New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Biff215

While I haven't seen RoL in person yet, it seems that it falls into a similar situation as other nighttime spectaculars. Everyone has their favorites that they compare everything else to. Many love IllumiNations but there are certainly those who don't, and it's no different with Fantasmic, Wishes, or the others.

If RoL has it's obvious flaws, hopefully Disney sees it too and is willing to address them. AK desperately needs this show to keep guests in the park at night, and Pandora will need the help with capacity.

Kman101

24-he bug he shared with me. Magical.

I'll try it again in December hopefully without nausea. Pandora will be our nighttime focus for now.

FWIW, we thought the nighttime safari and Awakenings were great.

I was getting over bronchitis and a sinus infection last time I was there and so exhausted on my last day at hot hot hot and crowded AK so I want to do ROL again and I didn't even stay for the awakenings I was just spent and couldn't wait to get away from the crowds and four hours of sleep the night before didn't help ... lol but I digress .... I'll be there again the 16th-19th for my Pandora preview on the 18th.

I timed the Safari as the sun was setting which was beautiful but just as the truck pulled back in they switched to nighttime but I figured I'd save it for another time.

rushtest4echo

Sorry for the thread derail, but:

Sunrise Safaris > Sunset Safaris > Daytime Safaris > Night Safaris in my opinion. I'd give the normal day safari an A or A- depending on several factors, the night safari is closer to a B+ or B, but Sunset/Sunrise Safaris are usually an A+ for me. It's definitely worth seeing them all eventually, but if you have to pick one, Sunset is the best choice unless you can manage a Sunrise one.

7AM Safaris are awesome when you can catch the tail end of sunrise, but those are extremely rare and I don't think they've happened for the better part of a decade now. The Animals are insanely active early morning. I'm glad those will be possible again in the coming months for hotel guests at least. Sadly I think most people will (rightfully) be over in Pandora instead which is a shame. I know they'll be beating the crowds but really- Sunrise Safaris are incredible.

Last edited:

TTA94

The soundtrack is wonderful. I frequently listen to both versions. [/B]But given it's a new build there is no reason why show quality should be inherently limited to a hit or miss depending on conditions. It had to be designed to be the best from the start. There was certainly enough time to ensure it works every time. Given the amount of varying accounts here and elsewhere it's not hitting the mark that it and the park deserve.

I'll be seeing it myself (for real this time) later this year with someone from these boards. I'm very much looking forward to it and comparing our opinions.

There are two versions out there? Are you talking about the one that was released outside the US and the current version?

180º

The original and the current.
Would you call this version the original or the current? Neither?

IMG_9916.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There were many elements of RoL I would grade at only a C or B, but, they do come together well for an overall B+, IMO. Saw it 3 times and will go again and again.

The best part? Seated. And not having to wrangle a viewing space amongst a crowd that can't decide to sit or stand.

InsideDisney

I believe it was the final show version before the last minute cuts were made.
I believe these last minute cuts where a good thing to do, Who would watch a 30 minute show that only has 4 fountains? A 15 minute show, Yes. 30 Minutes, No. Besides rivers of lights as of right now is a nice relaxing show and well fits AK.

Kman101

I listen to the soundtrack, still, quite often. The "leaked" one I was able to download. The music overall is really good.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does anyone know where it is possible to get both versions from?
The original was briefly available as a digital download and I'm sure is somewhere on the web (though I don't know specifically where)

The current show version I don't believe is "out". Yet.

djlaosc

The original was briefly available as a digital download and I'm sure is somewhere on the web (though I don't know specifically where)

The current show version I don't believe is "out". Yet.

That's what I was thinking - if anyone knows where to get the original version from, would you be able to share it with those of us who don't have it yet?

Looking forward to purchasing the current version once it is released - does anyone have a potential release date for the new CD yet? (I would guess the closest that most of us would be able to get at the moment is listening on YouTube), but it would be nice to have the original version as well (however little the difference between them is...)

FigmentJedi

I believe these last minute cuts where a good thing to do, Who would watch a 30 minute show that only has 4 fountains? A 15 minute show, Yes. 30 Minutes, No. Besides rivers of lights as of right now is a nice relaxing show and well fits AK.
Original cut was only 18 minutes, much of which were tied to an on-land processional of the Shaman/Apprentice teams to their boats for the opening and the arrival of the animal floats being longer.

I imagine the latter cuts were mostly the result of the loss of the mini-lanterns. All that extra flashing color would have made the animals floating across the water feel more dynamic.

Kman101

So, serious question, what could be done to make the show more "wow" to some? To appeal to those who aren't as impressed. I admit the show could use some work, it shouldn't need it but it does. I really think it fits the park great, I'd hate to see IPs inserted just to appeal to one demographic (though it would depend how it's done, I'm not completely against it but I think it's a last resort), but apart from that, what, honestly, could they do to improve it? (And besides better water screens, that's kind of a given, I'm not asking about the tech aspect but the show aspect of it all). We aren't getting fireworks and to me that's what some want when they say it's not impressive or not "wow" enough. But I know some just aren't going to like it.

FigmentJedi

So, serious question, what could be done to make the show more "wow" to some? To appeal to those who aren't as impressed. I admit the show could use some work, it shouldn't need it but it does. I really think it fits the park great, I'd hate to see IPs inserted just to appeal to one demographic (though it would depend how it's done, I'm not completely against it but I think it's a last resort), but apart from that, what, honestly, could they do to improve it? (And besides better water screens, that's kind of a given, I'm not asking about the tech aspect but the show aspect of it all). We aren't getting fireworks and to me that's what some want when they say it's not impressive or not "wow" enough. But I know some just aren't going to like it.
Getting the mini-lanterns to work with the system without frying it would help. I also think that making the Shamans pure pantomime wasn't the best choice and that instead of the single narrator, have them set the stage and occasionally narrate things could make things read better, much like what Tapestry of Nations did.
Finally, the Tower doesn't have as much of a wow factor as they thought it would. I'd say make it into a dragon (so the park's logo is finally complete) and beef up the constellation stuff in the ending with additional mythological references. Like have the horse turn into Pegasus, bears gain those long tails, put Scorpio there, the full Chinese Zodiac club, the dragon tower would represent Draco and the assorted constellations of dragons in Asian astrology and all these constellation beasts would be animated, not just the ones floating on lotuses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom