1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

New nighttime entertainment confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by wdwmagic, Oct 12, 2013.

1. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

2. LucyK

LucyK Well-Known Member

Looking forward to all of this! AK will be an even better park and we might bump our days there to 3 instead of 2.
  3. MR FERRET

MR FERRET Well-Known Member

The nighttime KS could be interesting
  4. djkidkaz

djkidkaz Well-Known Member

I'm really curious how they will light up the safari properly and what animals they will be able to display.

Also curious about the nighttime show on discovery river. Almost sounds like a show that would travel down the river so you could see it from different areas of the park. Obviously they use to travel guests around the river so it does have the ability.
    Dwarful, George, MOXOMUMD and 5 others like this.
  5. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

They have previously operated a nighttime version of Kilimanjaro. It used lighting rigs on the trucks. It was actually a very neat experience, complete with an all new storyline and a guide along with the driver. I got to experience this in late 1999.
  6. NiarrNDisney

NiarrNDisney Well-Known Member

Finally two things (nighttime show and Discovery River being used again) that I have been hoping for DAK are now on the table for it's future!
  7. wdwmomof3

wdwmomof3 Well-Known Member

I'm excited about this. :D
  8. Captain Neo

Captain Neo Well-Known Member

I actually have the "Making of Animal Kingdom" book they used to sell in the park and it clearly states in it that Killimanjaro Safari (and DAK) was always designed to be open at night just like the other parks. I remember it even said something like "Disney has made sure that the Safari will be entertaining guests even on the coldest winter nights".

The only downside to all this good news is that it probably means the end of the Whole current entry way and Discovery Village. It will probably be all bulldozed and changed to accommodate larger traffic flows and the nighttime entertainment and parade.
  9. Seabasealpha1

Seabasealpha1 Active Member

So, is this night show based on the "Rivers of Light" thingy that was thrown around on forums like this a couple of years back? Sounds a lot like that idea got pulled out of the Imagineering fridge and warmed back up! Also, will the night show open before all of this Avatar stuff? Or is it like a package deal?

I guess it's all speculation still...

Not a bad idea at all though! We were there this last December pretty late and to be honest, by that point you run out of things to do and it's kinda chilly...so, off to the car we went...I welcome an opportunity to stick around!

Glad to see something FINALLY!
  10. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Did I miss it about the Safari being run again after dark under this proposal? I thought it was scrapped due to logistics and a lot of the savannah lighting (not the jeep lighting) was removed?

Any nighttime entertainment as I understand it will not involve any variables, much like jungle cruise it will all be controlled and predictable (in the nicest sense)
    George, MOXOMUMD, jt04 and 3 others like this.
  11. MerlinTheGoat

MerlinTheGoat Well-Known Member

You mean the NEW proposal announced today? If so, yeah you must have missed it, it was confirmed on the parks blog along with the AVATAR art that the safari would get a night version-

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ar-to-come-to-life-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/
    George and bethymouse like this.
  12. PhotoDave219

PhotoDave219 Well-Known Member

2017. Twenty freakin Seventeen. Take your time, whydontcha. Isnt the 7DMTC still "coming soon" after all these years?
  13. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Dwarful, George, MOXOMUMD and 11 others like this.
  14. MerlinTheGoat

MerlinTheGoat Well-Known Member

No problem, haha! At least the announcement wasn't made in the dead of night for you as it was for those of us in the US!

I'm glad to see they've decided to do the night safari despite the apparent issues they thought it would cause. It sounds like it could be seriously fun! And I hope they don't find it too expensive and troublesome after a short while of doing the night safaris and just cancel the whole thing shortly after. Honestly i'm a bit stoked about the AK reveals from today despite my still nagging reservations.

Some guy on Micechat claimed to know about the safari project. He may be full of crap or he may not be. But he claimed they were going to illuminate the safari with lighting to appear like natural moonlight and that they'd switch out the day animals with more nocturnal ones at night. Sounds like a reasonable estimate even if he doesn't know anything for sure. Though I would wonder whether this would necessitate the ride be shut for a short while each day to switch out the day and night animals...
    George and MinnieM123 like this.
  15. DicksonGR

DicksonGR Well-Known Member

I think this is a great announcement. Are we going to have to wait until the Avatar stuff opens before we get the nighttime safari and show I wonder?

Having not been too excited about this project, the new concept art does look good. Dare I say if only they could construct things at Universal speed I'd be a lot happier...
    George, MOXOMUMD, Beholder and 4 others like this.
  16. Wdwprince

Wdwprince Well-Known Member

Love love love this news! And as probably the only person on this forum who was and still is excited about Avatar,I'm thrilled with the concept art. Bring it on!
    Dwarful, disneyrcks, George and 12 others like this.
  17. rkelly42

rkelly42 Well-Known Member

This is fantastic, finally seems like they are going in right direction.
    MOXOMUMD, bethymouse and MinnieM123 like this.
  18. draybook

draybook Well-Known Member

I'm just excited about the park being open past dark again. The park takes on a whole new personality when the sun sets. Although I'm not an Avatar fan at all, this is good news. Although I am with @PhotoDave219.......2017? I guess they had to ask Universal if they were busy doing anything in the next 4 years so they wouldn't have to share the spotlight........:joyfull:
    Dwarful, MOXOMUMD, bethymouse and 8 others like this.
  19. patch553

patch553 Member

I am so excited about the night time show :Dand after dark ride on the safari ( love this ride anyway):happy:. I was not keen when they said they were building an avatar land but the art work and ideas look really good may have to change my mind. I have always loved ak and always thought of it as a all day park not a half day park maybe now others will agree and stay longer.............
    George, MOXOMUMD, bethymouse and 2 others like this.
  20. SirLink

SirLink Well-Known Member

That piece of concept art where they all the guests are wearing weird glasses. I presume that is holo-vision from the year 2025 right?
    George, bethymouse and lilclerk like this.