New modern day costumes coming to American Adventure?

asianway

Original Poster
Wow!!!

Just when you think Disney/TDO can't get dumber, can't make worse choices that affect guests/fans/cast, they do.
This is a godawful idea and the fact that AA CMs are speaking out about it lends enough crdedence for me ... no, sorry apologists, I don't need to wait and see yet more Walmarting (or Gapping in this case) in order to rip it.

So ... so dumb ..

I'd love to know who was responsible for this ... someone who clearly needs to make 'decisions' to justify the fact they work for Disney and not down at the outlet mall.

C'mon ... there has to be someone who wants to do battle over this stupidity.
Seems no one can defend this one.

Q: without naming names, has anyone to your knowledge ever been shown the door for blatant stupidity? I mean, this had to be somebodys idea, there had to be a PowerPoint, a series of meetings, and some buffoon to sign off on it?

Is this going to be Erin Youngs legacy?

Clever Name

Yeah, I get what you're sayin'. However, it is common to refer to the U.S.A. as "America", and it's not like Disney invented it. Nobody is confused when you say "America". There are quirks in every field of study and every corner of the world; you don't need to make it your personal mission to correct them all.
Hawaii is part of the United States but the indigenous people are not from America. So when we refer to indigenous people of Hawaii as 'American" it is a colloquialism. People from Canada, Mexico and Brazil are true Americans. That's why the American Experience is really not correct. Political boundaries and geographic boundaries are not properly addressed.

I do appreciate your concern in the matter rather than playing the troll card which is so often used in these forums.

Cosmic Commando

Hawaii is part of the United States but the indigenous people are not from America. So when we refer to indigenous people of Hawaii as 'American" it is a colloquialism. People from Canada, Mexico and Brazil are true Americans. That's why the American Experience is really not correct. Political boundaries and geographic boundaries are not properly addressed.

I do appreciate your concern in the matter rather than playing the troll card which is so often used in these forums.
Well, Hawaii was annexed in 1898, so it is likely that every living person born in Hawaii was born in America. That would make them American. If you go back far enough, we all came from Africa, so nobody's really an American then! :confused:

WDW1974

This is one decision I can't even begin to fathom.....

I am hoping that they leaked the news and got the story placed with Roseboom's lifestyler rag in the hopes that fans complain and let Disney know what they think of this.

My advice would be to let Disney ... starting with EPCOT VP of the Moment Erin Youngs (yes, I believe that is how she spells her name) ... know how this isn't something they should be doing.

WDW1974

Seems no one can defend this one.

Q: without naming names, has anyone to your knowledge ever been shown the door for blatant stupidity? I mean, this had to be somebodys idea, there had to be a PowerPoint, a series of meetings, and some buffoon to sign off on it?

Is this going to be Erin Youngs legacy?

No, to answer your question in all my years of being close to TWDC's P&R division, I have never known a stupid person who makes stupid decisions at the management level to EVER be let go because of it. Never.

And you wanna know what's wrong with Disney today?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I am hoping that they leaked the news and got the story placed with Roseboom's lifestyler rag in the hopes that fans complain and let Disney know what they think of this.

My advice would be to let Disney ... starting with EPCOT VP of the Moment Erin Youngs (yes, I believe that is how she spells her name) ... know how this isn't something they should be doing.

I think that is the best possible scenario; that this is merely a miserable trial balloon and Disney is getting the feedback they deserve right now.

Clever Name

Well, Hawaii was annexed in 1898, so it is likely that every living person born in Hawaii was born in America. That would make them American. If you go back far enough, we all came from Africa, so nobody's really an American then! :confused:

Excellent point! This gets to the crux of the entire discussion. What boundaries do we use to determine what is “American”? We have geography and political affiliation but we also have time as you wisely pointed out. The term “American Experience” doesn’t mean very much.

WDW1974

Excellent point! This gets to the crux of the entire discussion. What boundaries do we use to determine what is “American”? We have geography and political affiliation but we also have time as you wisely pointed out. The term “American Experience” doesn’t mean very much.

I actually don't disagree with anything you are saying ... but what does this have to do with the absurd change of AA costumes? Do you have an opinion on that? Or are you saying we should invite our pals from Canada and Mexico along for the show?

Clever Name

I actually don't disagree with anything you are saying ... but what does this have to do with the absurd change of AA costumes? Do you have an opinion on that? Or are you saying we should invite our pals from Canada and Mexico along for the show?

Please forgive me. I do tend to wander. My point here is that the colonial costumes used at the American Adventure are rather arbitrary. Colonial costumes are associated with the founding of the USA. Are the costumes worn by CM’s in the other world showcase pavilions associated with the founding of their respective countries? To my knowledge, they are not.

I think in each case the CM’s in each world showcase country are dressed in costumes that WDW thinks presents a positive imagine for that country. Clearly WDW attempts to imitate colonial Williamsburg. I think it has dawned upon them that they have not done a very good job in this regard. Anyone would has visited colonial Williamsburg knows that the WDW colonial costuming is poor by comparison.

WDW needs to drop the historic pretense. Perhaps they could have young people dressed in hip-hop outfits and other such fashions of current times in the USA.

Tom

Beta Return
Please forgive me. I do tend to wander. My point here is that the colonial costumes used at the American Adventure are rather arbitrary. Colonial costumes are associated with the founding of the USA. Are the costumes worn by CM’s in the other world showcase pavilions associated with the founding of their respective countries? To my knowledge, they are not.

I think in each case the CM’s in each world showcase country are dressed in costumes that WDW thinks presents a positive imagine for that country. Clearly WDW attempts to imitate colonial Williamsburg. I think it has dawned upon them that they have not done a very good job in this regard. Anyone would has visited colonial Williamsburg knows that the WDW colonial costuming is poor by comparison.

WDW needs to drop the historic pretense. Perhaps they could have young people dressed in hip-hop outfits and other such fashions of current times in the USA.

I seriously hope you're kidding in your last sentence. That is just plain absurd.

FrankLapidus

I don't think WDW is aiming for historical accuracy but rather catering to guests' stereotypical expectations of each individual country.

GenerationX

No joke - Mexico's official name is the United Mexican States, and Brazil's is the Republic of the United States of Brazil. We one-upped them in geographic generalities. We should take a cue from BP or KFC and drop the actual words and market ourselves as simply USA. That way, we'd be collectively known as USAers, which would not confuse us with other residents of the North and South American continents.

As for the new costumes, I have a concern if AA CMs are dressed in modern day clothes. To avoid confusion over who is a guest and who is a CM, wouldn't that mean guests would not be allowed in the park in modern day clothes?

Clever Name

I seriously hope you're kidding in your last sentence. That is just plain absurd.

Fashion is a very tricky thing and I don’t pretend to know much about the subject. However, I think it would be fun to have CM’s at the American Adventure in different costumes on different days. Turn of the century Victorian costumes, 1920’s flappers, 1930’s dustbowl characters, 1940’s slick suits, 1950’s rock and roll/ and beat nick outfits, 1960’s peace protestors and 1970’s head bangers. Every day would be a new surprise and the actors could really tell their stories and talk to guests. A rocker from the 1950’s would talk about Elvis and he/she would know nothing about the Beatles. I think it would be very popular.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Fashion is a very tricky thing and I don’t pretend to know much about the subject. However, I think it would be fun to have CM’s at the American Adventure in different costumes on different days. Turn of the century Victorian costumes, 1920’s flappers, 1930’s dustbowl characters, 1940’s slick suits, 1950’s rock and roll/ and beat nick outfits, 1960’s peace protestors and 1970’s head bangers. Every day would be a new surprise and the actors could really tell their stories and talk to guests. A rocker from the 1950’s would talk about Elvis and he/she would know nothing about the Beatles. I think it would be very popular.
Nudism is pretty popular in the US of America.........

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

The CMs are supposed to be costumed, not caricatures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom