NEW HOTEL?

GiveMeTheMusic

Well if there will be one visible from the ground in NOS, which is highly unlikely, I'm pretty certain the Imagineers do.

By the way, there was a Disney hotel planned for this location back in the late 1990s, so this is not a new idea. Reposting this image of the Magic Kingdom Hotel as a reference.

03_1991.jpg

Note that this building's profile is much to low to have a clear view into Disneyland Park. Maybe Disney will dust off these old plans, who knows?

A similar style to this concept is definitely on the table, and the likely winner. The other proposed style/theme for the hotel makes zero sense, and I can't even imagine this team of vision-free executives approving it.

Stevek

Well if there will be one visible from the ground in NOS, which is highly unlikely, I'm pretty certain the Imagineers do.

By the way, there was a Disney hotel planned for this location back in the late 1990s, so this is not a new idea. Reposting this image of the Magic Kingdom Hotel as a reference.

03_1991.jpg

Note that this building's profile is much to low to have a clear view into Disneyland Park. Maybe Disney will dust off these old plans, who knows?
Beautiful. Kinda reminds me of the Mission Inn in Riverside as well.

truecoat

03_1991.jpg

It's a top floor restaurant that will have views of Fantasmic so it will more than likely be visible in the park.

D

Deleted member 107043

It's a top floor restaurant that will have views of Fantasmic so it will more than likely be visible in the park.

I'm not so bothered by that really. I'm more annoyed by the idea that hotel guests will have a clear view of Disneyland's backstage areas and ugly rooftops.

I realize someone said this on Twitter, but I don't see how that's possible.

I'm hoping they end up with a building that has a low profile more or less like the GCH.

TP2000

I realize someone said this on Twitter, but I don't see how that's possible.

Cause it's not. That parking lot is too far from Fantasmic! to see anything of the show, much less be able to see something worth marketing.

And the guy on Twitter lost me entirely when he claimed it would be Anaheim's first "five star" hotel. I don't think he even knows what a three star hotel demands from the travel market, much less a five star. Let's just say, if you are using AAA Diamond ratings which is what the City of Anaheim tax agreement insists be used, a AAA Five Diamond property would be unimaginably ambitious for Disney. There are 118 Five Diamond hotels in North America, and 14 of those are in SoCal. All of those Five Diamond properties in SoCal are LIGHTYEARS beyond anything Disney has ever attempted when it comes to service standards and amenities. http://www.latimes.com/travel/california/la-trb-aaa-five-diamond-hotel-ratings-20160118-story.html

The hotel in the DTD parking lot will only be a Four Diamond property, because that is all that is required for Disney to get the tax rebate for 20 years.

Last summer family stayed three nights on the top 11th floor at the Disneyland Hotel with a killer view of everything. You couldn't see any part of Fantasmic!, not the Mark Twain not the stage not the water, just the tip of the finale fireworks bursting over the buildings and treetops at the end of the show.

The new hotel will be built roughly the same distance away as the Disneyland Hotel's Fantasy Tower, except it will be an even worse view because it's directly west of the stage area instead of to the south. And you've got four lanes of Disneyland Drive, a tram route, a swath of "backstage" area and warehouses, then the Haunted Mansion ride warehouse, then another bank of trees and New Orleans Square to get through until you finally have a shot of seeing the Fantasmic! stage area.

hm.jpg

To get that kind of height to see the crummy side-view of Fantasmic! from that distance, the hotel would need to be at least 15 stories tall, if not taller. And Disney has gone on record as saying the hotel will only have 700 rooms. I imagine the hotel will be five or six stories tall, rather low-slung, with modest amounts of landscaped area around it, and with mediocre 3-Star service from the CM's who will pretend they know how to provide 4-Star service.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

@GiveMeTheMusic Any chance they might extend the Monorail to the new hotel as originally planned for the Westcot expansion? I'm sure it's not a priority or even likely, but that seems like it would be a bigger benefit to guests than a view of the treetops behind NOS.

Phroobar

What if they surprised us and built a hotel into star wars land at the back of the park? It would be hidden in the rockwork and have a private entrance into the park. They would use the M&F structure as hotel parking with a skybridge connecting it. They would probably make it DVC. It won't happen but would be really cool.

LongLiveTheKing

So, picturing this, it would be located pretty much west of Frontierland, right? Maybe this new hotel becomes the Disneyland entry point for EMH and Star Wars Land. A sky bridge would do it.
It'd have to be west of Critter Country since that's the most westward part. Frontierland has both New Orleans Square and CC to the left of it.

LongLiveTheKing

Even if the walkway curves around or has to be enclosed to hide backstage areas I could still see them making a private entrance. It would be another selling point and could help with gust flow. Right now when Fantasmic empties out all guests must exit to the front of the park through all of the parade and firework crowds to exit. An entrance right there would be great for the guests and with an extra off shoot could act as an extra exit to the parking garages at the end of the night.

The other thing about the possible lengthy walk is that it wouldn't be any worse than the Grand Californian's. That is an incredibly short walk to the entrance from the hotel (but rather long in the hotel from the main lobby) and then in the park it's in the middle of nowhere IMO. So even if the DL entrance has a long walk it can't be to bad and it would enter where there are a lot of attractions and near a train station.
This post and the talk of a hotel entrance to Disneyland and the talk of the Grand Californian comparison got me thinking... In between the Haunted Mansion exit and the beginning of Splash Mountain...

New Orleans Square Hotel.

Longhairbear

Any new hotel at Disneyland needs to have a DVC. Those of us that have stopped going to Florida, and have FLA based DVC points to spend are being screwed. Basically because the GF fills fast with only 50 units. We're over spending points on staying at Disneyland hotels using points because we can't get a villa. And Disney doesn't care. We cannot afford the airfare to FLA, nor care to visit FLA until they offer something new, and maintain that property. Flame me as you want, but it is very clear that Disneyland is for the discerning guest, and FLA has become the destination for the masses. Witness the Trader Sam's version in DLR vrs the WDW version.
But California Disney is not all that fabulous for paying guests. Did you know that none of the Disney in California hotel rooms have microwaves? Not even at the upscale Grand California. How does that make it a 4 star hotel???? One can't zap popcorn in room while watching a Disney classic movie.
While Disney can't wait to turn every hotel room into a DVC unit in FLA, the opposite seems to be true in California, and we think they are shooting themselves in the foot.
The cost of our using our DVC membership in California vrs savings we got in the past in FLA may lead to us selling our DVC contract, and staying at the local hotels bordering DLR.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom