New lighting at Space Mountain

Brad Bishop

It's very likely that these are RGBW LEDs that they have been using for years for temporary special events. This will give them the ability to easily change the color from the standard white to whatever they want for events and so on while being more energy efficient than the old floodlights.

1) I hope you're right with them being RGBW LEDs (you're very likely right - it's obvious that it's what they've been doing resort wide)
2) I hope they light it up like they used to where it was quite bright at night. Kind of majestic off to the side
3) I hope they don't do what they do with the castle and leave the RGBW lights on "demo mode" - just pointlessly cycling through the colors.

RGBW LEDs can be really cool as a way to make the castle, Space Mountain, or whatever appear spooky for Halloween or colorful at Christmas .. or red, white, and blue for the 4th. I think that's cool. Having them just cycle makes no sense to me. Makes photography a bit tough because if you don't want an odd-colored castle, you have to hang around and wait for the cycle to repeat.

MarkTwain

Great news. I wonder if they'll be programmed with the ability to do any blinking or synchronized dancing effects.

Even if not, this should look better (and brighter) than the dim spot lighting that barely lights up Space Mountain right now.

It's a small start....

and hoping they cover all guest facing areas and not just the park side.

Definitely hoping they light up the side facing the Contemporary. The view of Magic Kingdom from Bay Lake Tower is mostly dominated by Space Mountain, but looks incredibly dark from that angle.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
image.jpeg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They're not actually leaving it like that, are they...? Looks like someone left a set of work lights on the roof.

Maybe it's not as bad from a wider perspective?

Well it's not much different than those that were there in 1975
Heck, those were still there last year.
smrca1.jpg

They've always been like that, if I recall.

The wiring and extra boxes do look messy. Hopefully that'll be tidied up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom