New Muppet Ride?

Magenta Panther

No we get it. You want less Muppets and more "Disney" characters. Ya know, the ones that Disney didn't create and acquired the rights to like Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Alice, Winnie the Pooh and dozens of others.

Well, if Disney had bought the rights to the Muppets, and then adapted them into a Disney version, and the results were as good as other Disney adaptations like Pinocchio and Snow White and Mary Poppins, then I'd say they truly belong in the Disney pantheon. But that's not the case here. Again, there's a difference between acquisition and artistry. Just because a Disney company CEO thought it was a great business move doesn't mean purchasing Marvel is the equal of a work like Fantasia.

Anyway, I've decided to let beaten horses lie and will now depart this thread. Cheers!

RSoxNo1

The opposition to characters generally involve a situation where the characters are put into an existing attraction (or replace a non character based attraction) and the new attraction is deemed inferior or a lateral change.

To me, character infusion isn't a problem the problem is what leads to this. I think in many cases the character infusion is forced from above and not by the people that were hired for their creative solutions. The Imagineers are often tasked with coming up with an idea they are less then enthused about because it's so rare that their big project actually gets the green light.

I for one think that The Seas with Nemo and Friends was a reasonable overlay. It was far from earth shattering, but it got me back into a pavilion that I was otherwise indifferent towards. Comparatively, things like Lightening McQueen in Lights Motors Action or the Three Caballeros in Mexico are more lateral moves. It might provide a short term attendance boost to these attractions but long term it won't make a difference.

majortom1981

Well, if Disney had bought the rights to the Muppets, and then adapted them into a Disney version, and the results were as good as other Disney adaptations like Pinocchio and Snow White and Mary Poppins, then I'd say they truly belong in the Disney pantheon. But that's not the case here. Again, there's a difference between acquisition and artistry. Just because a Disney company CEO thought it was a great business move doesn't mean purchasing Marvel is the equal of a work like Fantasia.

Anyway, I've decided to let beaten horses lie and will now depart this thread. Cheers!

I am guessing you did not know that disney could not do anything with the muppets till about last year or so .Thats why disneys first real muppets push just started last year. We will see what disneys muppets are like on Nov 23.

ProjectGemini

Original Poster
I am guessing you did not know that disney could not do anything with the muppets till about last year or so .Thats why disneys first real muppets push just started last year. We will see what disneys muppets are like on Nov 23.

Was this a clause in the contract or something? Because those Muppet Viral Videos (i.e. Bohemian Rhapsody) have been coming out for a few years...

UnrealFire

Pizza Planet replaced with Swedish Chef restaurant, Pizza Planet moved to Pixar place. Muppet Movie ride. What if Muppetvision was like a gate way? We get taken in the the screen at Muppet theater and then we see the muppet version of the movies. I already love the Statler and Waldorf there, when I was little those characters were so real to me. Even now they look as though they're really muppets, and therefore really, human? felt? i don't know. That attraction is where the characters come alive the most for me. I'd love to see more.

I think you're on the right track. It seems like Disney is already phasing out Pizza Planet by having removed the Toy Story characters from the top of the restaurant. It makes sense since Pizza Planet should be in Pixar Place.

DisneyFan92

I just attended a pre-screening for the New Muppets Movie. I must say it was amazing. The movie was hilarious. Well done Disney, this movie should create a huge buzz around the Muppets once again and may get this project rolling finally. If this movie does the box office numbers it should after seeing it then they want to put some money into a new ride or land.

Nemofinder

I saw a minute of the opening dance on youtube, and I must say I love it. Jason Segal may helm any nostalgia train in the future, I trust him with my childhood. I'd love to see what he can do to the park.

FigmentJedi

Nope. It was really a case of being unsure what to do with them. There was the Muppet Wizard of Oz and they tried and failed at putting together a Kermit's 50th Celebration (We got the DVD re-release part of it, but nothing else) before finding things working like Letters to Santa or the viral videos. It took Jason Segel to really give them a kick in the pants to do something big with them by pitching the story that became the current movie, though the concept "Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever" was also unearthed from the Henson Archives for a brief period.

RSoxNo1

I just attended a pre-screening for the New Muppets Movie. I must say it was amazing. The movie was hilarious. Well done Disney, this movie should create a huge buzz around the Muppets once again and may get this project rolling finally. If this movie does the box office numbers it should after seeing it then they want to put some money into a new ride or land.

This is great to hear. I'm really excited to see this.

ProjectGemini

Original Poster
There's been a lot of buzz from a lot of sites saying the movie is absolutely fantastic...It's making me really excited, and lends credence to the idea that this film might be crazy successful

ght

There's been a lot of buzz from a lot of sites saying the movie is absolutely fantastic...It's making me really excited, and lends credence to the idea that this film might be crazy successful

Yep, it is 97% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, making it one of the best reviewed movies of the year. I can't wait to take my son to see it this weekend, the most he knows about the Muppets is from Muppets 3D at Disneyland and he is really looking forward to seeing more of them.

jjharvpro

saw The Muppets last night -- AWESOME movie, it was hilarious and the characters were as lovable as ever, plus the music numbers were great! hope this great movie does extremely well at box office and spurs some more popularity and relevance in the parks!

majortom1981

saw The Muppets last night -- AWESOME movie, it was hilarious and the characters were as lovable as ever, plus the music numbers were great! hope this great movie does extremely well at box office and spurs some more popularity and relevance in the parks!

So far up till today its made 40 million just in the US alone. It had a 45million dollar production budget so it will make Disney money. By the end of Sunday it should have at least made back what they spent to make it.

PS I saw the movie also and it rocked !!!! I just whish i was not so busy this weekend so i can see it for a second time.

twinnstar

While I'd love to have the Disney parks be purely Disney - I dont mind when disney owned properties like Pixar and Muppets are included - because I think they all fall under the same 'theme' and 'idea'. But Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Avatar...nope, sorry. Those aren't Disney at all. Yes, I like Star Tours, etc etc...but it always felt weird to me. It just doesnt fit.

Muppets fit! Plus, who doesn't like the Muppets? If you don't, You have no soul :lookaroun:lol:

Also, just saw the new movie: Piggys voice was spot on, and Kermit was pretty good too (but off at times), but fozzie was teeeeerrrrible! Gotta work on that Fozzie! The movie was AMAZING though. LOVE!!!!!!! :)

twinnstar

So far up till today its made 40 million just in the US alone. It had a 45million dollar production budget so it will make Disney money. By the end of Sunday it should have at least made back what they spent to make it.

PS I saw the movie also and it rocked !!!! I just whish i was not so busy this weekend so i can see it for a second time.

YAY! that makes me SO happy that it did well. I am going to see it again next week too! (and i agree i would have seen it again this weekend if i wasnt so busy!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom