New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

TTA94

Should RoL get pushed off till the fall I can't help but wonder if they really need all that time to fix the issues or if it's more a marketing thing so they can have something to promote after summer.

Sped2424

Saw all the entertainment tonight and I have a few reviews/musings about AK's nighttime life.

1. The jungle book show is sadly a mess and by no means a crowd pleaser. During my performance alone I heard 3 "We waited an hour here for this?" and a few "Well that was bad." and that was just the people within an earshot of me. To sum up my feelings I see it for what it is a desperate attempt at pleasing crowds for AK nightlife until ROL is ready but man is the show strange. Took me till the finale to make out that there were 3 performers singing live in a float in the middle had my friend not pointed them out I would have never even known they were there beyond their voices. To sum it up ROL is needed and quick because many people seem disenchanted with the idea of staying at AK after that show.

2. The tree of life awakenings are really cool and nice, but the execution is already causing confusion. Guests are lining up and down the entire entryway expecting a Celebrate the Magic/nighttime finale. Now there is no time schedule for the Awakenings they just happen on and off every now and again. But people don't know this so they are camping out between every show not knowing what to expect so in between shows (Time period seems random) bits and pieces of the tree move now and again and sometimes it only happens once or twice before the next show starts. But golly do guests go "OHHH" thinking the show is about to begin whenever an antelope moves it's ears a little only to be followed by sounds of universal disappointment after the tree goes back to being still. So after the 4 minute clip show a lot of guests stayed still expecting more only to realize that was it. I think the awakenings are just fine but there needs to be communication on Disney's part informing most guests what kind of experience this is. As many of them stand around asking other guests about the show wandering what it is and why there are no times etc etc (I got asked this twice). Not only that but they should also dim/turn off the lights once the 4 minute clips start as many a lamp post in the area directly in front of the tree were on full blast!

3. Lighting packages around the park are still super scarce leaving much of the lands without personality or life which is a shame given how great these area's are during the day.

4. I know Animal is a little short on attractions but man is it noticeable after 8. They shut down the trails which is understandable but they also shut the lion king show for some reason same with nemo leaving the other attractions a tad overworked with most wait times averaging very high. AK needs more than just Avatar if it's going to survive past 8 oclock in the future.

Last bit is the good news and that is all of the new streetmosphere stuff is top notch quality that is indicative of the dedication to theming found here at AK. My personal favorite was the trio group of women found in harambe who not only sound great but managed to bring guests into their troupe and feel the "harambee spirit" as they called it. Real home run with that 10000 percent.

brb1006

Saw all the entertainment tonight and I have a few reviews/musings about AK's nighttime life.

1. The jungle book show is sadly a mess and by no means a crowd pleaser. During my performance alone I heard 3 "We waited an hour here for this?" and a few "Well that was bad." and that was just the people within an earshot of me. To sum up my feelings I see it for what it is a desperate attempt at pleasing crowds for AK nightlife until ROL is ready but man is the show strange. Took me till the finale to make out that there were 3 performers singing live in a float in the middle had my friend not pointed them out I would have never even known they were there beyond their voices. To sum it up ROL is needed and quick because many people seem disenchanted with the idea of staying at AK after that show.

2. The tree of life awakenings are really cool and nice, but the execution is already causing confusion. Guests are lining up and down the entire entryway expecting a Celebrate the Magic/nighttime finale. Now there is no time schedule for the Awakenings they just happen on and off every now and again. But people don't know this so they are camping out between every show not knowing what to expect so in between shows (Time period seems random) bits and pieces of the tree move now and again and sometimes it only happens once or twice before the next show starts. But golly do guests go "OHHH" thinking the show is about to begin whenever an antelope moves it's ears a little only to be followed by sounds of universal disappointment after the tree goes back to being still. So after the 4 minute clip show a lot of guests stayed still expecting more only to realize that was it. I think the awakenings are just fine but there needs to be communication on Disney's part informing most guests what kind of experience this is. As many of them stand around asking other guests about the show wandering what it is and why there are no times etc etc (I got asked this twice). Not only that but they should also dim/turn off the lights once the 4 minute clips start as many a lamp post in the area directly in front of the tree were on full blast!

3. Lighting packages around the park are still super scarce leaving much of the lands without personality or life which is a shame given how great these area's are during the day.

4. I know Animal is a little short on attractions but man is it noticeable after 8. They shut down the trails which is understandable but they also shut the lion king show for some reason same with nemo leaving the other attractions a tad overworked with most wait times averaging very high. AK needs more than just Avatar if it's going to survive past 8 oclock in the future.

Last bit is the good news and that is all of the new streetmosphere stuff is top notch quality that is indicative of the dedication to theming found here at AK. My personal favorite was the trio group of women found in harambe who not only sound great but managed to bring guests into their troupe and feel the "harambee spirit" as they called it. Real home run with that 10000 percent.
When River Of Light finally debuts I'm sure the guests will be pleased.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

DJ Raj over in the indian subcontinent is also pretty good about getting people to dance bhagra style, I have a LOT of indian friends and its fun but for the uninitiated its a bit like screwing in a bulb while petting a dog

Sped2424

DJ Raj over in the indian subcontinent is also pretty good about getting people to dance bhagra style, I have a LOT of indian friends and its fun but for the uninitiated its a bit like screwing in a bulb while petting a dog

Here is a video of the girls in harambe. They have props and everything to look like market place sellers taking a fun break! Honestly it was my favorite thing tonight besides the Tree of life awakenings.

rioriz

anyone notice the lotus flower swirling water is used in voyage to crystal grotto?

Maybe more Shanghai tech is being used in DL and WDW Atrractions to come?!?!?

doctornick

Off the cuff thought: maybe they could intentionally and overtly dim the lights, say, 1 minute before the main clips as a subtle indication that a show is imminent. That would help with both the view (by being darker) and preparing folks. They could leave the lights on for the small little vignettes so there's a visual differentiation before they start as to what to expect.

Also, it seems to me that the larger shows might benefit from having a listed set time (or at least a fixed interval of maybe every 15 or 20 minutes) since apparently they are random in when they occur which is confusing.

Yeah. It's going to be terrible when Dinosaur goes down for rehab in August. I think running FOTLK would make sense given it's location (Nemo could potentialy have trouble with the crowds going to JB or RoL (when it opens)).

Pandora is obviously going to help with the capacity at night, but the park still needs a few full time attractions (esp rides) beyond that. As many have said, a Jungle Book ride in Asia would make a lot of sense. Doing something with Zootopia or some other sort of cartoon animal land would work. Heck, even adding some more flat rides to Dinorama would be a benefit. But they need to something beyond the current plans.

Next Big Thing

Off the cuff thought: maybe they could intentionally and overtly dim the lights, say, 1 minute before the main clips as a subtle indication that a show is imminent. That would help with both the view (by being darker) and preparing folks. They could leave the lights on for the small little vignettes so there's a visual differentiation before they start as to what to expect.

Also, it seems to me that the larger shows might benefit from having a listed set time (or at least a fixed interval of maybe every 15 or 20 minutes) since apparently they are random in when they occur which is confusing.

Yeah. It's going to be terrible when Dinosaur goes down for rehab in August. I think running FOTLK would make sense given it's location (Nemo could potentialy have trouble with the crowds going to JB or RoL (when it opens)).

Pandora is obviously going to help with the capacity at night, but the park still needs a few full time attractions (esp rides) beyond that. As many have said, a Jungle Book ride in Asia would make a lot of sense. Doing something with Zootopia or some other sort of cartoon animal land would work. Heck, even adding some more flat rides to Dinorama would be a benefit. But they need to something beyond the current plans.
Problem with running FotLK is much of the cast is in JB including the bass singer.

Sped2424

I am just so worried that Dinosaur and Dinorama are going to die in favor of Zootopia. I hope that isn't the case but at the same time it has me very nervous. But yeah having just FOTLK open past 8 would help tremendously with crowds. They need to start their next expansion at AK imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom