New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Another great benefit to having some nighttime hours at AK is that it should be much cooler. When I visit WDW it is usually around mid-May. It is so hot and humid in AK, (I think that's partly due to all the plants and trees, which are lovely to look at), but the humidity really gets to me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Tom Staggs said Disney will be "adding all-new entertainment experiences.... that will delight our guests and truly cap off their day at Disney’s Animal Kingdom"
For once could they drop the PR written drivel and be honest? Or does whoever wrote this (it wouldn't be Staggs) have a time machine to know that guests will indeed be delighted? The corporate machine really annoys me sometimes.

Zac Skellington

Please don't do a bastardized, Avatar version of the Tree of Life! Thankful for SOMETHING finally being done.
So, Disney. What do you have planned to make me want to visit over the next 4 years?

DLaP

That is awesome news! As mush as I like AK, I must say it is my least favorite park. I always combine it with visiting HS because their isn't enough entertainment and atractions at AK to make it a full day.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That piece of concept art where they all the guests are wearing weird glasses. I presume that is holo-vision from the year 2025 right?

Could just be funky art or it might hint at "glasses" being part of the show or maybe the American Association of the Blind complained that there were not enough "visually impaired" people in recent concept art released. One final possibility is the band was playing a cover of "I wear my sunglasses at night" and went with the glasses as a prop.

Matt_Black

Another great benefit to having some nighttime hours at AK is that it should be much cooler. When I visit WDW it is usually around mid-May. It is so hot and humid in AK, (I think that's partly due to all the plants and trees, which are lovely to look at), but the humidity really gets to me.

Actually, I've heard that they artificially pump up the heat in AK so that the animals would be more comfortable, what with their natural habitats being very hot and humid, even by Florida standards.

Anyway, while nighttime entertainment could be very interesting (and AK being open later would take some pressure of the other parks in PM hours, particularly MK and Epcot), I would hope that whatever they do doesn't cause undue stress to the animals, and I say this out of concern for both their welfare and that of the guests. (I know I can be cranky and irritable when something bright and/or noisy keeps me awake; I shudder to think what a lion, hippo or bull elephant might be like with the same irritability!)

NowInc

Avatarland I can understand taking until 2017 (lots of work blah blah...I can accept that..not happily tho)....but...4 years to make the safari night worthy and to add some entertainment? I HOPE they can at least get the nighttime additions done before avatar (2015ish) and then let avatar take until 2017..space it out..

AK is amazing at night..truly. I am happy that a lot more people will be able to experience it. Just wish it would happen sooner.

ryguy

I hope they plan on making the paths wider, because AK can be a bear when its crowded. I am also wondering about potential viewing areas for the nighttime show. Doesn't seem like a lot of open shoreline for viewing like EPCOT has. Any ideas?

Definitely need more info on the nighttime safari, just don't see how that works. Does anybody have more exact details? I barely can see most of the animals in the day time :)

Tim_4

But it won't be opening in Fiscal 2017, it'll be opening in Calender 2017...
For a lot of silly accounting reasons, they can play with the dates within a certain window. My wild guess is that we'll see soft openings, cast days, and AP/DVC previews early in calendar 17. I also haven't heard whether this will be a phased roll out.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom