News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Brad Bishop

Hmm, too bad that it seems a little convoluted to get from Epcot to the Studios.

It depends. The boats are still there so maybe a primary Epcot-DHS link wasn't a priority.

Also, it's possible that this is the start of a larger gondola network which is more motel/hotel based. CBR is their largest resort so getting people from there (and Pop Century) to Epcot/DHS is a pretty good first step.

Absolutely guessing on this, though. With regards to the thoughts that it wouldn't work in the FL heat: Yeah, I'd bet they'd use more modern, large capacity gondolas with A/C. It'd be silly to build a theme park attraction style ride for this.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
One potential concern I had about such a system was the speed of the gondolas. The Emirates Air Line (the London Gondolas) travel at 6 m/s (~13 mph). Considering that most of the buses travel almost double that and the monorail travels at triple that speed, my concern was if it would just be faster to take the bus. However (using Google maps) I measured the distances between each of the points on the system and even if the gondolas are only moving at 6 m/s (which is certainly not the fastest that these systems can go), the time between all of the points is quite quick. Assuming there is minimal time in each station as the car traverses the system and assuming the speed is constant (which it should be given the nature of the system), one could conceivably get from Hollywood Studios to EPCOT (even with it's convoluted path) in a little over 10 minutes and while that may not seem like a super fast transit time, if you consider the possibility of a gondola being ready to take you every minute or so (as opposed to waiting 15-20 minutes for a bus) there could certainly be a fair amount of time savings available:

Distance:
AoA/Pop to Hub: ~500 m: 1 minute 23 seconds
Hub to Hollywood Studios: ~1.1 km: 3 minutes 3 seconds
Hub to CBR: ~775 m: 2 minutes 9 seconds
CBR to Boardwalk: ~1.0 km: 2 minutes 47 seconds
Boardwalk to EPCOT: 750 m: 2 minutes 5 seconds

olie64

@danlb_2000 I know this is a long shot, but I wonder if the new terminal being constructed over at the AK bus station will tie in with this aerial transport system?

That could make sense. It always seemed like AKL need a better way to get to AK to begin with. How fast do these thing go? I have ever been on one or seen one in action.

Edit: I saw this was answered above.

hpyhnt 1000

Interesting development - kudos to everyone for spotting it and making deductions!

Definitely a unique and "niche" transportation system. While it doesn't completely resolve the need for buses from these resorts, any additional connection between the resorts and theme parks is welcome. And I must say - it's great to see the folks at WDW actively pursuing new transportation options, because we all know the resort needs them.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
They certainly picked a good starting point given how many parks/hotels are packed together in this area. It allows for maximum impact with minimal building (i.e. minimal investment). Have to wonder if this is a Phase I/pilot test to see how the system could work before rolling it out to connect much more of the resort. Connections to Coronado (with eventual connections to AK/AKL and Blizzard Beach/All Star) and Old Key West (with eventual connections to Typhoon Lagoon/Disney Springs and Port Orleans) could all branch off this system connecting a HUGE portion of the properties on the resort.

Interesting to note, with the exceptions of the Seven Seas Lagoon monorail resorts, I believe this will be the first time guests will be able to get transportation directly between resorts (without having to use a park as a hub).

Princess Leia

Thank you to those who have posted pictures of gondolas, because I was definitely picturing these:
gondolas.jpg

And I was trying to figure out how Disney was planning to move mass amounts of people in these tiny boats.

Last edited:

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Something I probably won't use, but I think it is cool. I wonder though how it could move large masses of people though.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The problem with connecting DAK park to AKL hotel would be the view of the back of Pandora.

The proposed pathway (on the first page of this thread) would go right over the backstage area of World Showcase and if you look on Google Maps, the areas behind the France and Morocco buildings certainly aren't the most "magical" things to look at. I'm not sure seeing the back of Pandora would be a deal breaker. (personal opinion only, of course)

Bocabear

I would gladly look at backstage areas to avoid a bus... Remember the old Skyway looked at the unthemed roofs of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland... There was plenty unmagical to see, but it was still lovely...
Besides, the back of Everest is also in plain view, I think they are more concerned about what you see while in the park... not traveling past..

Jon81uk

The proposed pathway (on the first page of this thread) would go right over the backstage area of World Showcase and if you look on Google Maps, the areas behind the France and Morocco buildings certainly aren't the most "magical" things to look at. I'm not sure seeing the back of Pandora would be a deal breaker. (personal opinion only, of course)

For me I think there is something different about seeing the back of rockwork facades rather than building facades. But yes there probably is a lot of other places that would be visible from the new cable car.

surfsupdon

It's a great idea, but I would hate to see the price point as these Resorts ridiculously increase.

Over at Universal, they have Moderate and Value style locations that are a quick bus, boat, and walk from the main areas! Disney's are not. So it would be cool if the resorts stayed in their tier, but offered much better transportation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom