NEW HOTEL?

TP2000

Is it really a a few hundred yards of "backstage"? That seems like a lot.

About two thirds of it is backstage. Going by Google Earth, the distance from the eastern edge of the Stitch parking lot to the in-park edge of the Haunted Mansion queue due east of there it is roughly 900 feet. That's 300 yards.

About 100 yards of that is the following; Downtown Disney parking lot landscaping, then four lanes and a landscaped median of Disneyland Drive, then some more landscaping. Then about 200 yards of backstage area due west of New Orleans Square. It's a very tight squeeze between various backstage buildings and the Haunted Mansion ride warehouse and the perimeter of New Orleans Square and its train station. I can't imagine how they would work a straight-shot enclosed walkway in that space, and it would have to be curved or circumvented various directions. That would mean any walkway would be more than the 300 yards it is in a perfectly straight line.

deix15x8

Even if the walkway curves around or has to be enclosed to hide backstage areas I could still see them making a private entrance. It would be another selling point and could help with gust flow. Right now when Fantasmic empties out all guests must exit to the front of the park through all of the parade and firework crowds to exit. An entrance right there would be great for the guests and with an extra off shoot could act as an extra exit to the parking garages at the end of the night.

The other thing about the possible lengthy walk is that it wouldn't be any worse than the Grand Californian's. That is an incredibly short walk to the entrance from the hotel (but rather long in the hotel from the main lobby) and then in the park it's in the middle of nowhere IMO. So even if the DL entrance has a long walk it can't be to bad and it would enter where there are a lot of attractions and near a train station.

Stevek

Here is the site map from the meeting last night. Pretty massive...taking up every parking spot in the DTD area. Looks to be 2-3X the size of the DL hotel property. Laughing place and OCDisney twitter accounts ran a nice live blog last night. Another luxury hotel proposed for the site of the Anabella hotel. Looks very nice as well.

CnOO7pzWIAAgV58.jpg:large

Stevek

Sorry to bump an old-ish thread but Anaheim approved Disney’s tax incentive to build the new hotel.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-million-from-city-to-build-450-a-night-hotel
Interesting that at $450/night it's being called a Luxury Hotel while the Grand Californian is $379 a night and I've seen the DLH hotel at $500/night (we paid it, 9 years ago for my 40th bday). Both of those hotels already have a luxury price in my book, looks like this new one will step it up with luxury amenities to match the price.

GiveMeTheMusic

Here is the site map from the meeting last night. Pretty massive...taking up every parking spot in the DTD area. Looks to be 2-3X the size of the DL hotel property. Laughing place and OCDisney twitter accounts ran a nice live blog last night. Another luxury hotel proposed for the site of the Anabella hotel. Looks very nice as well.

CnOO7pzWIAAgV58.jpg:large

That site map would include a new parking structure to accommodate DTD and the new hotel's parking needs.

Stevek

That site map would include a new parking structure to accommodate DTD and the new hotel's parking needs.
Got it. Makes sense. Wonder where the hotel will actually sit. I seem to remember folks saying it would be where the main DTD lot is now. That accurate?

SSG

Original Poster
It doesn’t seem like there will much of a view in the exterior facing rooms. The streets, DL show buildings and a parking garage, it seems.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
It will only be 7 stories high, I would imagine the trees and distance from the park will obscure a lot but yes, I can't imagine not being able to see any backstage infrastructure.

Its amazing how Disney seems fine with the direct unobstructed views of backstage from the premium theme park views at the Paradise Pier Hotel or even worse from the Grand Villa at the Grand Californian. Higher walls/thicker foliage would help out a lot, even if it does not completely solve the problem.

D

Deleted member 107043

Most of DCA's western backstage areas across from the PP Hotel are literally separated from Disneyland Drive by a row of trees and some ground level landscaping that's maybe 20 feet deep. Given the height of the PP Hotel wouldn't it be impossible to hide those areas from guest's view? Kind of reminds me of all the ugly undecorated rooftops riders looked down on from the Skyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
The roof tops don't bug me as much as the backstage road that is there. You can see performers prepping before going on stage and cast members texting. Theres even a break area visible. The road could easily be obscured by raising the current fencing a little higher, it already covers a part of it.

My room was on the top floor.

truecoat

It will only be 7 stories high, I would imagine the trees and distance from the park will obscure a lot but yes, I can't imagine not being able to see any backstage infrastructure.

Its amazing how Disney seems fine with the direct unobstructed views of backstage from the premium theme park views at the Paradise Pier Hotel or even worse from the Grand Villa at the Grand Californian. Higher walls/thicker foliage would help out a lot, even if it does not completely solve the problem.

Sounds like this hotel will have views of Fantasmic. Which means you'll be able to see the hotel from the park. Not cool at all.

D

Deleted member 107043

Those examples mesh well with the lands they're visible from... sorta. Personally, if I'd been in charge of DLP design, I'd have been leery of the possibility of hotel guests mooning the park goers... or worse... :D

I was hanging out at a pool on a docked cruise ship once that was parked next to another ship with exterior balconies on all of its staterooms. I suddenly noticed a commotion on one side of the pool deck and went to see what was going on. I was shocked to see a rather frisky couple on the ship next to ours having "sexy time" on their balcony! They put on quite the show for the passengers on our ship. :jawdrop:

Phroobar

I was hanging out at a pool on a docked cruise ship once that was parked next to another ship with exterior balconies on all of its staterooms. I suddenly noticed a commotion on one side of the pool deck and went to see what was going on. I was shocked to see a rather frisky couple on the ship next to ours having "sexy time" on their balcony! They put on quite the show for the passengers on our ship. :jawdrop:
Pictures or it didn't happen!

D

Deleted member 107043

Not sure what type of hotel will mesh into the background of NOS.

Well if there will be one visible from the ground in NOS, which is highly unlikely, I'm pretty certain the Imagineers do.

By the way, there was a Disney hotel planned for this location back in the late 1990s, so this is not a new idea. Reposting this image of the Magic Kingdom Hotel as a reference.

03_1991.jpg

Note that this building's profile is much too low to have a clear view into Disneyland Park. Maybe Disney will dust off these old plans, who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom