New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

FerretAfros

I still think that if they are going to the trouble/expense to build permanent seating, that it would be sad to only use it for a night show (which I'm guessing will typically only run 1 time a day, maybe 2 times during busy days of the year). Why not use that seating also for a day time show on the water (I'm thinking something like a water borne parade of barges)? Even if it is a lower scale than Rivers of Light, it would provide for a bigger entertainment option during the day that would encourage people to spend full days at the park and make up for the loss of MJJ parade.

(FWIW, I think it's stupid that the Fantasmic! theater also sits vacate during daylight hours -- put in, say, a water stunt show during the day and actually use it.)
DCA has a daytime show with Goofy conducting the fountains, which also uses their WOC viewing area. It was originally developed because they had issues getting to WOC fountains to reliably raise and lower, so they had to permanently have them in the 'up' position. Doing a daytime show with some of them made it seem like they were up on purpose. Now that the show has been running for several years and they've gotten everything figured out, only the center portion of the fountains are in the up position during the day

They also did some tests with staging Disney Channel Rocks and some visiting concert bands in that area (it was designed with a stage that can raise out of the ground), but it seems like that never materialized into anything. Due to the layout it's a somewhat awkward setup, and that area can get very hot during the day with no shade (made worse by the real stone pavers used around the fountain, which retain heat more than concrete)
I wouldn't say it was ruined by execs, unless you consider its entire existence to be "ruining" it because the execs tried to force them to put a pyro show into a space that wasn't designed for a pyro show...
I would also argue that Iger's last-minute changes to World of Color weren't ideal. Although the show uses incredible technology and has a lot of big "wow" moments to it, the pacing, storyline, and flow are all terrible. It was widely reported that he saw a preview of the show a few months before it opened and asked for drastic changes. When comparing it to Steve Davison's original description, it's pretty easy to see which segments got added later, and nearly all of them are the weakest screen-heavy portions of the show

That's not to say that it's a terrible show, but it would greatly benefit from some thorough and thoughtful editing. I watched it again on Sunday, and couldn't help but see several places that needed to be tightened up (and of course, the Hellfire sequence needs to return). Since they've swapped several segments in for current promotions, I'm hopeful that they might reexamine the entire show at some point

GiveMeTheMusic

That's not to say that it's a terrible show, but it would greatly benefit from some thorough and thoughtful editing. I watched it again on Sunday, and couldn't help but see several places that needed to be tightened up (and of course, the Hellfire sequence needs to return). Since they've swapped several segments in for current promotions, I'm hopeful that they might reexamine the entire show at some point

Apparently the show is being redone from top to bottom for the 60th, and the new version will premiere in May.

Macca250

Been wondering about this for a while - any ideas how many seats in total will be constructed for the show? I'm just curious as to what extent this new seating will be covering the prospective viewing areas. I've been envisaging that there would be plenty of space for guests to stand and watch (like WS for Illuminations) and then there would be the addition of said seating areas (perhaps only for FP+, dining packages and the people who'll rush and get their spot 4 hours before showtime?) OR have I got the totally wrong impression and there will be enough capacity for thousands of guests to take a seat?

twebber55

Been wondering about this for a while - any ideas how many seats in total will be constructed for the show? I'm just curious as to what extent this new seating will be covering the prospective viewing areas. I've been envisaging that there would be plenty of space for guests to stand and watch (like WS for Illuminations) and then there would be the addition of said seating areas (perhaps only for FP+, dining packages and the people who'll rush and get their spot 4 hours before showtime?) OR have I got the totally wrong impression and there will be enough capacity for thousands of guests to take a seat?
good question...will this seating be half of fantasmic seating...doesnt seem like it

ToTBellHop

good question...will this seating be half of fantasmic seating...doesnt seem like it
The concept art suggests extensive seating. I think that has to be the case since the amount of space with a clear view of the show area is actually quite limited and they seem to be attempting to avoid removal of too many trees, so I expect this will largely function like Fantasmic.

JEANYLASER

'm sure there is concept art (and a model) somewhere. Surely one day they will release it, but they'll probably sit on it until this gets closer to opening too.!:cool:

minsmk

Well, I found a picture of Discovery River online and I figured out how clunky the seating areas could look. Hopefully they are over the water or it will look like this (I think it should have been standing room like DL's fantasmic but whatevs.)

ezimba18540643204900.jpg

(I found this photo online so credit to whoever circled things.)

Idk I just think that if the seating isn't over the water it will look clunky and be hard to walk around. Also if there is pyro then will you even be able to do anything in the asia/dl/di at night? (I love riding EE at night so will I have only until 6 pm to get my rides in?)

I love the idea of this show but it could be really clunky and annoying once the seating comes around.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, I found a picture of Discovery River online and I figured out how clunky the seating areas could look. Hopefully they are over the water or it will look like this (I think it should have been standing room like DL's fantasmic but whatevs.)

ezimba18540643204900.jpg

(I found this photo online so credit to whoever circled things.)

Idk I just think that if the seating isn't over the water it will look clunky and be hard to walk around. Also if there is pyro then will you even be able to do anything in the asia/dl/di at night? (I love riding EE at night so will I have only until 6 pm to get my rides in?)

I love the idea of this show but it could be really clunky and annoying once the seating comes around.

The Asia and Dino locations make sense, but since it appears from the concept art that the TOL is going to be a big part of the show I doubt they will put seating on Discovery Island.

flyerjab

What I have been wondering is if along with the added seating areas, could they add additional walkways down near and along the portions of the river that aren't targeted for seating?

Unplugged

What I have been wondering is if along with the added seating areas, could they add additional walkways down near and along the portions of the river that aren't targeted for seating?

Could they? Sure. They built the entire park, what is it, 14 feet above the actual ground level and integrated all the water and plants. They can certainly do it, and I agree with you that it could look fabulous if done right. The question is would they do so and would they include beautiful vistas as they have with some spots of WS. It's all a wait'n'see game for us!

FerretAfros

I would assume that any new walkways in that area will be used as part of the viewing area during the show. However, similar to Fantasmic! at DL and World of Color at DCA where the viewing areas aren't in an isolated part of the park, I would expect that those areas will be open to guest traffic during the daytime hours, and only have controlled access around showtime. They could easily add some low-level statues and landscaping to make it attractive, while maintaining sightlines

I don't think that anything has been said either way, but I would expect that the viewing area will be standing-room-only, similar to WOC. They have limited space available, and you can fit way more people standing up than sitting down without feeling crowded. The additional height from the main walkway would also allow them to do some fairly substantial terracing, so guests can see over each other more easily. I would be shocked if they did bench seating like WDW's F!, but I suppose folks could sit on the ground if needed

Unplugged

I would be shocked if they did bench seating like WDW's F!, but I suppose folks could sit on the ground if needed
Agreed. I think doing some nice terracing with some areas benches made from stone (concrete) or brick could tie in well, look attractive, provide some much needed seating space, but also blend seamlessly to standing room walkways. I think such a layout with the larger existing trees left in place behind the new additions would creat some wonderful shade opportunities to walk near the water and view statues and other things you suggested.

JEANYLASER

greed. I think doing some nice terracing with some areas benches made from stone (concrete) or brick could tie in well, look attractive, provide some much needed seating space, but also blend seamlessly to standing room walkways. I think such a layout with the larger existing trees left in place behind the new additions would created some wonderful shade opportunities to walk near the water and view statues and other things you suggested. like handicapped seating for wheel chairs?

Rob562

I posted somewhere else on this forum (perhaps even this thread) my vision of viewing areas for the show, but I suppose I could repeat it... Terraced viewing areas similar to WoC, meant to look like tea-growing paddies/gardens like they have by the bridge at EE, but covered in artificial turf similar to what appears will be going into the new FP+ viewing area "parks" in the MK. Nice and green during the day, but functional as viewing areas at night.

-Rob

FerretAfros

Wow, that sure is a lot of area that's been blocked off! I would assume some of it is covered to maintain sightlines, while some of it is the actual work area

It's also interesting that they're using printed screens for a lot of it, rather than the 'regular' construction walls. They're prettier than the plain walls, but they also draw a lot of attention to themselves, rather than blending in, so I'm not sure if it's a good thing. Heck, even the walls have tons of graphics all over them, drawing attention to the small signs and text. I guess when it's a project this big, it can't simply be ignored, but I would have preferred something a little more plain that works on a large scale (like the generic trees in Dinoland)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom