New modern day costumes coming to American Adventure?

Clever Name

The CMs are supposed to be costumed, not caricatures.
They could do both. Italy has their actors. I'm sure the details could be worked out. Of course, the main thing would be money. Actors cost a lot of money compared to normal CM's. You're right that it would cost too much.

I_heart_Tigger

I can't even imagine this happening. Why would they single out AA as the only country without historical costumes? It would be so absurd. Also if the trend is to have all the pavilions start wearing moderm costumes then what - we end up with the World Showcase of jeans and t-shirts?

Also, don't even start with saying that the AA costumes don't accurately represent America because NONE of the people that are from any of the WS countries feel like they are being represented accurately. Canadians laugh their heads off when they find out the costume for Canada is a lumberjack. It's like a fairy tale. We know what we think people would be like from different countries so they took the stereotypes and ran with it.

Finally, Americans are people from the United States - NORTH AMERICANS can also be Canadian or Mexican. There are also Central Americans and South Americans but Americans will always be a reference to people from the United States of America. Don't call Canadians or Mexicans "American". If you must you may call us North American but to call us American is just wrong and no one in the world will understand what you are talking about.

I'm not saying it was necessarily the original use of the word but today and in every country in the world when you say American you are understood to be referring to a citizen of the United States.

spaceghost

Every time I visit AA, I always think that it would be great if modern women dressed that way now. Hmmm...I probably just revealed too much about myself... o_O Needless to say, if this is true, booooo!

I_heart_Tigger

Also, please PLEASE don't change the Canadian merch/attractions costume. I realize Canadians find it ridiculous to be cast as lumberjacks but it is the best costume (especially for girls) in all of the showcase. The shirts are very lightweight and we get to wear shorts outside (with workboots, yes) but hey, we get to roll up our sleeves and have bare legs which is better than most of the female costumes in the showcase.

I can only imagine how hot it must be with the layers of skirts/petticoats/aprons some of them have to wear

Clever Name

Finally, Americans are people from the United States - NORTH AMERICANS can also be Canadian or Mexican. There are also Central Americans and South Americans but Americans will always be a reference to people from the United States of America. Don't call Canadians or Mexicans "American". If you must you may call us North American but to call us American is just wrong and no one in the world will understand what you are talking about.

I'm not saying it was necessarily the original use of the word but today and in every country in the world when you say American you are understood to be referring to a citizen of the United States.
I want to hear about Puerto Rico next.

tl77

At "Independence Hall" in Philadelphia there are people in period clothing who give tours, but most of the employees are park rangers because it's a national park site... but no airline steward outfits anywhere
cell-phone-holley-todd_2.jpg

Clever Name

At "Independence Hall" in Philadelphia there are people in period clothing who give tours, but most of the employees are park rangers because it's a national park site... but no airline steward outfits anywhere
cell-phone-holley-todd_2.jpg
But they have a staff full of historians (that earn top dollar) to make sure everything is historically correct.

I_heart_Tigger

I want to hear about Puerto Rico next.

Sure...the forts are great. I recommend El Morro on a Sunday for kite flying, great way to spend an afternoon. Old San Juan is nice for dining al fresco but it's becoming a little too trendy for my taste. Calle San Sebastian is good for live entertainment and of course, El Yunque is a must for anyone who loves the great outdoors.

Clever Name

Sure...the forts are great. I recommend El Morro on a Sunday for kite flying, great way to spend an afternoon. Old San Juan is nice for dining al fresco but it's becoming a little too trendy for my taste. Calle San Sebastian is good for live entertainment and of course, El Yunque is a must for anyone who loves the great outdoors.
I'm always impressed with how they vote for the U.S. President.

The Empress Lilly

I find it amusing that there are now three pages of people complaining about costumes they haven't even seen...
Au contraire! We are complainign about costumes we do have seen! Namely, the ones facing possible replacement.

If they threaten to demolish Cinderella Castle for a DVC kiosk, then should we refrain from commentary until we have seen the final result?

~ but maybe the DVC kiosk will have a large Coca-Cola sign on top! ~

Clever Name

They need to get rid of The Voices of Liberty. That act has run its course. It’s boring. They could bring Davy Crockett to meet the guests.

I_heart_Tigger

They need to get rid of The Voices of Liberty. That act has run its course. It’s boring. They could bring Davy Crockett to meet the guests.

Davy Crockett would be cool. I always enjoyed the old Paul Bunyan short, maybe they could make a big blue ox costume to accompany him (or just a well trained ox with some blue paint) :)

Ichabod Crane and Headless Horseman as characters there would be great too!

Clever Name

Davy Crockett would be cool. I always enjoyed the old Paul Bunyan short, maybe they could make a big blue ox costume to accompany him (or just a well trained ox with some blue paint) :)

Ichabod Crane and Headless Horseman as characters there would be great too!

They just need to make a clear distinction between actual historic figures (Crockett, Clemens, etc.) and fictional characters. I really wouldn’t trust Disney to do any living history because they’d make it too happy. They are, of course, masters of fictional material and would do great in that vein. Disney is not a good venue for any sort of education but they can do great entertainment!

The Washington Irving characters would be super! Good idea!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom