1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gondola Transportation

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, Feb 14, 2017.

1. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

I know.

2. Movielover

Movielover Well-Known Member

Well we were landing, and we were in the middle of the storm so...

3. GCTales

GCTales Well-Known Member

I would anticipate that if the gondolas were expected to be down for more than... Say 30 minutes or more, they would start to divert busses....

If it is only down for 20 minutes, it would be less than the walk to the front of EPCOT an a normal bus wait. Similar situation for DHS.

With how fast the afternoon storms pass, I don't see the gondolas being down for an hour or longer.

I see maybe 15 minutes.. Then back open.

Then again, I am not looking for excuses why this will not work.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 at 7:26 AM
    jt04, brb1006, raymusiccity and 3 others like this.
  4. Minthorne

Minthorne Well-Known Member

Gondolas are an attempt to reduce attendance; either you won't go because you don't want to ride in one or you do go and you are trimmed from the count by the constant lightning strikes.

5. mmascari

mmascari Member

That's exactly what I was going to post. It's all a matter of how long service will be down.
    • Down for less than 2 minutes because someone royally screwed up loading and tripped an emergency stop (rare), no buses.
    • Down for 15 minutes for whatever reason, no buses.
    • Down for 30 minutes for whatever reason, no buses.
    • Projected to be down for more than 2 hours, buses diverted from other routes to cover.
    Somewhere between 30 minutes and 2 hours it's interesting. The projected downtime needs to be serve enough to take the trouble to mess up other routes and divert buses. And also long enough to be worth the wait for a bus. Since it's easy to wait 20 minutes for a bus, the downtime would need to be projected at at least that long if not double or triple that.

For just a 20 minute downtime, say a storm, no need to replace with a bus that's going to take 20 minutes to show up anyway. Waiting for service to resume is just as fast as waiting for a bus to show up.

6. DisneyJeff

DisneyJeff Well-Known Member

Also remember that the Epcot bus depot is nowhere near the Epcot Gondola station. I would say it would be at least a 15 minute walk. It would be easier if they ran busses from the Beach Club to Riviera/CBR and POP/AOA.

Kamikaze likes this.
  7. Gatorboy

Gatorboy Premium Member

Is it me or is this thread getting more ridiculous, yet somehow I'm drawn right back to read it

8. TeriofTerror

TeriofTerror Well-Known Member

I'm sorry; what?

9. NormC

NormC Well-Known Member

10. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

Leaving DHS last week to go back to the Swolphin a nearby storm kept the Ferries from running, and lo and behold, there were buses from DHS to the Crescent Lake resorts that suddenly appeared.

11. Grimley1968

Grimley1968 Well-Known Member

Any other recent photos of gondola station work being done?

12. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

That is the way they roll.

13. Rteetz

Rteetz Well-Known Member

Well considering the hurricane stopped construction for a couple days I am sure not too much has changed since the last update.

MisterPenguin likes this.
  14. raymusiccity

raymusiccity Well-Known Member

'Oh, the humanity!' ....a 15 minute walk :eek: ..... Guests pay a premium to be a 15 minute walk to the Magic Kingdom.

CanadianGordon likes this.
  15. Grimley1968

Grimley1968 Well-Known Member

I would consider anything taken within the last couple of weeks as "recent", not counting what has already been posted on here.

GlacierGlacier likes this.
  16. DisneyJeff

DisneyJeff Well-Known Member

I was only stating the time/distance as part of a discussion regarding the shutdown of the gondola system. (Which will hardly ever happen.)

If a family gets of Spaceship Earth and decide they want to head back to Pop Century, their only option would be to take the gondola. So they have to walk through all of FW and dodge all the drunks in WS ;) to get to the International Gateway. If they are then told that the gondola is closed and that they will have to take a bus from the front of Epcot, they are going to be pretty upset.

17. Just4Pics

Just4Pics Well-Known Member

I'm sorry @Lift Blog that was too rational an answer. We were looking for "The towers will definitely collapse and thousands of people will die...unless they add air conditioning to the cars, then everything will be fine."

18. GCTales

GCTales Well-Known Member

If they are at spaceship earth and want to go to the IG they only have to pass Canada and UK, not walk past the entire showcase and around the entire lagoon, unless they choose the 15 min walk around it....

19. allgiggles

allgiggles Well-Known Member

The direct route is still about a half mile walk from Spaceship Earth to the IG...so about a 15 minute walk for most people (at least those who are walking at a leisurely pace). Then to find out that the Gondola's aren't running means backtracking to the front of the park and getting to the bus stops --- so about 1.25 miles for the total trip. I wouldn't be happy if it happened to me. But I'd also probably just grab a boat from the IG to DHS and take a bus back to my resort from there as that would require far less walking.

I'll wait to see how often the gondola has to stop running for bad weather before I get worried about it. I just don't see it happening very often and when it does, it will be for such a short amount of time that it will be easier/faster to just wait out the storm and use the gondola when it starts running again than to walk to a bus stop and wait for a bus. Maybe Disney will add something to MDE that lets you know that the Gondola isn't running and bus service is available...though I have little faith in that happening.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 at 1:39 PM
  20. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Everyone said I was daft to build a gondola in a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up.