disneyland races). I have no idea what the 4:50 means...maybe a relay reference of some sort...4 runners?...

Something tells me that the race will either require you to go to both coasts (which I find unlikely) or be offered at both coasts. Only reason I feel this way, is that both the WDW and DL facebook pages were advertising this yesterday. Seems like it wouldn't make sense to do that if they weren't going to give fans of each place something to look forward to. Of course, this could be completely wrong...but it's my guess.

dreamfinder

Original Poster
Reasons why FaceBook annoys me. I shouldn't have to provide my information just so you can sell me more ads. I am slightly interested in the clues to try to figure out what the new race will be, but it sounds like the format is important. Since what TakeMeThere81 says definitely sounds like it has more meaning than just the words provided.

A 3/4 marathon is possible, but a very strange distance. But then again, they tried a 13k, so not unheard of for them to choose random lengths. And then 4:50 could be the max finishing time. Since their 1/2s have a 3:30 finish time, and their fulls have a 7:00 finish time, 4:50 isn't terribly far off from 5:15 (extrapolated based on their actual times)

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
:lol:

They're good, aren't they? They're certainly generating a lot more interest than if they had just announced it. I'll have to go check out facebook (though the guesses will probably throw things off more than help).

Could Fantasia imply MGM and Dumbo imply either Animal Kingdom or MK?:shrug:

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Reasons why FaceBook annoys me. I shouldn't have to provide my information just so you can sell me more ads. I am slightly interested in the clues to try to figure out what the new race will be, but it sounds like the format is important. Since what TakeMeThere81 says definitely sounds like it has more meaning than just the words provided.

A 3/4 marathon is possible, but a very strange distance. But then again, they tried a 13k, so not unheard of for them to choose random lengths. And then 4:50 could be the max finishing time. Since their 1/2s have a 3:30 finish time, and their fulls have a 7:00 finish time, 4:50 isn't terribly far off from 5:15 (extrapolated based on their actual times)

That's interesting speculation and I think a 3/4 would be interesting because it is so strange (and unique). It would be a good stepping stone for people to make the transition from half to full, so they could attract a LOT of people with that goal in mind who never considered running at Disney before but would now have a reason to go for something unique.

. . . but getting that from those clues is still a real stretch.:lol:

faw286570

I think a 3/4 marathon is a great guess, and the best I have seen so far.

On Google maps, a quick estimate of the distance from Animal Kingdom to Magic Kingdom is just under 9 miles. Double this distance and it is about 18 miles round trip.

The distance of 3/4 of a marathon is 19.65 miles (26.2 * .75 = 19.65).

With a creative route, a 3/4 marathon distance between Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom could be achieved.

I would consider this distance. I look forward to seeing the official announcement. Once we know, I can determine if I can reasonably afford to do both the January weekend followed by a separate spring weekend.

MKCP 1985

A 3/4 marathon? Who ever heard of such a thing? :dazzle:

Then again, these are the same people who gave us a fabulous 13K night race themed around the Tower of Terror. :king: Those aren't exactly common. :lol:

I can't wait for the next clue!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom