New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

lazyboy97o

I just had this idea doubt it will happen. If They were to coincide the opening of the movie and the theme park expansion.. There isn't a way where the premiere would be at AK? Right? I mean unless they wanted you to see the movie first on Pandora
With the plan to now do four films that may give them a chance.

Could they do the "lights" on the tree of life with projection mapping? Would the tree provide a solid enough canvas for this to work? It would be a lot cheaper than actually stringing lights in the tree.

MerlinTheGoat

Yeah, you'll be able to see the Yeti so much better then... :p
I was actually going to suggest something like that myself. Since your eyes won't need to be adjusting so quickly between light and dark, the yeti will be ever more clear during nighttime rides. You'll be able to see better in the dark caverns because your eyes are already fully adjusted to darkness. It will make the yeti much more visible. Though on the other side of things, there probably won't be as much light leaking through the mountain during the backwards helix, possibly hiding the visible steel internals so clearly visible by day. Though i'd still like to see that tunnel lined with some sparkling ice instead of exposed steel.

It makes me wish they'd fix it even more now that AK is going to be open later. With everything working and all the flaws ironed out, it could be a fantastic ride to go on at night.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I was actually going to suggest something like that myself. Since your eyes won't need to be adjusting so quickly between light and dark, the yeti will be ever more clear during nighttime rides. You'll be able to see better in the dark caverns because your eyes are already fully adjusted to darkness. It will make the yeti much more visible. Though on the other side of things, there probably won't be as much light leaking through the mountain during the backwards helix, possibly hiding the visible steel internals so clearly visible by day. Though i'd still like to see that tunnel lined with some sparkling ice instead of exposed steel.

It makes me wish they'd fix it even more now that AK is going to be open later. With everything working and all the flaws ironed out, it could be a fantastic ride to go on at night.

Maybe once Avatar is opened they can finally take Everest offline and fix the yeti.

doctornick

So, the real big question remains as to when this night time show and night safaris will start with the park staying open longer.

On one hand, these night based things could be added sooner than Pandora and could easily be opened by, say, 2015. That would give WDW something to hype for that year -- nothing else is on the horizon -- and potentially help with DAK's attendance.

On the flip side, just adding the night time stuff doesn't add a ton more to do at the park, not solving the "half day park" issue that some people have and would add a lot of the operational expenses. TDO might feel it makes more sense to open these night offerings together with Pandora since it will be more stuff in the park to warrant the longer hours and because this will also add at least another restaurant (and merch) to help with the later crowds and getting them to spend money.

I'm sure we'll learn sooner or later about more details.

MerlinTheGoat

Indeed. Especially when other places will have more at night to offer too.
Are they going to be doing lighting upgrades around the rest of the park as well (meaning not just Avatar, Tree of Life and the Safari)? As in the ENTIRE park is going to get a night lighting package?

And will any of the night enhancements happen before Avatar opens?

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
It would be so cool to ride EE at night, despite Avatarland, and the nighttime stuff being added. I wonder what time AK will close then? Nice to have another nighttime option.:D
EE at night is cool, but you can do that now. Just go in busy weeks in winter (say, between Xmas and New Year) and DAK is open for a couple hours after dark most nights. Not a lot is open, but Everest is.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Are they going to be doing lighting upgrades around the rest of the park as well (meaning not just Avatar, Tree of Life and the Safari)? As in the ENTIRE park is going to get a night lighting package?

And will any of the night enhancements happen before Avatar opens?
The park has had a night lighting package since day 1. Looks awesome after dark.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The park has had a night lighting package since day 1. Looks awesome after dark.
I guess he means improved lighting. We found a lot of the park rather dark (an observation not a criticism) during EMH. Imagine that with normal crowding levels. I just hope if anything is done they don't do a World Showcase and ruin the theming with parcans and floodlighting. Or case in point the exterior of The Seas.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I guess he means improved lighting. We found a lot of the park rather dark (an observation not a criticism) during EMH. Imagine that with normal crowding levels. I just hope if anything is done they don't do a World Showcase and ruin the theming with parcans and floodlighting. Or case in point the exterior of The Seas.
Yep no question the lighting is subtle. Hope it does not get changed. The park has operated many times after dark, so if it has ben deemed suitable then, I can't see why that cannot continue.

jmuboy

I actually have the "Making of Animal Kingdom" book they used to sell in the park and it clearly states in it that Killimanjaro Safari (and DAK) was always designed to be open at night just like the other parks. I remember it even said something like "Disney has made sure that the Safari will be entertaining guests even on the coldest winter nights".

The only downside to all this good news is that it probably means the end of the Whole current entry way and Discovery Village. It will probably be all bulldozed and changed to accommodate larger traffic flows and the nighttime entertainment and parade.

You are giving WDW too much credit here - they won't be spending that much money on this

matt9112

I actually have the "Making of Animal Kingdom" book they used to sell in the park and it clearly states in it that Killimanjaro Safari (and DAK) was always designed to be open at night just like the other parks. I remember it even said something like "Disney has made sure that the Safari will be entertaining guests even on the coldest winter nights".

The only downside to all this good news is that it probably means the end of the Whole current entry way and Discovery Village. It will probably be all bulldozed and changed to accommodate larger traffic flows and the nighttime entertainment and parade.

it could be modified and some things may be lost but alot of it could likely be kept in tact they could also just expand the current trail heads to funnel guests better.

drew81

They could go with a smaller ETC Source 4 and hide them easier. Who knows???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom