New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

brb1006

Just had a message from a work colleague. Normal, average tourist / Orlando fan:

"Saw it last night. Pretty uneventful. Boats were slow and boring, seen water jets before, couldn't really hear the music lyrics.
15 minutes of not a lot after an hours wait.

Won't be rushing back.

Automated boats?? All they did was drive in and go in a slow circle. Might as well be anchored off in the middle!"

"Waste of effort in my opinion.
And as for the pathetic flame effects......resembled a cigarette lighter flame "
This is making me sad after reading the amount of hype the show was before it's opening. Didn't help with the amount of delays.

Cmdr_Crimson

And why would that be? Hopefully, the show isn't taken down for refurb. I have a breakfast ADR at Tusker House for a VIP ticket that week.

On the Disneyparks Blog live stream of Fantasmic that their next live stream is for August 22nd for RoL...So it is still being shown...

CaptainAmerica

Just had a message from a work colleague. Normal, average tourist / Orlando fan:

"Saw it last night. Pretty uneventful. Boats were slow and boring, seen water jets before, couldn't really hear the music lyrics.

Won't be rushing back.

Automated boats?? All they did was drive in and go in a slow circle. Might as well be anchored off in the middle!"

And as for the pathetic flame effects......resembled a cigarette lighter flame "
That was kind of my impression after seeing it for the first time last week, hate to say it. I liked the way they created depth and dimension with the water effects as opposed to the typical 2D screens from older shows, but the whole thing was very disjointed. I didn't see any kind of narrative and I wasn't sure which part of the show I was supposed to be focusing on at any given time. I also vehemently disagree with those who have praised the music. I thought the music was the absolute worst part of the show. They went way over the top with the cheesy "all creatures are one" thing. Animal Kingdom usually handles its conservation message in a mature and inspiring way, from Kilimanjaro Safaris to Flights of Wonder to Rafiki's Planet Watch. The Rivers of Light soundtrack felt like a parody song written by an anti-environmentalist to make fun of tree huggers.

FullSailDan

That was kind of my impression after seeing it for the first time last week, hate to say it. I liked the way they created depth and dimension with the water effects as opposed to the typical 2D screens from older shows, but the whole thing was very disjointed. I didn't see any kind of narrative and I wasn't sure which part of the show I was supposed to be focusing on at any given time. I also vehemently disagree with those who have praised the music. I thought the music was the absolute worst part of the show. They went way over the top with the cheesy "all creatures are one" thing. Animal Kingdom usually handles its conservation message in a mature and inspiring way, from Kilimanjaro Safaris to Flights of Wonder to Rafiki's Planet Watch. The Rivers of Light soundtrack felt like a parody song written by an anti-environmentalist to make fun of tree huggers.

I'll agree the music isn't the shows bright spot. I've also noticed a considerable decline in the shows quality since we saw it opening night. (Projections not in focus, water screen isnt completely done, etc) We were wowed by the visual depth of the projections, particularly when they projected on the mist horizontally and had the smaller projections from the boats in front. There was real potential for this show, the technology was almost there. I think with all the issues, they basically just said "run it" and forgot to go back for edits.

Tom Morrow

Disagree, I love the soundtrack. "Parade of the Animal Spirits" and "Dance of the Lotus", IMO, are great and hold up against Illuminations: RoE. "We Are One" doesn't seem any more cliche' than "We Go On."

I've seen it three times, and while I don't love it as a whole, I appreciate that it is unique and different from other nighttime shows. If you focus on the lighting aspect of the show, it is quite beautiful at times. I believe that is supposed to be your takeway from the show, not what the floats physically do. Hence, Rivers of Light

jwieber

I'll agree the music isn't the shows bright spot. I've also noticed a considerable decline in the shows quality since we saw it opening night. (Projections not in focus, water screen isnt completely done, etc) We were wowed by the visual depth of the projections, particularly when they projected on the mist horizontally and had the smaller projections from the boats in front. There was real potential for this show, the technology was almost there. I think with all the issues, they basically just said "run it" and forgot to go back for edits.
We went this past summer and have to say it was a BIG miss for Disney. The technology, the seating, the boats and sets were all top notch items. But put together, it just didn't convey a Disney experience. The music has no emotional connection and there isn't a note or melody that you leave with in your head. There is so much IP in the Disney vault that could be used and none of it was. And the over wrought message was just too abstract and yet preachy. A hard task to do, but they did it. Hope they really work on this as there is too much to just let it not be better. But we will not plan on this show again until or unless they make some changes.

Nmoody1

Won't be rushing back.

I'd agree with that! It really is almost impossible to think this show came from a creative company!

Tom Morrow

We went this past summer and have to say it was a BIG miss for Disney. The technology, the seating, the boats and sets were all top notch items. But put together, it just didn't convey a Disney experience. The music has no emotional connection and there isn't a note or melody that you leave with in your head. There is so much IP in the Disney vault that could be used and none of it was. And the over wrought message was just too abstract and yet preachy. A hard task to do, but they did it. Hope they really work on this as there is too much to just let it not be better. But we will not plan on this show again until or unless they make some changes.

You could make these statements about Reflections of Earth as well. For example, the music - RoE doesn't have any recurring melody throughout the show either, as opposed to say, Wishes or Fantasmic, but you've seen RoeE many times and are familiar with the score now, so you probably like it. RoE is also abstract and preachy

I wish the soundtrack was on YouTube (it is, but Disney blocked it on copywright grounds) so everyone could listen to it while not watching a show and looking for reasons to dislike it.

You're complaining about the lack of IP, forgetting that many of the best WDW experiences over the years were not IP-based, at a time when they are using IP more than they ever have?? If they had used IP it would make this exactly like the MK and Studios projection shows, "only this one is about the animal movies."

freediverdude

They had to have a show they could run at night and not disturb the animals with loud firework bangs or super loud sounds. Also the boats do a lot more than spray water, as well as being synchronized with each other. It's actually a pretty technically challenging show, it's just not obvious that it is to a lot of people. Plus you know how it is, lots of people don't really pay attention, are distracted by kids and phones and stuff, and don't realize what they are seeing, they just see "oh it was some water jet things".

UpDog71

You could make these statements about Reflections of Earth as well. For example, the music - RoE doesn't have any recurring melody throughout the show either, as opposed to say, Wishes or Fantasmic, but you've seen RoeE many times and are familiar with the score now, so you probably like it. RoE is also abstract and preachy

I wish the soundtrack was on YouTube (it is, but Disney blocked it on copywright grounds) so everyone could listen to it while not watching a show and looking for reasons to dislike it.

You're complaining about the lack of IP, forgetting that many of the best WDW experiences over the years were not IP-based, at a time when they are using IP more than they ever have?? If they had used IP it would make this exactly like the MK and Studios projection shows, "only this one is about the animal movies."

Vimeo: "Blog Mickey" has a great multi-angle recording of the show. Very professional high quality.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

No worries, guys... Soon enough we'll have 25 minute cartoon-on-water show and guest satisfaction will sky-rocket
I would prefer to see the current show re-worked a bit and enhanced, but sadly, you're right, they will probably go this route. After seeing Nemo and The Lion King in a theater, see them again projected onto water!
They had to have a show they could run at night and not disturb the animals with loud firework bangs or super loud sounds. Also the boats do a lot more than spray water, as well as being synchronized with each other. It's actually a pretty technically challenging show, it's just not obvious that it is to a lot of people. Plus you know how it is, lots of people don't really pay attention, are distracted by kids and phones and stuff, and don't realize what they are seeing, they just see "oh it was some water jet things".
Yep. There's quite a lot going on if you really look for it, it's definitely technically challenging.

BEARSHOUSE4

I was not able to secure a ROL dining package for this Monday 8/21. We do have ADR for tusker house. Disney could not convert this to a dining pkg for me. Any suggestions? Worried I won't be able to secure seating in the show. It's our only DAK day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom