New Monorail Resort Dining Experience Announced

JWG

Wow must suck to be poor huh? Only peasants actually put in some effort to tailor their vacation to their own personal needs, without being on someone else time schedule. That sounds awful to me, putting in some actual thought into a vacation... yuck.

Wow, anger much? I don't think there was a complaint in there anywhere about creating our own experience was there? Tried to book it, thought it was a good idea, couldn't, so we'll do our own.

Luxe

Wow, anger much? I don't think there was a complaint in there anywhere about creating our own experience was there? Tried to book it, thought it was a good idea, couldn't, so we'll do our own.
I knew I should have added a disclaimer to that post! I was being sarcastic about the fact that you actually put a little bit of effort into your vacation as opposed to being spoon fed like many people these days. I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing you or your proactive vacation choices. Apologies if it seemed like I was upset, I should have made it more clear that I was being sarcastic!

I think you made a much better decision doing it on your own, that way you can relax, take your time and enjoy the experience.

MickeyCrazed

I was at the Contemporary last night and the monorail was having "electrical issues" at the exact same time that the event was occurring on the fourth floor viewing patio. I made a prediction that the monorail would be magically fixed as soon as Wishes was over, and guess what??? It was!

I can't believe the Disney would go as far as disrupting the transportation for the guests at three hotels just so a handful of people could get a good view of the fireworks without the monorail moving in and out of the Contemporary during that time. (The monorail would've enter the hotel right above their heads. )

MickeyCrazed

I agree with you 100%. Disney can have all the hard ticket and up charge events they care to have, whether a good deal or bad. When they start closing down attractions or streets or floors, or have to wait for the next monorail because part of it is being reserved etc.. to the regular guest that should have access to it on regular operating hours, that ticks me off.

For the most part the 4th floor patio was open to all guests. Only the very corner, where the monorail enters and exits the hotel, was roped off. This is the portion that offers the best view of the castle

drizgirl

For the most part the 4th floor patio was open to all guests. Only the very corner, where the monorail enters and exits the hotel, was roped off. This is the portion that offers the best view of the castle

Yes, the rest of you guests have lots of room. Just not the room where you have a good view of the castle.

Yeah, none of this affects anyone else.

MickeyCrazed

I was semi mad that I couldn't get that view, because I specifically went to the hotel for that reason. I was more peeved that the monorail was down for all guests due to that select group.

drizgirl

I was semi mad that I couldn't get that view, because I specifically went to the hotel for that reason. I was more peeved that the monorail was down for all guests due to that select group.

I would be mad as well.

I haven't read this thread real closely, why was the monorail down for all guests because of that group? Didn't they just ride like everyone else?

Luxe

I wasn't using the monorail at that time so it doesn't effect me. If it didn't effect me, why should I care?

rob0519

I wasn't using the monorail at that time so it doesn't effect me. If it didn't effect me, why should I care?

You should care if indeed the monorail was stopped to provide a dozen people with an uninterrupted view. While THIS particular event did not affect you, some paid event in the future may indeed affect you. The more paid, privileged events like this that are put in place, the greater the chance it will eventually affect something you do care about. History is full of "it doesn't affect me" events of all types that eventually affected a lot of people.

Luxe

You should care if indeed the monorail was stopped to provide a dozen people with an uninterrupted view. While THIS particular event did not affect you, some paid event in the future may indeed affect you. The more paid, privileged events like this that are put in place, the greater the chance it will eventually affect something you do care about. History is full of "it doesn't affect me" events of all types that eventually affected a lot of people.
Was being sarcastic by imitating the mentality too many on these boards have these days, the "doesn't effect me who cares" attitude.

rob0519

Was being sarcastic by imitating the mentality too many on these boards have these days, the "doesn't effect me who cares" attitude.

Maybe this board needs a sarcasm font. I've had the same problem myself. Perhaps, not a font, just Italics?

Cletus

Nice conspiracy you've got going there. Seriously, the lengths some of you go is amazing. You should really look into becoming a writer so you can make some money off these bizarre theories.
If you read the Touring Plans review of this event you will see that they did indeed hold a Monorail car for use ONLY by the 25 people doing this. The reviewer on TP said it made them feel awkward to have so many people waiting for them to board the Monorail. This happened at all of the stops.

Edit to add TP quote:

"We exited The Wave lounge around 7:15 PM and made our way through a few back doors and stairwells up to the Contemporary’s monorail platform, where we walked straight onto an empty car in a waiting monorail. This was, to put it plainly, a little awkward, considering a rather large crowd of guests waiting to board the monorail watched this happen – this would become a theme of the night. Personally, I felt a bit uncomfortable with the reserved monorail car and that everyone was waiting on us, but I also understand that logistically, that was what I’d signed up for."

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Hmmmm $150. I can ride the monorail for free. For the price, i could dine at all 3 restaurants and eat better food that i like. And i do not want to be around people i don't like or know. Im straight. The menu looks pathetic.

JWG

So, we tonight, created our own version of this:
5:00pm - Left our room at BLT to board the monorail to Poly
5:20pm - Arrived at Trader Sam's where we enjoyed 2 glasses of wine, two signature drinks, the fried potstickers ($53 event)
6:40pm - Left Tambu Lounge to walk to Grand Floridian Cafe for dinner
7:00pm - Arrived and checked in at Grand Floridian Cafe
7:20pm - Seated at Grand Floridian Cafe where we ordered 2 glasses of wine, a caesar salad, and two entries ($80 dinner)
8:40pm - Left Grand Floridian Cafe to monorail back to BLT
8:58pm - Arrived at Top of the World Lounge where we ordered 1 glass of wine, 1 signature drink, and the 7 layer cake ($38 event)
9:00pm - Watched fireworks / Holiday Wishes
9:30pm - Returned to our room in BLT

So, our 4.5 hour progressive dinner included 8 alcohol drinks (4 per person), 1 appetizer, 1 salad (shared), 2 entrees, and 1 dessert. It cost us a total of $170 or so (with tips at 15-20%) and we were able to watch the fireworks from the 16th floor of BLT vs. 4th of Contemporary. Not quite half the price of the scheduled event, but close (understanding we ate the cheapest option at Grand Floridian).

While it is a cool idea, it can definitely be done cheaper than the given rate and we didn't have any monorail wait issues. Walked onto a waiting monorail at BLT and had to wait about 5 minutes (but got on the first monorail) at Grand Floridian. And that's in prime dinner time while the MK is open until 12:00a (and the ride from GF to BLT was during prime "return" time for fireworks at 9pm).

All-in-all, the concept is good and the cost isn't terrible, but we enjoyed being able to go to the actual bars (especially Trader Same's) vs. a special place / area and spend less without any issue.

Bandini

According to another site, Disney already is cutting back on this experience. Evidently, they served their guest champagne in glass flutes and people could sit and relax. Now it's being served in a plastic to-go glass at the end of the bar in Citricos, I also heard the the 5 dessert options have been cut to 2. I wonder when the cheese will be replaced by cheese whiz.:confused:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
According to another site, Disney already is cutting back on this experience. Evidently, they served their guest champagne in glass flutes and people could sit and relax. Now it's being served in a plastic to-go glass at the end of the bar in Citricos, I also heard the the 5 dessert options have been cut to 2. I wonder when the cheese will be replaced by cheese whiz.:confused:

Or velveeta...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom