New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I hate to say I agree with you on this, so "I concur"... While I'd much rather see stadium seating the closer images seems to suggest that this will be standing room only. This would help to answer SOME of the concern in regards to the show's capacity. I wonder what the actual trade-off is attendance wise sitting vs standing...

If it was an open area for standing then it would have a higher capacity the sitting, but since this has the wall to lean against, it probably won't increase the capacity much if at all over sitting.

Jon81uk

...and, there's nothing really wrong with every single child sitting on a low wall with every single adult standing behind them. Seems like a logical answer to expanding the use of an area around the lagoon. From the looks of the test footage, most of the show will have elevated displays and sight lines.

Yes, the equiliant of picture B in Coaster Lovers post, where the sitting person with dangling is a child and there parent is behind them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The walls are certainly curious... I've (crudely) drawn out the necessary conditions for either sitting or standing. Scheme A is the ideal configuration for seating as the "benches" are at the back of the "run" of each step allowing for people with "normal" size legs to be able to sit and have their feet touch to the front of the run of each step. Scheme A is not ideal for standing as there is really nothing to lean against in front of you to prevent you from falling into the row in front of you. HOWEVER, Scheme A is NOT currently how the images are showing the viewing area. The viewing are currently appears to be like Scheme B with the "benches" (or more appropriately, "walls") being at the front of each "run" of each step allowing for something to lean against in front of you. Scheme B is not ideal for sitting as the distance to the ground is much greater. With the steepness of the viewing area, if the intention was to stand, having something to lean against in front of you would be necessary, however, I'm curious (if this is the intention) why they would have made them so wide"? If these walls are for leaning, they could have been substantially more narrow (4"-6" as opposed to the perceived 10"-12") allowing for a substantially greater amount of area for standing.

Could the intention be to come back and fill in the area between the "wall" and the "rise" of each step (as in Scheme C) to make this more appropriate for seating? It could certainly explain why the front of the "rise" has no stone work.

View attachment 111581

Where I have circled in red in this picture it looks like the stone veneer doesn't go all the way down, what I have circled appears to be cinder block. This would indicate that they are going to fill in to that level making these sitting height.

Capture.JPG

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
This would indicate that they are going to fill in to that level making these sitting height.

I would have to agree. Additionally, if these are intended to be leaning rails, then I believe they would need to be at least a minimum of 4' in height (I'm sure someone can find the exact safety requirements for such railing). Given that the top of these walls seems to be about half the height, that would mean the top would need to be 2' wide which would just seem a huge waste of space. Additionally, putting any child under 4' in height (who logically would not be able to see over such a wall) up to sit on this wall seems like a safety nightmare. The tops appear to be closer to 1' wide with the height being closer to 2' (much more appropriate for sitting) and if you look at some of the other images that have people in the shot, this scale seems much more appropriate. I believe they are still going to fill in the area between these walls and this will all be seating (and some very nice benches at that!).

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Fantasmic (at Walt Disney World) is the only nighttime spectacular in the world that has seating.

Yes I know that and that is one of the reasons it is my favorite thing to do at night. I have been to every Disney park in the world and the seating at Fantasmics! is one of the things that add to the experience vs the other parks. I loved DisneySeas in Tokyo, but watching the shows on the lake was a pain. Getting there early, standing waiting for the show to start, repositioning to avoid the people in front of you, etc. If you are going to do a show, build seating!

peter11435

Yes I know that and that is one of the reasons it is my favorite thing to do at night. I have been to every Disney park in the world and the seating at Fantasmics! is one of the things that add to the experience vs the other parks. I loved DisneySeas in Tokyo, but watching the shows on the lake was a pain. Getting there early, standing waiting for the show to start, repositioning to avoid the people in front of you, etc. If you are going to do a show, build seating!
Understandable. For me I feel the seating for Fantasmic takes away from the experience. That's one of the things I feel makes the Disneyland version of the show superior. It isn't taking place in a purpose built venue. Instead it comes alive all around you right in the middle of the park.

Monorail_Red_77

The walls are certainly curious... I've (crudely) drawn out the necessary conditions for either sitting or standing. Scheme A is the ideal configuration for seating as the "benches" are at the back of the "run" of each step allowing for people with "normal" size legs to be able to sit and have their feet touch to the front of the run of each step. Scheme A is not ideal for standing as there is really nothing to lean against in front of you to prevent you from falling into the row in front of you. HOWEVER, Scheme A is NOT currently how the images are showing the viewing area. The viewing are currently appears to be like Scheme B with the "benches" (or more appropriately, "walls") being at the front of each "run" of each step allowing for something to lean against in front of you. Scheme B is not ideal for sitting as the distance to the ground is much greater. With the steepness of the viewing area, if the intention was to stand, having something to lean against in front of you would be necessary, however, I'm curious (if this is the intention) why they would have made them so wide"? If these walls are for leaning, they could have been substantially more narrow (4"-6" as opposed to the perceived 10"-12") allowing for a substantially greater amount of area for standing.

Could the intention be to come back and fill in the area between the "wall" and the "rise" of each step (as in Scheme C) to make this more appropriate for seating? It could certainly explain why the front of the "rise" has no stone work.

View attachment 111581
Nice graphic ;)
This could also be useful in a Stalking 101 class. LOL

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Understandable. For me I feel the seating for Fantasmic takes away from the experience. That's one of the things I feel makes the Disneyland version of the show superior. It isn't taking place in a purpose built venue. Instead it comes alive all around you right in the middle of the park.

I guess that I am just getting to old for having an area without seating. At Disneyland we got to the show early to find a place that we could watch. Had to move several times as more people filled up the limited space. Had a hard time keeping are group together due to the flow of the crowd. Than had a hard time seeing everything because the group standing in front of us keep moving during the show. Give me a seat that I can relax and watch the show anytime.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Making the walls "to lean on" in the first place was a mistake. Where do you think many parents are going to place their wee precocious one? On the wall. This may lead to more issues than they bargained for.

Many moons ago I held my 18 month old son on my shoulders during Mickey's Christmas Party Fireworks Spectacular of Extraordinary Awesomeness (MCPFSoEA) near the Main Street train station. See, we were far away, I wasn't blocking anyone's view. Well, I guess you could count that 90 year old woman who had a lone tear rolling down her cheek like that Native American in that old anti-littering ad that may well be the most effective advertisement in history. In the middle of the show (firework number 38 by my count) I felt my shoulders and back pleasantly warmed on that chilly Florida night as warm wee flowed down my left shoulder and back due to that side of the diaper not being closed properly. It takes about 90 seconds for wee to become the coldest liquid on planet earth. However, when life gives you lemons....I learned that using the smell and an ability to act like a stumble bum drunk carrying a baby, I was indeed able to hasten my exit from the party and board the boat to WL in extraordinarily efficient fashion as people are mildly concerned about a urine soaked belligerent drunk and tend to get out of his way. Once seated, I yelled, "You're all Fools! Alchohol isn't served in the Kingdom of Magic! I just smell like urine!"

Last edited:

Figment2005

Many moons ago I held my 18 month old son on my shoulders during Mickey's Christmas Party Fireworks Spectacular of Extraordinary Awesomeness (MCPFSoEA) near the Main Street train station. See, we were far away, I wasn't blocking anyone's view. Well, I guess you could count that 90 year old woman who had a lone tear rolling down her cheek like that Native American in that old anti-littering ad that may well be the most effective advertisement in history. In the middle of the show (firework number 38 by my count) I felt my shoulders and back pleasantly warmed on that chilly Florida night as warm wee flowed down my left shoulder and back due to that side of the diaper not being closed properly. It takes about 90 seconds for wee to become the coldest liquid on planet earth. However, when life gives you lemons....I learned that using the smell and an ability to act like a stumble bum drunk carrying a baby, I was indeed able to hasten my exit from the party and board the boat to WL in extraordinarily efficient fashion as people are mildly concerned about a urine soaked belligerent drunk and tend to get out of his way. Once seated, I yelled, "You're all Fools! Alchohol isn't served in the Kingdom of Magic! I just smell like urine!"
Thanks for the chuckle.

PoorSkippy

I thought Rivers of Light was supposed to open in March/April 2016, but today's article says May. :(

Do we know for sure this is delayed now? I'll be so disappointed to miss it by just a couple weeks.

LWB

I thought Rivers of Light was supposed to open in March/April 2016, but today's article says May. :(

Do we know for sure this is delayed now? I'll be so disappointed to miss it by just a couple weeks.

I know we had all been hoping that spring meant March/April rather than later! Where did the May 2016 come from in today's post? Didn't know if it was definitely no earlier than May, or if there was still a chance it might open before then?

Peter Pano

I know we had all been hoping that spring meant March/April rather than later! Where did the May 2016 come from in today's post? Didn't know if it was definitely no earlier than May, or if there was still a chance it might open before then?

I, too, was strongly hoping for an opening in April, as I will be there at that time (and my next visit might be a few years away). May opening would be a bummer, I was really looking forward to the show. I don't know where the information of the article came from, but at least it says "around" May 2016, so technically that could still cover an April opening. A tiny hope I guess, but I take any straw I can get.

Bartattack

ooooooh... I will be there from 1 till 20 th of May... So I hope I'll at least get one chance at seeing it... unless they decide to open it the last day of spring.

Biff215

This has been under construction for some time and doesn't look anywhere near complete. I have no insider information, but I wouldn't plan on an opening before May. There's just so much that needs to happen with a brand new show that includes live performers.

If they are in any rush at all, and it doesn't appear so, I would guess they'd like to have it open for next summer. Just my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom