New Packet Pick-Up Rules

FerretAfros

Original Poster
Disney quietly updated new packet pick-up rules late yesterday, requiring each runner to get their own packet:

Packet Pick-Up
  • Download and complete your personalized race waiver on-line (available approximately one month prior to event).
  • Visit the Disneyland® Half Marathon Expo at Disneyland® Hotel Exhibit Hall to pick up your Race Packet.
  • You must have a valid ID in order to pick up your packet (driver’s license, passport, Military ID, Government issued ID.)
  • If you do not have a valid photo ID we cannot issue you your race bib. No exceptions will be made.

YOU MUST PICK UP YOUR OWN PARTICIPANT PACKET (WHICH INCLUDES YOUR EVENT-ISSUED BIB NUMBER AND TIMING DEVICE) DURING REGULARLY SCHEDULED HOURS. Individuals will no longer be able to pick up participant packets on behalf of others.

This currently shows up on the runDisney site for DL1/2, TOT, W&D, and Avengers (and 3 of those weekends opened registration a while back). The 2015 races aren't showing it yet, but I assume they will be updated in the near future

Personally, I understand the reasoning behind this (fewer illegal transfers, more traffic to expo vendors, spend more time on Disney property), but I think it's a very unfriendly change, especially for races that people have already registered and may have booked travel for. Depending how they work this out, I may not be able to do the W&D 5K that I've already registered for, since I'm not sure if I can take the extra time off work to get down there earlier

In the past, they've offered an unpublicized race day bib pick up. I would assume with the new policy, that queue will be much longer, and more popular (for my own reasons, I hope it's so popular that they have to rethink the new policy entirely, but that seems unlikely)

Kristia

Disney quietly updated new packet pick-up rules late yesterday, requiring each runner to get their own packet:

This currently shows up on the runDisney site for DL1/2, TOT, W&D, and Avengers (and 3 of those weekends opened registration a while back). The 2015 races aren't showing it yet, but I assume they will be updated in the near future

Personally, I understand the reasoning behind this (fewer illegal transfers, more traffic to expo vendors, spend more time on Disney property), but I think it's a very unfriendly change, especially for races that people have already registered and may have booked travel for. Depending how they work this out, I may not be able to do the W&D 5K that I've already registered for, since I'm not sure if I can take the extra time off work to get down there earlier

In the past, they've offered an unpublicized race day bib pick up. I would assume with the new policy, that queue will be much longer, and more popular (for my own reasons, I hope it's so popular that they have to rethink the new policy entirely, but that seems unlikely)
Wow...that does make it hard for a lot of people. It helps to be able to have a back-up plan too in case there are flight delays so I guess if you are delayed you are screwed. Luckily, I have never had to have someone pickup my packet. I have always been able to arrive at least a day or two before the event, but I feel for the people who don't have that luxury. Busy or not, if they are going to implement this plan, they need to have an alternative for people that can't get there for the expo. I know a couple large races by me that require pickup in person have offered race day pickup for a fee. They do have a limit on the number of people that can pick up on race day but it would certainly help those that can't be there for the expo.

FerretAfros

Original Poster
I'm already hearing reports that rD has said they'll allow same-day bib pickups for the races. In the past, the same-day pickup has only been for the bib, and you have to go to the expo later to retrieve your shirt, so if you're doing the weekend's title race you wouldn't have a way to get the shirt since the expo isn't open after that race. Who knows how this will pan out...

LindsayLoves

New York Road Runners (NYRR) have just implemented the SAME policy for the NYC Half Marathon this weekend and I am assuming this will carry on to the Brooklyn Half as well. For the halfs that have expos they have always allowed you to use a proxy in the past (not the NYC Marathon, that's always in person) so this is a big blow to people. For their typical weekend races NYRR are very relaxed about bib pick up, you can send one person from your group who is able to pick up as many bibs/t-shirts as they like as long as they have names and ages, and they usually have race day pick up.

People the most upset are those coming in from out of state (CT, NJ, PA) who live just far enough away that they come in on race morning but don't need to spend an overnight. I would be annoyed to but hey thems the rules.

@Kristia - I like the idea of race day pick up for a fee with limits to how many people can take part in it, but of course the whiners would just say that NYRR are just trying to nickle and dime them out of more money.

People want them to do bib mailing but that is a slippery slope of its own, what happens when bibs get lost in the mail, or you sign up for a race 6 months prior and then end up moving before the race and can't change your address?

-em

I'm surprised it took this long honestly as I know RunDis knows about all the FB posts/boards/etc on reselling bibs

It doesnt affect me at all since Ive always only picked up my own bibs but if the rumors are true about race day pick up are true Id LOVE that one as I hate having to use the extra vaca day since I almost always work though 'expo hours' and live locally to WDW.. All of my other races offer it and even on races its 'race day only' pickup its a breeze (and I love not having to drive out twice or forced to spend a night with races 1.5-2 hrs away)

FerretAfros

Original Poster
I called last night and talked to a DL-specific person (since I assumed the WDW team would be gone by the time I had a chance to call), and she said that they will offer race day bib pick up, beginning 2 hours before the race. To get your shirt and other stuff, you'll still need to go to the expo later (no word on how they'll handle the shirts for the last race of each weekend when there is expo later) and walk past all the vendors

For the races I've already registered for, this is an adequate solution. For Dumbo and W&D 5K, I wasn't sure if I'd arrive early enough the night before to go to the expo, but I'll have plenty of time to go on Saturday for both. DL's location is convenient from the parks, and W&D Saturday was going to be a non-park day any way, so it works. I'm still a little concerned for my running buddies coming from the west coast for Marathon Weekend, but I guess they'll just have to miss out on some park time after one of the races

-em

I wonder how many people will not stop and pick up their shirts then.. I also think for the most part after the first 2-3 hours of the expo the lines die down to a trickle so the time potentially spent post race wont be significant (baring travel time to and from) I know for the last few races (baring princess 2013 and DLR 2013) when I showed up 2+ hours into expo time I experienced no to very minimal waits (like 1-2 people ahead of me)

course come to think of it- once bibs were in hand it wouldnt necessarily need to be everyone that went to shirt pick up since you would just need the claim ticket..

Maryssa*

They implemented this at the LA marathon too. It really is just a safety precaution. Not a moneygrab over hotels like the rD facebook crowd insists. It definitely is an inconvenience to many people but hopefully the morning-of pickup will work out okay.

FerretAfros

Original Poster
I've been thinking about this some more, and it will be interesting to see how the new policy works for DL1/2, which is the race that will probably put the most stress on the system. I could see a lot of soCal locals running Dumbo, waiting to pick up their bib Saturday morning (eliminating the stress of driving there during holiday weekend rush hour) and then hitting the expo as soon as it opens on Saturday after the 10K.

I could see this leading to enormous bib pick up lines (which will probably have consolidated volunteer staffing, making them move slowly) and even bigger crowds right when the expo opens (which is already bad enough there). It will be interesting to see what tweaks they make moving forward

-em

I think in so many ways the popularity boom with distance races in general has shown 'cracks' in the system as a whole..
When you are only running 40-80% of your 'max capacity' letting a few people 'slide' isnt the biggest of deals- when you are running 100% of your max capacity it is an issue. Having 'proverbial' 100s of people running in the 'incorrect corral' due to a bib purchase is a safety issue.

While Boston was a tragedy that while wasnt 'runner caused' I think the analysis of it helped to show where there were gaps in security/safety that while prob would have not prevented Boston can help prevent opportunity for another issue whether large or small...

There will always be people who try to circumvent safety measures to create terror and trauma but if you atleast make it *that* much more difficult I'll abide by it..

Ariel484

They're delaying the change...basically it's not going into effect for races that had already sold out before the new policy was announced and will start at the Avengers Half Marathon.

http://www.rundisney.com/blog/articles/packet-pick-up-update-03-24-14/
PACKET PICK-UP POLICY UPDATE

We recently updated the Packet Pick-Up Policy for allrunDisney events. In listening to your feedback afterrunDisney.com was updated, we understand it has caused travel concerns for some of our upcoming events that were already on sale or sold out.

To help you plan for these upcoming events and address your concerns around travel, we have delayed the implementation of the new policy for events that are already publicly on-sale.

The original Packet Pick-Up Policy is in effect for the following events, allowing you to pick-up packets for other runners using the appropriate Packet Pick-Up Authorization Form:

The new Packet Pick-Up policy, requiring all runners to pick up their own packets goes into effect starting with the Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland® Resort in November. This policy will also be in place for all runDisney events moving forward.

Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you soon at a runDisney race!

Disney Dawg88

I'm not sure what to think about this, and a lot of my uncertain feeling is based on personal experience as I've almost missed the expo closing and getting delayed travel wise. First, let me say if they've identified a potential security issue and that is part if the basis of this new rule then I can understand it. So I've been on the good and the bad of the "old" policy. I've been a part of the WDW marathon weekend for many years, and I've run the Disneyland half one year, so I have experience with this. I also live in Atlanta so I have experience traveling to these races, both driving and flying.

In regards to the WDW marathon weekend, there are a lot of participants that come from outside of Florida and most have to fly to get there. Since it's in January, often times weather is really bad across the majority of the country and flights get delayed or cancelled. What happens to those people who can't get to the expo until Friday, or get there after the expo closes at 6 or 7 on Friday? You can't have same day pick up unless you're planning on having the expo open from 12 am to 3 or 4 am as the half starts at 6 am.

So those are some of my thoughts/concerns at 1:28 am. Also, does runDisney care about people re-selling their bibs? I don't think that are that many people who buy these to re-sell them. The cost of the bib is expensive as it is, and I can't see people paying out that money to try and maybe make $5-$25 a couple months later. Just my opinion anyway.

LindsayLoves

They're delaying the change...basically it's not going into effect for races that had already sold out before the new policy was announced and will start at the Avengers Half Marathon.

http://www.rundisney.com/blog/articles/packet-pick-up-update-03-24-14/

Solid move runDisney, I think this is very fair and everyone should stop complaining.... now.

I do think they should extend expo hours for packet pickup only(send the vendors home for the night) because as @Disney Dawg88 said above most of the races are scheduled during months in which weather can be a huge variable and travel delays can and will happen.

FerretAfros

Original Poster
In regards to the WDW marathon weekend, there are a lot of participants that come from outside of Florida and most have to fly to get there. Since it's in January, often times weather is really bad across the majority of the country and flights get delayed or cancelled. What happens to those people who can't get to the expo until Friday, or get there after the expo closes at 6 or 7 on Friday? You can't have same day pick up unless you're planning on having the expo open from 12 am to 3 or 4 am as the half starts at 6 am.

In the past, they have made accommodations for people with travel delays. I know they've definitely done this for the last 2 Marathon Weekends, but I assume that it's happened other times as well. They have an unpublicized bib pick up at the Runner Relations tent the morning of the race, so folks can get their bibs and run. They'll still have to go to the expo for their shirt (I have no idea how that would work for the final race of each weekend, with no expo after), but it seems like a fair solution.

That approach was also what they have been telling people who called to ask about the new pick-up rules, if they'd already booked travel or registered for the race with certain travel assumptions. No word yet on if this option will be available in the future, but they like to keep it on the down low

So those are some of my thoughts/concerns at 1:28 am. Also, does runDisney care about people re-selling their bibs? I don't think that are that many people who buy these to re-sell them. The cost of the bib is expensive as it is, and I can't see people paying out that money to try and maybe make $5-$25 a couple months later. Just my opinion anyway.

I think that re-selling bibs was a huge factor in this decision. I would assume that it's mostly people who intended to run the race but can't for any number of reasons (injury, pregnancy, change of plans, etc), so they sell it to somebody else, simply to recoup their own losses. As far as I know, there aren't people who hoard race registrations to sell them later (that's only the merchandise! :) ). This allows Disney to make sure that there's no re-selling, that the course isn't more crowded than they forecasted, and that each person's bib is linked to the right emergency contact info. It's probably a smart change of policy, even if it is inconvenient for us

Ariel484

I hope the race day pick-up is true...if not this is sort of an issue for me. My husband is a teacher and can't take multiple personal days in a row, so he'll normally fly in Friday evening after work and take Monday as a personal day. He's only done one race at Disney (the Jingle Jungle 5K) and for that I arrived earlier Friday and picked up his packet. It's much nicer to have him come in Friday evening and still have all day Saturday/Sunday and most of the day Monday, rather than, say, taking the personal day on Friday to get to the expo. I guess he could fly in Thursday evening...?

He's not exactly chomping at the bit to do another Disney race so maybe this WON'T end up being a problem for us, but I could see it being an issue for other people if they can't make their days off work out so that they could get the packets.

Again...if they really do have day-of pick-up then that seems like a good compromise.

Disney Dawg88

I think that re-selling bibs was a huge factor in this decision. I would assume that it's mostly people who intended to run the race but can't for any number of reasons (injury, pregnancy, change of plans, etc), so they sell it to somebody else, simply to recoup their own losses. As far as I know, there aren't people who hoard race registrations to sell them later (that's only the merchandise! :) ). This allows Disney to make sure that there's no re-selling, that the course isn't more crowded than they forecasted, and that each person's bib is linked to the right emergency contact info. It's probably a smart change of policy, even if it is inconvenient for us

I know that when I looked on some marathon boards in Dec and Jan, I had a friend that was interested in running the WDW half with me this year, the majority of the bibs that I saw that were available were because of injury. The others said that something came up and they could not travel Orlando for the race. I know it won't happen but I think if that's the case runDisney should at least offer them a refund/partial refund, or maybe even a credit towards a future race. I would hope that would happen if I got injured anyway.

Ariel484

I know that when I looked on some marathon boards in Dec and Jan, I had a friend that was interested in running the WDW half with me this year, the majority of the bibs that I saw that were available were because of injury. The others said that something came up and they could not travel Orlando for the race. I know it won't happen but I think if that's the case runDisney should at least offer them a refund/partial refund, or maybe even a credit towards a future race. I would hope that would happen if I got injured anyway.
Or bib transfer? That would be a joce option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom