New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

YodaMan

Sorry if this is not the best thread to mention this, but if anyone has ridden the Safaris in the past few days it's clear that a lot of new construction is going on. I assume this is the start of the work for the Nighttime Safaris but I could be totally mistaken.

Bolt

While I can personally like the idea of the DCA system moving into DAK, I just can't help but not like this idea of a night-time show at all.

I helped open the Bone Yard at DAK, and the one thing I always liked was the fact it closed earlier than the rest of the parks. Giving the animals a nice break and time to be what they are, animals. With all the events keeping it open later and now a night time spec in order, I can't stand seeing it happen.

But, if we have to do it, the DCA system for WoC is perfect. It's not that intrusive to the animals (as fireworks would be just too much, in my opinion) and having seen WoC several times now, it's a great show. Almost better than my favourite, ROE. But, anything I see them doing, it'll be a permanent static install. It's too hard to move things in and out and I don't see them putting in the effort to revamp all the boat network that use to be there (still kinda is). Unlike EPCOT, the boats don't actively run anymore so puting something permanent in won't effect the guest experience.

But, this is again, just my opinion.
WDW is recognized as one of that top animal facilities. You can only assume they consulted Animal Programs so they get a 'proper rest'.

twebber55

Sorry if this is not the best thread to mention this, but if anyone has ridden the Safaris in the past few days it's clear that a lot of new construction is going on. I assume this is the start of the work for the Nighttime Safaris but I could be totally mistaken.
yes Orlando park News mentioned yesterday that work has begun

Unplugged

A lot of folks brought up the issue that to build a permanent show in the water, it'd all have to be drained to build a structure. For some reason, as I was reading through this thread it dawned on me that they don't. Taking a lesson from the bridge builders who create large caissons, Disney could use a barge to drive steel in a large pattern in the middle of the lake. Once complete, they can drain the center of the pattern and mold & pour concrete around the edges, then a floor for the center after running the conduit/plumbing from it to the control & utility space. The concrete shape above the water wouldn't have to be very high above the water (1 foot wouldn't be very obtrusive and could in theory be painted deep blue). Inside the shape would be the controlled/filtered water hiding the show system.

Of course, after spending many years in engineering, the simplicity of this solution made me also realize that it's too cost effective an approach, makes too much sense, and would be far too quick for them to actually do. Back to my Imagineering Armchair. <Forceful wave of hand> This is not the solution your looking for. Move along. Move along.

DisneyGentleman

A lot of folks brought up the issue that to build a permanent show in the water, it'd all have to be drained to build a structure. For some reason, as I was reading through this thread it dawned on me that they don't. Taking a lesson from the bridge builders who create large caissons, Disney could use a barge to drive steel in a large pattern in the middle of the lake. Once complete, they can drain the center of the pattern and mold & pour concrete around the edges, then a floor for the center after running the conduit/plumbing from it to the control & utility space. The concrete shape above the water wouldn't have to be very high above the water (1 foot wouldn't be very obtrusive and could in theory be painted deep blue). Inside the shape would be the controlled/filtered water hiding the show system.

Of course, after spending many years in engineering, the simplicity of this solution made me also realize that it's too cost effective an approach, makes too much sense, and would be far too quick for them to actually do. Back to my Imagineering Armchair. <Forceful wave of hand> This is not the solution your looking for. Move along. Move along.
Except in CA they used floating platforms. Somewhat simpler.

DisneyGentleman

But they are tethered to the bottom of the lagoon, no? My impression is that ROL will simply have barges that move into and out of place each evening.
For ROE, the barges contain pyro and are moved in and out to replenish every day.

For WOC, the platforms contain fountains and such and are raised and sunk vertically on pontoons.
WoC1-052810-AVP.jpg

lazyboy97o

For ROE, the barges contain pyro and are moved in and out to replenish every day.

For WOC, the platforms contain fountains and such and are raised and sunk vertically on pontoons.
WoC1-052810-AVP.jpg
Those platform structures are attached to the bottom of Paradise Bay. That is part of why that system needs a completely artificial body of water.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I think the idea that the lake would have to be drained came from the idea that a show exactly like World of Color from DCA might be used. That show used extensive underwater ins

WoC1-052810-AVP.jpg

The pontoons help to raise and lower the platform, but there are also some pretty large scissor jacks under each section attached to the bottom of the lagoon to help raise lower and keep the platforms in position.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom