New Park Maps?

FerretAfros

Would it be possible to build a stage that rises into place when needed? I ask because it would be very convenient to not have to install that ugly stage every single time there is a special event at the park. Also, they could bury two structures with lights on the side of the stage, so that all would rise at the same time when needed, but then lowered into place to have it disappear during the day. By removing the stage AND the hat you kill two birds with one stone.

It's entirely possible, and has been done before. The World of Color viewing area in DCA has a stage on a lift built in to the front edge of it, and uses the retractable light/sound towers from WOC to enhance its shows. DCA's short-lived Disney Channel Rocks! show used the stage for a few months, and it occasionally gets used for Armed Forces bands or similar special event groups, but it is no longer used on a regular basis

Because the terraces were designed for WOC viewing, it made for an awkward viewing experience for stage shows. Instead of the audience forming an arc around the stage like a typical theater setup, the stage arcs somewhat around the audience, which was on a round set of steps. The steps also made it difficult to see the show if there was a crowd, since the stage was at the same level as most of the viewing area. Additionally, the stage had to be broken down each night to allow for WOC viewing, which must have been a headache for the sage crew (and was done in plain sight of guests)

1105359195_RKCie-M.jpg

i-dCDWpMZ-M.jpg

If they were to build a similar stage in the Studios, I think it could work better because it wouldn't have the awkward terraces and stage shape to deal with. Additionally, they could leave the stage in place for a few days at a time (the Star Wars Weekends but not weekdays) and still remove it easily, and it would also just be more visually appealing than the 'temporary' one they have now

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's entirely possible, and has been done before. The World of Color viewing area in DCA has a stage on a lift built in to the front edge of it, and uses the retractable light/sound towers from WOC to enhance its shows. DCA's short-lived Disney Channel Rocks! show used the stage for a few months, and it occasionally gets used for Armed Forces bands or similar special event groups, but it is no longer used on a regular basis

Because the terraces were designed for WOC viewing, it made for an awkward viewing experience for stage shows. Instead of the audience forming an arc around the stage like a typical theater setup, the stage arcs somewhat around the audience, which was on a round set of steps. The steps also made it difficult to see the show if there was a crowd, since the stage was at the same level as most of the viewing area. Additionally, the stage had to be broken down each night to allow for WOC viewing, which must have been a headache for the sage crew (and was done in plain sight of guests)

1105359195_RKCie-M.jpg

i-dCDWpMZ-M.jpg

If they were to build a similar stage in the Studios, I think it could work better because it wouldn't have the awkward terraces and stage shape to deal with. Additionally, they could leave the stage in place for a few days at a time (the Star Wars Weekends but not weekdays) and still remove it easily, and it would also just be more visually appealing than the 'temporary' one they have now

With today's technology, why not make it rise out of the ground and when the show is over it lowers back into the ground with the top of the stage fitting perfectly on the ground? o-o

Brian Swan

I am a professional PhotoShop user, and I have prepared "similar" maps for local annual events. No doubt, the basic artwork is in a background layer, and all of the location names, numbers, captions, parade routes, (hats), etc are on separate layers. The BAH can be made to "go away" from the map with one click of the mouse to hide the layer. Hiding and unhiding layers is a regular part of the design process. I don't know this as an absolute fact, but I have to assume that this pamphlet distributed to non-Disney sites in Orlando is an "official" product of the Disney Corp (if it wasn't, I assume that Disney would have it shut down in half a heartbeat). The REAL question is this: Was the graphic artist working on the updated map TOLD to leave the BAH layer hidden, or did he "forget" to unhide it, and no one in QA noticed it before it went to print? Or...does he, like most of us, HATE the BAH and intentionally left the layer hidden in hopes that QA wouldn't catch it until it was too late...

Can't shed any insight on the answer to that question, but I can assure you that making the hat appear and disappear is as basic a PhotoShop 101 skill as there is...

phatcatrun

With today's technology, why not make it rise out of the ground and when the show is over it lowers back into the ground with the top of the stage fitting perfectly on the ground? o-o

That type of technology has been around and in place at smaller amusement parks for years. Having seen it work first hand I can say it looks incredibly cheesy. But looks aside, I think this would be a construction nightmare. I could be wrong but I don't believe DHS has utilidors so they would have to not only dig at least 30 feet into the ground for a stage set (assuming a 6 ft high stage and 25 feet for light rigs) but they would have to ensure that digging in that spot would not make any surrounding structure (building, walkway, or otherwise) would remain structurally sound.

But then again I could be talking out of my BAH when it comes to the construction part.

Rob562

The Magic Kingdom had something similar inside Cosmis Ray's where Sonny Eclipse currently resides.

It still does and is still used for some music groups as part of the high school student Magic Music Days. Sonny just sits on top of the "roof" of the stage.

Sonny has a "going on break" spiel and then he rises into the ceiling as the stage comes up from below.

-Rob

articos

You also just described both the Hat and the SSE Wand... Pretty much anything built in WDW that can't be taken down with 48 hours notice has to be able to withstand a hurricane, even more-so the tallest structures.

"Heavy" and "solidly anchored" does not mean "cannot be moved". The "easy to be moved" observation is that it's *not* a functioning water tower and thus would not require the extensive water supply infrastructure changes that moving a real water tower would.

That being said, I don't think I'd support moving the Earful Tower.

-Rob
Rob, correct, it does not have the infrastructure that goes with a functioning tower, although it does have electrical and communications gear. Anything can be moved - it's a matter of cost, logistics and the condition of the structure. Structurally it is a bit more solid than both the Hat and the Wand, which are/were essentially heavy duty scaffolding. Although both of those also have to withstand hurricane force winds, they were intended to be temporary installations. The Tower was not. I get your point - it would definitely be easier to move without the piping and pumping equipment, but it would likely be cheaper to simply fabricate a new one offsite and install. This is all just talk, however - not happening. It was asked whether it would easy to simply pick it up and move it - was just giving an answer.

jrh1985

It still does and is still used for some music groups as part of the high school student Magic Music Days. Sonny just sits on top of the "roof" of the stage.

Sonny has a "going on break" spiel and then he rises into the ceiling as the stage comes up from below.

-Rob
Wow! Did they rebuild the ceiling when Sonny came? There's a YT Video of Rap N Roll from Cosmic's. All that was on top of the stage was a sign for the show. So no room needed in the ceiling.

Cesar R M

Rob, correct, it does not have the infrastructure that goes with a functioning tower, although it does have electrical and communications gear. Anything can be moved - it's a matter of cost, logistics and the condition of the structure. Structurally it is a bit more solid than both the Hat and the Wand, which are/were essentially heavy duty scaffolding. Although both of those also have to withstand hurricane force winds, they were intended to be temporary installations. The Tower was not. I get your point - it would definitely be easier to move without the piping and pumping equipment, but it would likely be cheaper to simply fabricate a new one offsite and install. This is all just talk, however - not happening. It was asked whether it would easy to simply pick it up and move it - was just giving an answer.
hold on, communication gear?
there is an antenna inside?

WondersOfLife

That type of technology has been around and in place at smaller amusement parks for years. Having seen it work first hand I can say it looks incredibly cheesy. But looks aside, I think this would be a construction nightmare. I could be wrong but I don't believe DHS has utilidors so they would have to not only dig at least 30 feet into the ground for a stage set (assuming a 6 ft high stage and 25 feet for light rigs) but they would have to ensure that digging in that spot would not make any surrounding structure (building, walkway, or otherwise) would remain structurally sound.

But then again I could be talking out of my BAH when it comes to the construction part.

Nah.. I think Disney can manage a giant hole just fine. And it doesn't have to look cheesy if it's done right. Mainly if the stage is not noticeable at all once it's in the ground. The stage itself wouldn't have to look cheesy. Nothing would need to fold, they would just have to push a button and watch it disappear into the ground. I don't care if they put fog machines or whatever around it in the process... It would be a great idea o-o

The Visionary Soul

I am a professional PhotoShop user, and I have prepared "similar" maps for local annual events. No doubt, the basic artwork is in a background layer, and all of the location names, numbers, captions, parade routes, (hats), etc are on separate layers. The BAH can be made to "go away" from the map with one click of the mouse to hide the layer. Hiding and unhiding layers is a regular part of the design process. I don't know this as an absolute fact, but I have to assume that this pamphlet distributed to non-Disney sites in Orlando is an "official" product of the Disney Corp (if it wasn't, I assume that Disney would have it shut down in half a heartbeat). The REAL question is this: Was the graphic artist working on the updated map TOLD to leave the BAH layer hidden, or did he "forget" to unhide it, and no one in QA noticed it before it went to print? Or...does he, like most of us, HATE the BAH and intentionally left the layer hidden in hopes that QA wouldn't catch it until it was too late...

Can't shed any insight on the answer to that question, but I can assure you that making the hat appear and disappear is as basic a PhotoShop 101 skill as there is...
That's not what happened here. This map doesn't have a layer hidden, if you look closely, they even attempted to re-draw the side of the Chinese Theater. It doesn't even match up with the left side. No, this was not just hiding a layer. This was edited.

Brad Bishop

The water tower is in a very convenient spot. It is clearly visible from World Drive as it was intended to be. Guests heading towards MK or Epcot will pass the water tower and know it is/was MGM Studios.

Is it still. I remember it being very prominent 25 years ago. Those trees along World Drive have grown and I don't think it's as easily visible any longer.

When this was all brought up I thought about it and I can't remember the last time I saw the Earffel tower from World Drive. Then I went to Google Earth and looked it it from the street and couldn't see it. I only made two passes, I think so I may have just been clumsy on the placement. Still, I don't think it's as visible either inside or outside of the park.

I do like the pictures of Disney Studios entrance in Paris where the tower is right up front. I think it has a nice look to it.

180º

More like, with 1967's technology. ;)
http://www.yesterland.com/coketerrace.html

Also note the lack of cheese or utilidor in its implementation. I should mention that it does connect to the adjacent building's basement, however.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

You don't even need today's technology. You could use technology from the 1970s to do that. I think Tomorrowland had a stage like that.
More like, with 1967's technology. ;)
http://www.yesterland.com/coketerrace.html

Also note the lack of cheese or utilidor in its implementation. I should mention that it does connect to the adjacent building's basement, however.

Whoa dude... You could do that in the stone age?! :eek:

(jk, jk.) That looks great! That's exactly what I was thinking of too. Except without the big scenery on top. I was thinking that the ground would make it not noticeable and the actual ground would like go down into the ground and split to two sides and then a stage would come up!

But I could see some possible injury with that happening anyways. :confused: Thanks for sharing that link! That was awesomesauce.

lazyboy97o

Whoa dude... You could do that in the stone age?! :eek:

(jk, jk.) That looks great! That's exactly what I was thinking of too. Except without the big scenery on top. I was thinking that the ground would make it not noticeable and the actual ground would like go down into the ground and split to two sides and then a stage would come up!

But I could see some possible injury with that happening anyways. :confused: Thanks for sharing that link! That was awesomesauce.
Sonny Eclipse at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe is sitting on top of a similar stage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom