NEW HOTEL?

SSG

Original Poster
I think it's pretty safe to assume that it will either be themed to something ironically Californian or Disney IP.
If it's between those two choices, I'd rather have Disney IP. 'Ironically Californian' didn't do so great at DCA 1.0. Although a 1930s Hollywood theme could be fun. The lounge could be the South Seas Club from the Rocketeer!

TP2000

There's a dozen great themes to choose from. Disney has stated the concept art is vague on purpose and only created for the early approval process with the city. It's basic art meant only to evoke "fancy upscale hotel" and not anything like what will eventually be built.

That said, I wonder if when this hotel opens in five years they downgrade the Disneyland Hotel to a 3 Diamond property and market it as the Family Moderate Hotel on Disneyland property? As it is, the Disneyland Hotel is only just barely a 4 Diamond property and the CM service there is spotty at best (go try and order a burger from Tangaroa Terrace and see what type of indifferent and unpolished "service" you get from the untrained CM's there). It would be easier for Disney to downgrade the Disneyland Hotel to a lower standard for the last decade or two of its life before they eventually bulldoze that place and start over.

Having a swanky new 4 Diamond hotel nearby would make that transition easier.

Robbiemoo

If it's between those two choices, I'd rather have Disney IP. 'Ironically Californian' didn't do so great at DCA 1.0. Although a 1930s Hollywood theme could be fun. The lounge could be the South Seas Club from the Rocketeer!
I'd love to see this - a south seas club would be great, the hotel could be like the ambassador in Japan. I'd also love to see an Asian hotel themed to a Japanese castle that would be great fun to stay in

Phroobar

As it is, the Disneyland Hotel is only just barely a 4 Diamond property and the CM service there is spotty at best (go try and order a burger from Tangaroa Terrace and see what type of indifferent and unpolished "service" you get from the untrained CM's there).

I noticed that too at the Tangaroia Terrace. The CMs would be talking to each other and barely paying attention to what they were doing. All they had to do with take orders at the cash register and bring the food to the table number. The food was fine though. I didn't see that kind of behavior in other parts of the resort. Even Pizza Port CMs weren't doing that. It felt very Magic Mountain.

D

Deleted member 107043

How about a new Polynesian themed one? LOVE that thought!

I kind of liked the design cohesiveness of the original lodging planned for the "hotel district" along Disneyland Drive back when the DLR expansion was still on the drawing board.

The Westcot Lake Resort was designed to resemble the Beverly Hills Hotel in its heyday.

westcot1_westcothotel.jpg

The Magic Kingdom Hotel, inspired by the Santa Barbara Mission, would have stood where the new hotel is being proposed. Depending on the materials and finishes it might have been a stunning property.

Magic%20Kingdom%20Hotel.jpg

Personally I'd prefer Disney go this route at the DLR and leave the kitsch to the developers over on Harbor.

jbradway

Not that I wouldn't mind a nice affordable Disney hotel. But exactly what incentive would they have to look at finding ways to charge less with a moderate hotel? I can't see them using any of their valuable property for anything less than top dollar. Not until their high end rooms see a decline in occupancy rate. If anything, they are foolish for not already having more rooms to take advantage of this already.

SSG

Original Poster
Not that I wouldn't mind a nice affordable Disney hotel. But exactly what incentive would they have to look at finding ways to charge less with a moderate hotel? I can't see them using any of their valuable property for anything less than top dollar. Not until their high end rooms see a decline in occupancy rate. If anything, they are foolish for not already having more rooms to take advantage of this already.

Yup, no incentive at all. Why would Disney build a value priced hotel when the likes of Embassy Suites and Travelodge are right outside the resort and going for $150 a night. Stating the obvious here, but the local hotels fill the value role, leaving Disney to rope in more of the higher end market. Makes perfect sense.

I know; Horrible, Greedy Disney.

Stevek

I kind of liked the design cohesiveness of the original lodging planned for the "hotel district" along Disneyland Drive back when the DLR expansion was still on the drawing board.

The Westcot Lake Resort was designed to resemble the Beverly Hills Hotel in its heyday.

westcot1_westcothotel.jpg

The Magic Kingdom Hotel, inspired by the Santa Barbara Mission, would have stood where the new hotel is being proposed. Depending on the materials and finishes it might have been a stunning property.

Magic%20Kingdom%20Hotel.jpg

Personally I'd prefer Disney go this route at the DLR and leave the kitsch to the developers over on Harbor.
Totally agree. This would be amazeballs.

Daannzzz

I am hoping for something like these. A bit of t a theme but not too over the top Disneyfied. I wish there was a bit more imagination in the other hotels being built around the area.

Attachments

• DSC05698-707p.jpg
    DSC05698-707p.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 84
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 71

mickEblu

I would like to see Disney's take on a modern hotel meets the tropical theme. Like a 2020 version of the Mirage in Vegas. (The Mirage was great in the 90s)

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, probably my favorite of the Victorian Disney hotels that I've stayed in. It's luxourious but doesn't feel so formal (like GF).

D

Deleted member 107043

I am hoping for something like these. A bit of t a theme but not too over the top Disneyfied. I wish there was a bit more imagination in the other hotels being built around the area.

I'm sorry but the first one (Tokyo Disneyland Hotel?) is probably one of the ugliest hotels Disney has ever built IMO. It reminds me of the Venetian in Vegas, and that is not a compliment.

WEDwaydatamover

I would love to see a DL original take on WDW's Polynesian. You can't build out but you can build up and I certainly believe in TDA more than Team BO... Sorry Team DO!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom