1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Holiday Offerings for Disney's Hollywood Studios Announced

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by epcot82fan, Sep 7, 2017.

1. RichKermitFan

RichKermitFan Member

For the record, they aren't building a projector platform. They are expanding the restrooms there and the current structure will be another small stone tower like the one next to it.

2. *Q*

*Q* Well-Known Member

I would not consider this as a replacement for the Osborne Lights by any stretch of the imagination.

Smooth, Po'Rich, Sped2424 and 11 others like this.
  3. Herbie

Herbie Well-Known Member

Why ruin a good thing? Really?

Derrit likes this.
  4. Sped2424

Sped2424 Well-Known Member

Do the tree of life awakenings ruin the tree of life? If done correctly and discreetly you could up the ambience imo. Projected lightning effects bleeding out of the elevators or signage every 5 or so minutes would be cool.

5. YodaMan

YodaMan Well-Known Member

^this. It doesn't have to be tacky. It could be used for something cool like the occasional projected lightning strike. Or they could have a dark ominous shadow pass over the building.

Fantasmicguy, Sped2424 and Kman101 like this.
  6. celluloid

celluloid Well-Known Member

Particularly if the spark comes back and synched with that.

Fantasmicguy likes this.
  7. matt9112

matt9112 Well-Known Member

was a nice touch.
    wonder what Theme the projector is going to be. more like sunset or more of a touch of TOT?

8. CJR

CJR Well-Known Member

Agreed. Actual Christmas lights > projection show.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see them adding more holiday entertainment. But, this isn't a true replacement for the lights.

Po'Rich, Derrit, *Q* and 1 other person like this.
  9. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

Not a popular opinion, but, there were too many lights in the Osborne light show. It was just a blur. It's not all that creative to just, literally, cover every square inch of a building with strings of light. I liked it OK, but, once and done did it for me.

10. RSoxNo1

RSoxNo1 Well-Known Member

I said it last year and I'll say it again. The projection mapping is a great effect, but they have certainly fell in love with it. I think they're nearing the point of saturation and there's much more of this already in development.

Fantasmicguy and Derrit like this.
  11. NearTheEars

NearTheEars Well-Known Member

You are correct. Definitely not a popular opinion.

12. Casper Gutman

Casper Gutman Well-Known Member

Projection mapping is like screens in rides - it should be a tool used to create and deepen an overall effect, not the entire attraction unto themselves. They're accents, embellishments. My favorite use of projection mapping remains Uni's use of them to make New York seem to be decaying and crumbling during HHN. It's a great, atmospheric element. The suggestions above about how to make ToT spookier would also be great.

I have to believe projection shows and screen rides have a very limited shelf life - they'll get old quick.

Fantasmicguy, WDWTank and RSoxNo1 like this.
  13. Herbie

Herbie Well-Known Member

I really don't think that (or what the user posted underneath you) is what they're going to go for though.

14. ohioguy

ohioguy Member

Looks like something extra to draw people to the park (for free!). This may be a necessity given that the Studios are operating on only 5 attractions right now. Really, too many closures all at once and nothing to replace them. We all know this is going to change hard and fast once SW and TS lands are up and running.

Fantasmicguy likes this.
  15. Po'Rich

Po'Rich Well-Known Member

The creativity came with the synchronicity of the lights. It's not like they were just static.

Fantasmicguy likes this.
  16. Goofyernmost

I can live with that. :angelic:

SteveAZee likes this.
  17. Goofyernmost

I know that... but, there is such a thing as overkill. Those synchronic sections were fine, just too many of them doing the same thing. Someone earlier used the word "tacky", that applies here. There really is a point where less is more, in my opinion.

18. Po'Rich

Well, we definitely have less now, don't we? ;)

19. Goofyernmost

True, but, it didn't have anything to do with lights or the number used. In my mind, a permanent, impressive, and year round land, outweighs the temporary, two month show every year that left the buildings on the SOA with highly visible black lines crisscrossing them for months, during the day, before and time after the season. It was impressive to see once, after that it was basically the same thing year after year. I'm predicting that there will be upcoming impressive light displays being originated by Disney, like the decorated Castle in MK, but, will be scattered around in all four parks.

20. Po'Rich

I hope you're right. My first visit was Christmas 2012. I returned at Christmas 2015. Between the two, it just seemed like a subtraction of Christmas offerings.

Fantasmicguy and Derrit like this.