New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

jt04

I am guessing the will be a version of a Mummy coaster on steroids.

Or at least that is what I would build.

Bairstow

One big downside no one's brought up yet is that this will be a significant blow to park capacity. One B&M invert running three trains can accommodate nearly 1,700 guests an hour, and the Dragons were two of them. No matter what Universal puts in their place, it won't be anywhere near the maneaters they were together.

HenryMystic

I must say, considering they are closing Dragon's Challenge on Sept 4th, even if they open late 2019 (which is likely when Star Wars Land will open), to remove the current attraction and build a new attraction all within ~2 years sounds very ambitious...

They did Transformers in 11 months from start of demolition to cast members previews. So they have built at an impressive speed before.

Transformers was also built inside a big box and was nearly a replica of Spiderman.
Facts are pesky things, but Jaws closed on January 2, 2012 and Diagon Alley opened (officially) in July 2014. Site work to replace Jaws was more work than this will be. 2 years should be sufficient.

JoeCamel

If universal does what I expect them to- and that is incorporate more shops and expanding Hogsmeade further, then it might not be an apples-apples ride capacity comparison as the area will hold more. Say a shrieking shack "knockturn alley" is in the area with spells, etc. Or an expanded viewing area for the projection show.
All would add capacity. Although it will still likely be a net loss.

Unfortunately, with all things potter related- expansion means incredible attendance growth- so we're going to feel it pretty hard.
Gotta fill those new hotel rooms and anything with "Potter" in the name will do it.

bclane

I love Dragon Challenge for its smooth, relentless power and usually ride it at least a couple times a month (even on a bad month). Granted it isn't what it used to be and has gotten gradually rougher as the years have gone by (what roller coaster doesn't do this?) but it was always a favorite of mine since my first ride so many years ago and I have to admit this news makes me more than a little sad. I wish this was an add instead of a replace but at the same time I can't wait to see what gift Universal brings us. No doubt it will be over the top fantastic.

Tom Morrow

Yeah and it feels like it!
Went on this ride last weekend for the first time.
It felt like everything they did right with Spiderman was not carried over here. I mean how long does it take to paint grey halls and put red sirens up? This ride was also a jumbled mess. I didn't know what the heck was going on!
That was my first reaction to Transformers, but I've come to like it just as much - if not more - than Spider-Man.

Rob562

Wasn't there a a rumor this might be themed around "Fantastic Beasts" era?

Gotta say I am pretty excited for this, those coasters stick out so bad there.

I thought I'd reach somewhere a Floo Network ride was being considered. There was also that patent involving a room with a fireplace moving with a ride car...

-Rob

imperius

The small descriptions and some of the previous statements from insiders make it seem it will be physical with maybe screen help.

imperius

So. Gringotts. I hope at least 75% of the ride is fast and physical.
Too many conflicting opinions on ride vehicles from OU. Was the inverted Mack but that doesn't seem itthen Screamscape said a bike with side car like Hagrids and that went over well, so who knows. Was other info that Universal and Creature Tech got back together again and some though for the JP refurb possibly, it could be for AAs for this.
It will be Forbidden Forrest though.

21stamps

I'm so sad!!! I've probably been on this over 100 times...hands down my favorite ride in Orlando.. even if I haven't been on it since 2009.lol

But, hopefully the new one will be something spectacular, and truly different from anything at amusement parks currently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom