Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

HMF

I'm confused. Until the mid 90s it was Epcot Center. I think in 94 and 95 it was called Epcot 94 and Epcot 95. After that it has simply been called Epcot. (@marni1971 fact check me here.) Or am I confused at what you are trying to say?
when the Center designation was used EPCOT was capitalized. when it switched to Epcot 94' the pcot was lower-cased as for why I don't know.

Tony the Tigger

the problem I have with it is that I've been going to WDW parks et al since I was 6 years old in 1982. This show, in essence, hasn't changed enough to warrant my attention, or to keep me in the park only to have to wait for the monorail for an hour and a half to get back to my room. The vantage points to view the show are almost never satisfactory, you can barely see the 'stupid' ball animation, ever. Whilst some of the fireworks are impressive, they are by and large run of the mill stuff that you can see at the end of a main street parade. Am I a cynic? Probably. But I'm sure there are more of me out there that are in-line with my thinking. While I believe that 'new isn't always better', this show has no nostalgic aspect or aura to it, and doesn't have any last impression on me like other nighttime shows like Wishes once did.

Different people appreciate different things. I typically could care less about Wishes, and take the opportunity to go on rides with no lines. I've read posts here about it making people cry. (That said, I'm going to sit and watch it next week before it's gone.)

Illuminations has meaning to me and has choked me up several times.

Nobody is wrong. What resonates with one may not resonate with another.

montyz81

I cannot agree more. This show is a staple of our visit and for many of us the only night time show we actually attend. A great show with a great soundtrack and one that provokes lots of thought and emotion. While I love Disney characters, it's nice that this show does not focus on them. Hopefully it will stay that way.

New tech would be great to have! Drones would be a perfect fit
Leave the music alone :) It's a great composition just like the old Soarin was.
I'm with you here. It is so inspirational that it is the most common sound track played on iTunes for me. The entire show really moves me. I hope that ,in the words of Walt, they simply plus what's there already and not change it completely. If it becomes World of Color V2, Epcot might become a skip park for me. Part of Epcot's allure was its lack of in you face IPs. It has always been a great equalize for vacationers. That equalization is being eroded slowly but surely. An IP filled RoE will just seal the deal.

rle4lunch

Uh, there was no Reflections of Earth in the 80s, It was simply IllumiNations then. As for the premise The original IllumiNations was basically a clip show with fireworks and lasers and classical music showcasing the different nations of World Showcase. Reflections of Earth is a re-telling of the history of our planet told with explosives fireworks lasers and music.

nobody likes a smarta$$, lol. Illuminations, not RoE. Sooo sorry for using the wrong vernacular.

I know how they could get me to see it again. Incorporate sharks, or better yet dolphins with laZer beams attached to their heads jumping and spinning over the globe. Wherever the laser beams hit while their spinning a firework goes off.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
nobody likes a smarta$$, lol. Illuminations, not RoE. Sooo sorry for using the wrong vernacular.

I know how they could get me to see it again. Incorporate sharks, or better yet dolphins with laZer beams attached to their heads jumping and spinning over the globe. Wherever the laser beams hit while their spinning a firework goes off.
Sold .

CaptainAmerica

I'm confused. Until the mid 90s it was Epcot Center. I think in 94 and 95 it was called Epcot 94 and Epcot 95. After that it has simply been called Epcot. (@marni1971 fact check me here.) Or am I confused at what you are trying to say?
It was never EPCOT, all caps. It was EPCOT Center, then Epcot '94, then Epcot '95, then just Epcot. And really, the '94 and '95 designations were more marketing gimmicks than actual names.

ToTBellHop

That "someone" was Walter Elias Disney. Sorry if you were being sarcastic. If you weren't, go watch the last video Walt ever released to the public.
I know...

So who is the Oprah in the company? They've been handing out new nighttime shows like crazy lately.

Granted, it's a smart move. They are wildly popular, have enormous capacity, and relatively low upfront costs (relative to a ride). Daily operational costs remain relatively flat.

dennis-in-ct

It is not 30+ years old. The current show started in 1999. Also I strongly disagree with the argument that something must be replaced simply because it is old. I am not against upgrading technology to make it better but if the show is timeless like I believe ROE is, it should stay indefinitely

Please just create a BraviSEAmo show for EPCOT !

In terms of technology, the Tokyo resorts set a very good example. TokyoSea Fantasmic and the Tokyo Disney Resort's DREAMLIGHTS are amazing. For EPCOT, I would love to see the lagoon shows from TokyoDisney Sea.

The Tokyo Disney Resort, continually changes the shows and parades to give people a reason to come back. Yes, I understand those parks cater to the local crowds and the belief is they *need* to frequently change the offerings to keep the crowds coming back - at 70 bucks for a one day ticket by the way. This admission also includes the Halloween and Christmas events. Events that the Florida park charges extra.

That said - I would argue the yearly committed visits of the WDW's DVC crowd is enough to justify a frequent schedule of new offerings. I mean, the MK castle show seems like it is revised most often. I know WISHES has been around awhile but the insertion of seasonal flavors of the castle shows make it feel updated.

The last real exciting entertainment I experienced at EPCOT was the Tapestry Of Nations in 2000. What an emotional and touching parade. I loved how that night parade gave World Showcase such an intimate feeling. Nothing since has been achieved. Simply gorgeous.

brb1006

For my liking they can replace the fireworks (not Disney's finest), the lasers (weren't they more impressive way back when etc?) and the barge (one day - hopefully before it's gone - I'll remember to bring my binoculars. But they can't ever, ever touch the music. It has now become an essential element of my EPCOT.

Like the Baroque Hoedown for the MK.... :'(
The entire finale for Spectromagic for MK at night for me. It really fit the nighttime atmosphere for the park especially if it's your final night.

PiratesoftheHM

I know...

So who is the Oprah in the company? They've been handing out new nighttime shows like crazy lately.

Granted, it's a smart move. They are wildly popular, have enormous capacity, and relatively low upfront costs (relative to a ride). Daily operational costs remain relatively flat.

They make the parks seem refreshed even though nothing physical in the park is actually changing.

Ex: Seeing Once Upon a Time/Happily Ever After makes MK feel significantly updated for my next trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom