New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

jdmdisney99

*tries to steer this away from another Uni v WDW debate no matter what's correct or not *

Nice weather we're having.
765469b73aa0ceb17bd5c4fb95b1dfd69616e303a09fa7cc2c1607f09bdd9665.jpg

Next Big Thing

Just thought i'd put this out there: With this being a peak week, this was a true test of what sort of relief the Bypass can give on a regular basis. It's been so busy these past few weeks that not only is this bypass open, the other side is as well. Even so, Main Street still seems downright dangerous. It's a testament to how HUGE of a draw Wishes and also how desperate the park is for added capacity (but at the same time, it's a catch 22, because by added capacity, I mean E-ticket, and attendance can only increase with a new E).

MarkTwain

Just thought i'd put this out there: With this being a peak week, this was a true test of what sort of relief the Bypass can give on a regular basis. It's been so busy these past few weeks that not only is this bypass open, the other side is as well. Even so, Main Street still seems downright dangerous. It's a testament to how HUGE of a draw Wishes and also how desperate the park is for added capacity (but at the same time, it's a catch 22, because by added capacity, I mean E-ticket, and attendance can only increase with a new E).

This would be just after the fireworks, I take it?

You'd think in times like these, more people would get the hint. We go during peak times of year every year, and we can avoid all the monorail/bus traffic just by staying in the park an extra hour or two. Maybe Disney should start exploring alternate strategies, like making friendly reminder announcements about the late park hours directly after the fireworks, or creating a late night show on the castle stage or something else that many people will want to stick around for.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

This would be just after the fireworks, I take it?

You'd think in times like these, more people would get the hint. We go during peak times of year every year, and we can avoid all the monorail/bus traffic just by staying in the parking extra hour or two. Maybe Disney should start exploring alternate strategies, like making friendly reminder announcements about the late park hours directly after the fireworks, or creating a late night show on the castle stage or something else that many people will want to stick around for.
Yes sir.

The park has been so busy of late that the FIRST Electrical parade doesn't start until 10:15 and the second until 12:15 with a second showing of Celebrate the Magic in between. Something different rather than just repeating the same old stuff would be nice or maybe even some sort of draw in another land, rather than everything be castle-based. On top of that, they have FoF twice a day right now and MiSiCi is going on twice right before all of the night entertainment starts. Not to mention about 5-6 Dream Along with Mickey's. And when none of that is going on, there's the Dapper Dan's, Jim playing piano over at Casey, the flag retreat, etc. There's almost not a moment on Main Street/The Hub where there isn't some form of entertainment going on.

But this Easter travel season sure is a busy one. I've lived in FL for 6 years now and I can't recall the parks being this busy around this time of late.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Additions to other parks will help, but those parks also need to be open as late as the Magic Kingdom. Give people actual choices instead of having the park hours dictate which park you're going to hop to.

PhotoDave219

Yes sir.

The park has been so busy of late that the FIRST Electrical parade doesn't start until 10:15 and the second until 12:15 with a second showing of Celebrate the Magic in between. Something different rather than just repeating the same old stuff would be nice or maybe even some sort of draw in another land, rather than everything be castle-based. On top of that, they have FoF twice a day right now and MiSiCi is going on twice right before all of the night entertainment starts. Not to mention about 5-6 Dream Along with Mickey's. And when none of that is going on, there's the Dapper Dan's, Jim playing piano over at Casey, the flag retreat, etc. There's almost not a moment on Main Street/The Hub where there isn't some form of entertainment going on.

But this Easter travel season sure is a busy one. I've lived in FL for 6 years now and I can't recall the parks being this busy around this time of late.

Looks like the majority were resort guests. MK's parking lot didnt fill.

Kman101

Additions to other parks will help, but those parks also need to be open as late as the Magic Kingdom. Give people actual choices instead of having the park hours dictate which park you're going to hop to.

THIS! To me, it's a HUGE problem BECAUSE the MK is always open so late and the other parks PROMPTLY close at 7/8/9. Epcot easily can handle staying open later, at least World Showcase, but they'd have to pay for staff and entertainment. Can't have that. Hollywood Studios, I'll give them the early closing, but even then no reason it can't ALWAYS stay open until at least 10. Animal Kingdom, I get it, but that should change soon. Although how late will be late for them? I'm curious to see just how extended the hours will be once Rivers of Light starts and the night safari is an option ... will late be 8pm?

Bolt

Yes sir.

For real - and don't forget the Trolley show runs like 6 times in the morning, too.

doctornick

THIS! To me, it's a HUGE problem BECAUSE the MK is always open so late and the other parks PROMPTLY close at 7/8/9. Epcot easily can handle staying open later, at least World Showcase, but they'd have to pay for staff and entertainment. Can't have that. Hollywood Studios, I'll give them the early closing, but even then no reason it can't ALWAYS stay open until at least 10. Animal Kingdom, I get it, but that should change soon. Although how late will be late for them? I'm curious to see just how extended the hours will be once Rivers of Light starts and the night safari is an option ... will late be 8pm?

I'm curious if RoL will be a once a night or twice a night show. I would expect it to be similar to Fantasmic! and run 2 times a night during busier times. During the summer, sunset is between 8pm to 9pm, so the earliest RoL could be is ~8:30pm. If they do two shows, we're looking at something like 8:30pm and 10pm in the summer.

My point being that while they might be able to get away with something like 8pm during slow times in the winter, I'd expect to see DAK open until 9 or 10pm most of the year.

djkidkaz

I think the best thing for MK and its horrible crowds on Main Street will be the addition of ROL at AK. One of the few things to help slim crowds at a nighttime show is opening a new nighttime show somewhere else. MK is always going to be busy and the entire park probably needs to double in size with the amount of Guests it sees in a day but that's not happening anytime soon. I don't see people booking vacations to come see ROL so instead of increasing traffic in the parks it should more likely disperse the traffic already in the parks. We'll see....

MaryJaneP

Time-shifting the mass exodus (earlier or later fireworks/parades/shows/park-closing) does not seem to be the answer. Not sure if any of the suggestions made above would convince a significant number of guests to stage or delay their exit behavior enough to make a meaningful change in the congestions getting out of MK. Whatever terminal event is chosen by the majority to signal it is time to go home seems to create the problem. Does the park experience this problem on nights when there is no fireworks/parade to end the day (i.e. rain/wind)?

roj2323

Thanks for the try tho. Lots of Chain link Fencing in front of M0-7 It looks like?

well kinda. When you first enter the bypass off to the left the wall of tomorrowland terrace has what is essentially a trellis structure. It's comprised of large panels of 8 gauge grided wire between 6x6 steel posts. The steel posts have lights attached to the sides. In front of this is a low railing about one foot out from the trellis. Once you get past the building the railing continues to follow the path and behind it there is a deep planter with a chain link fabric covered fence at the back. Evergreen bushes were predominate. breaking up this deep planter was two gates. one gate was about halfway through the path and the other was at the end inline with the front gate leading to town square. From what I could tell the left side of the bypass is essentially done aside from some minor details. The right side however is a mess. there are sections that are complete (planter behind the confectionary) and other spots were just construction fence (behind the Plaza restaurant) It's really a hodge podge and there's a lot of temporary shrub boxes on wheels present. On the plus side the entire thing looks as if they are taking their time to get it right. I don't think they are working from hard plans but rather they are figuring it out as they go and so far it's looking pretty good aside from the overly large gate posts which should blend in as the plants grown in.

Next Big Thing

Best guess I could come up with based on the photos. Any guesses on when the thing might be finished?
They've stalled much of the progress on it lately with high crowds for Spring Break, but I expect work to pick up again starting next week... they were moving pretty rapidly for awhile. Not sure how long left, but I assume they want most done before major summer crowds hit, especially July 4th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom