New Muppet Ride?

RonAnnArbor

They wouldn't have to "replace" anything -- DHS is filled with dead space, empty sound stages, and plenty of room for a new attraction. There are big empty buildings throughout the park. Remember, WDW owns everything there, so they can pretty much expand wherever they want, even beyond the water retention ponds. Having room is the last of their concerns. It really all does boil down to money. The usually don't proceed with new projects like this unless they have a corporate sponsor lined up. But the Muppets sell well, and I could see some corporation easily falling into line to sponsor it -- I wouldn't count it out. Jason Segal has some of his own issues, but things like this are absolutely possible, and in fact, there are already old designs and layouts for a Muppet Ride. Easily doable.

DABIGCHEEZ

Maybe they can just bulldoze that ugly theater and build the muppet ride there from scratch. :lookaroun:ROFLOL:

Seriously though, hope the moovie does well and will warrent a ride... but let's just wait and see. Oh and MGM certainly needs more Muppets...they are classic. But you knew I would say that.

Clockwork

The next person to use the ever-so-idiotic "wrong-sounding Muppets" thing is going to get it! :mad:

Saying something as stupid as that is exactly the same as saying "wrong-sounding Disney characters" or "wrong-sounding Looney Tunes" and other equally-idiotic, stupid and harsh, mean-spirited things like that. :mad: :hammer:
Countrybear fan are you a muppeteer how is saying that the muppets are wrong sounding mean spirited,stupid or harsh. As a muppet fan I agree they do sound wrong and its puppeteers job to make them sound as close as possible to the original. I've seen the movie numerous muppets sound entirely different from scene to scene. I think it's juvenile for you to state people are going to get it for stating their opinion. This isn't the first time this statement has been made and I was on the receiving end last time you made it. Sorry to derail the thread a muppet ride would be awesome. I'm not a muppet afficianado but I ve been on set of Sesame St numerous times and I think since Frank Oz stopped supplying numerous voices the quality hasnt been there

iceman22

Here's a few links about the Great Muppet Movie Ride.

http://www.theneverlandfiles.com/tnf/disneyworld/greatmuppetmovieride.php

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/The_Great_Muppet_Movie_Ride

http://www.2719hyperion.com/2011/01/lost-imagineering-great-muppet-movie.html

& another replacement for GMR that was scraped is the "Chinese Theater's Villain Ride."

Also when I was looking I found a link where there is a list of never built rides at WDW! http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2008/05/wikipedia-list-of-never-built-disney.html

FigmentJedi

I'm really hoping for Muppet Movie Ride revival. Probably my favorite unused ride concept, right up there with Western River Expedition and that supposed Godzilla concept Hill's occasionally written of.

AEfx

I'm really hoping for Muppet Movie Ride revival. Probably my favorite unused ride concept...

It's absolutely mine.

I know I still have it somewhere, at least I hope I do, but when I was a pre-teen I used to write Disney a lot to ask for park maps, etc. (when they used to send such things out) and one very nice person I actually called one day sent me a document that now I think must have been a shareholder newsletter or something (at the time all I know is that it felt very insider). It detailed the rides and attractions coming to WDW in the next few years (and this was 90, 91). It talked about the rides Mr. Tracy was supposed to feature in, a bunch of other stuff, and, of course, the Muppet Movie Ride.

So I've known about this ride for a VERY long time, and it would really be a dream come true to finally see it. As we were talking about in a recent Muppets thread, the Muppets are the most perfect candidates for a dark ride, ever. They are already 3-dimensional, constructed objects. In most rides, they are trying to replicate 2-D animated characters, or real-life humans (which is why I think probably the best looking animatronics of late have been Pixar-related, as they are already 3-D).

So you have these characters that are already made of felt and cloth, they just need the inner animatronic guts to make them life-like. Plus, they just really need moving limbs, head, basic mouth - the eyes don't need to move, which is often the big give-away of an animatronic's realism (at least for me).

Basically, they are already puppets - they just need them electronically controlled instead of human, and we'd see Muppets just like we know and love "alive".

I'd give up any NextGen stuff for that, let me tell ya...It would be magnificent.

Magenta Panther

Agreed. I would be none too pleased if TGMR was replaced! I'm all for a Muppet ride, as I love the Muppets, but not at the expense of TGMR.

I don't want any more of non-Disney-created/influenced stuff in the parks, (ONE Star Wars ride, ONE Muppets attraction, is plenty for me), but I do think the GMR needs a refurb, and if such a refurb happens, maybe a Muppet movie scene could be included in it. :shrug:

AEfx

I don't want any more of non-Disney-created/influenced stuff in the parks, (ONE Star Wars ride, ONE Muppets attraction, is plenty for me), but I do think the GMR needs a refurb, and if such a refurb happens, maybe a Muppet movie scene could be included in it. :shrug:

Well, if the new film does as well as expected (and largely the word of mouth has been phenomenal), Disney will certainly be "influencing" it a lot more as they now own the property.

That said, I think you will be disappointed in the future of the parks, though. As Avatar shows, the direction they are heading in is more and more use of this type of thing, outside themes. Although I agree that it's a shame we haven't seen a Sleeping Beauty dark ride, for example, and I too would like to see more use of classics (especially as opposed to Pixar, I mean - we have two rides with Toy Story characters you shoot at), but Disney is out to not be Potter'd again.

It's all about your personal taste, though. Avatar is quite literally the last...I don't know what to call it, as it's not a "franchise" yet, just one film, but the last property, I guess, I'd ever want to see at WDW, but if they said they were building a park of all Star Wars and Muppets? I'd be camping out at the gate the day they announced it.

But, as I said, you should expect a lot more of this - or you will be disappointed. It's just the direction the company is going in. Like I also said, I do want more use of classic characters/films, but on the other hand - Six Flags isn't gonna build a good Star Wars or Muppet ride, so I'm glad that we have Disney to do so, or we wouldn't see them at all.

misterID

I'd just like to state, since it's been ignored several times in this thread, that the Muppet movie ride wasn't going to replace anything. It wasn't going to replace TGMR. It was it's own seperate attraction. TGMR wouldn't be going anywhere.

piglet66

I would love to see a Muppets ride in the park, I think they are great. And, it's not like HS couldn't use another dark ride to help keep people in the park longer.

Cmdr_Crimson

If anything..Do what was originally intended for the Muppets
The%2BMuppet%2BStudios%2BLogo.bmp

Muppet%2BCtyd.jpg

csm

This seems like an awful idea all together. The muppets really have nothing to do with Disney and its enough of a presence thanks to the theater.

You're totally right!!! Whoever owns the Muppets should just build a ride about them in their OWN studio so that the DISNEY studio can only have DISNEY characters in it!!!!!!1!

:hammer:

ProjectGemini

Original Poster
You're totally right!!! Whoever owns the Muppets should just build a ride about them in their OWN studio so that the DISNEY studio can only have DISNEY characters in it!!!!!!1!

I assume this last post was joking...but people do realize that Disney Owns The Muppets right? It's not the same as Star Wars/Avatar...these are now Disney Owned properties and characters

britdaw

I saw that in the article, as well... I wondered if there was any truth to it. So far, apparently no one else has heard anything about this, but I wouldn't completely rule it out. If the movie does as well as they're hoping it will, maybe we'll get something new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom