New Park Maps?

The Visionary Soul

Also, just in case you are wondering:

Yes, the Backlot Tour was a last minute closure where they kept it quiet until the last minute, that's why it's still on these maps.

Yes, these maps are real and you can pick them up in countless good neighbor hotels and the FL turnpike service plazas, among other places.

Yes, this means that someone wants the hat gone, and contacted the artist who does these to remove it before construction started. Sadly, it looks like they lost the original map of this style of Disney-MGM Studios or they had an intern update the map to remove the hat, because they look really unprofessional, especially compared to the way the maps looked pre-hat days. Look at that bad editing on the Chinese Theater! It's not even balanced anymore. Not to mention the ugly look of everything where Mickey's face used to be. :/ It's bad. But it is authentic.

Also, notice they left the image of American Idol on the map too. Strange choice of things. I think it's safe to say that this map is going through a lot of changes, and this is just the first.

DinoInstitute

Don't be so dismissive to tell someone else that they are old. You obviously don't know what you're talking about. These maps have been living a double life continually, even after their retirement for the in-parks maps. Marketing insists on using these because in their words, "The new maps aren't for shiny, they're for navigation, which isn't what marketing needs."

Okay, so marketing never actually said those words. But I would feel confident that is exactly why they still have someone updating them and why they use them in these guides that they give out at hotels.
Yes, I know I didn't know they were old now...more information came along. You really did not have to quote this for any reason, because if you read on I clearly see that they are real. A lot happened between then and now, and you posted frequently too, so I don't understand.....

pumpkin7

There was a thread on facebook via the Attractions Magazine post above. I suggested moving the water tower to a more convenient viewing area, only to be told off because it's a real water tower. Oh, dopey me!
But yeah. I hope this map is a map of the future that Marty McFly left behind on his time travels. I bet no one thought of that did they, eh eh?

PhilharMagician

There was a thread on facebook via the Attractions Magazine post above. I suggested moving the water tower to a more convenient viewing area, only to be told off because it's a real water tower. Oh, dopey me!
But yeah. I hope this map is a map of the future that Marty McFly left behind on his time travels. I bet no one thought of that did they, eh eh?

The water tower is in a very convenient spot. It is clearly visible from World Drive as it was intended to be. Guests heading towards MK or Epcot will pass the water tower and know it is/was MGM Studios.

RAXIP

Fortunately the Earful Tower is just for show and non-functional. This was my concept from the other thread.
earful.png

PhilharMagician

I was thinking from more in the park to be honest, but I didn't know it was so useful to people driving. Fair point. :)

Well, it was when the Backlot tour was the center piece of the parks attractions. Problem is that the parks is lost and current is suffering from a lack of direction.

Fortunately the Earful Tower is just for show and non-functional. This was my concept from the other thread.

Thanks, I meant to add that bit into my last post.

FutureWorld1982

Would it be possible to build a stage that rises into place when needed? I ask because it would be very convenient to not have to install that ugly stage every single time there is a special event at the park. Also, they could bury two structures with lights on the side of the stage, so that all would rise at the same time when needed, but then lowered into place to have it disappear during the day. By removing the stage AND the hat you kill two birds with one stone.

pumpkin7

Oh good! So I wasn't being dopey. Hurrah!

Well, it was when the Backlot tour was the center piece of the parks attractions. Problem is that the parks is lost and current is suffering from a lack of direction.

No, I know it was when the Backlot Tour was open, I meant like, right now! I want my picture under that bad boy.

RAXIP

Would it be possible to build a stage that rises into place when needed? I ask because it would be very convenient to not have to install that ugly stage every single time there is a special event at the park. Also, they could bury two structures with lights on the side of the stage, so that all would rise at the same time when needed, but then lowered into place to have it disappear during the day. By removing the stage AND the hat you kill two birds with one stone.
I don't what their current plans are, but at one point (2010, I think) the plan was to do just this. Replace the Hat with a stage with retractable audio and lighting.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Disneyland has a hidden rising stage in Tomorrowland. It's really neat. Currently it is used for Jedi Training Academy. You can see the pictures here - http://www.yesterland.com/coketerrace.html

Rob562

Nope. It's pretty heavy and solidly anchored. It has to withstand hurricane force winds and is essentially permanent.

You also just described both the Hat and the SSE Wand... Pretty much anything built in WDW that can't be taken down with 48 hours notice has to be able to withstand a hurricane, even more-so the tallest structures.

"Heavy" and "solidly anchored" does not mean "cannot be moved". The "easy to be moved" observation is that it's *not* a functioning water tower and thus would not require the extensive water supply infrastructure changes that moving a real water tower would.

That being said, I don't think I'd support moving the Earful Tower.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom