New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

WDWtraveler

Rivers of Light photo update as of Saturday, Jan 10.

IMG_4431.JPG

A large barge has re-appeared in the lake with more steel pilings.

IMG_4430.JPG

dstrawn9889

Rivers of Light photo update as of Saturday, Jan 10.

View attachment 79089

A large barge has re-appeared in the lake with more steel pilings.

View attachment 79090
looks like they are sheet-piling the entirety of the shoreline, probably because of all the motion added during construction is eroding the banks... maybe also for the show itself( the effects are energetic enough to make the shore erode)...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
are they building a theatre in the water? look at those metal pillars!

I could say yes, or I could say no...but then there would likely be follow up questions and someone would eventually figure out that I had no idea in the first place... :)

But that is a great question. They do look like pylons for the water.

Those are what are called sheet pilings. They are used to either temporarily or permanently hold back earth and/or water. They get driven into the ground and BAM!, instant dam or retaining wall.

At this point it is impossible to tell if they will be there permanently to make a solid land mass in the center of the lake or if they are just there to allow dry access to the bottom of the lake for construction.

If they cap the wall with concrete it will be safe to assume that they are there for good.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This....a bagillion percent.

Virtually every project done by Disney or anyone else starts out much grander then the finished project. In the days of ignorance we enjoyed what was made, now we lament what could have been.

Or curse TDO for cutting the budget TOO far, SSE - no descent where it USED to have one. It's how the term 'defurbishment' has gained currency, Now when something is 'refurbished' we hold our breath to see whether the refurbishment maintained or increased the quality of the original, In the old days that was a given, Now not so much.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Any chance that 'thing' out in the middle of the lagoon is a dock, like IllumiNations has for the Earth Barge and Inferno Barge?
Hard to tell, but I doubt is as you really do not need to use sheet pilings for just a dock. For just a dock you could get away with just install regular friction piles without having to hold back the water.

Sage of Time

Hard to tell, but I doubt is as you really do not need to use sheet pilings for just a dock. For just a dock you could get away with just install regular friction piles without having to hold back the water.
Hmmm. Maybe a 'stage' of sorts for the performers, then? Who knows... Wish Disney would release more info on Rivers of Light.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom