1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gondola Transportation

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Movielover

Movielover Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, I was flying in a lighting storm once and was spectacularly beautiful!

Just4Pics, tl77 and plutofan15 like this.
  2. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

Wise pilots avoid flying "in" lightning storms, since they're usually associated with thunderstorms. Flying around/between is generally accepted as a "best practice" as long as they can stay out from under the anvils.

3. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

Wait... I accepted that they would not have regular service buses to those resorts, but, are you saying that if there is a sustained storm that puts the Gondola's on hold, that guests are stranded wherever they are and can only get from their resort or to their resort by paying someone extra to cart them there? (Sorry for the run on question) Even though no one anticipates that a shut down will be a common happening, doesn't that create a very bad situation. Did you word that wrong? If you didn't I cannot imagine a more short sighted plan ever. Also isn't there a certain amount of sustained walking to the Gondola's from the resort, or to the Gondola's? How happy will guests be if they are caught having to walk a distance in the rain? Having umbrella's and/or poncho's will not matter to a person paying high prices for a Disney Resort will they? Oh, well... just another happy reason why I would never again stay onsite. If I'm going to be inconvenienced to that degree, I will need the saved dollar bills to used as a cover to get through the rain.

4. Monorail_Orange

Monorail_Orange Well-Known Member

I think this is part of where a lot of us are tainted by our memory of the MK Skyway and its need to shut down in virtually any "inclement" weather. This new gondola system would close for weather pretty infrequently, based upon the comments here by @Lift Blog , and others. It may be quite possible (and safe) to operate this system through most FL thunderstorms. Of course, if all that is incorrect, then much like with watercraft, bus alternatives will need to be available when the gondolas cannot operate, if not, I forsee Guest Relations comping some Minnie Van rides to some VERY unhappy guests. Especially since they will already being paying a premium, according to @WDW1974 , for the privilege of staying at a "Gondola resort."

5. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Original Poster Premium Member

Yes, you did read what I was saying correctly. Considering how common and random storms are in Florida I can't see them keeping buses and drivers on standby in case of a storm.

6. Goofyernmost

Oh, I agree with that completely. No place would keep drivers and buses on standby other then a special planned event. The way it was worded though you made is sound like they wouldn't even divert buses to get those people out of the storm and back in the resort. I also don't believe it is going to be anything that is ever going to be a regular need anyway. There will be breakdowns and there will be times when the wind is strong enough to make it a real adventure to ride in a Gondola that is slanting out at a 45 degree angle. Those times they will employ the equipment that they have to take the limited number of guests to or from the resorts. What I have accepted is that there won't be a regular reduced number of buses on a regular basis, but, demand my just change that, we will see. The Monorail resorts have alternative boat transportation. These will not have that option.

7. Goofyernmost

Just what I said on the last page.

8. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

It is impossible they won't provide transportation no matter what you might be hearing. There would be chaos.

9. danlb_2000

So how exactly do you see that working? Disney will have dozens of busses and drivers just sitting around waiting until a storm comes along that requires the line to be shut down?

SteveAZee likes this.
  10. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

I think they will create flex schedules or overlapping schedules during the summer afternoons.

In time busses will be driver-less so that is also a solution.

11. danlb_2000

Still means having extra buses and drivers ready for a good numbers of hours a day, I just don't see them putting out the money to do that.

I also don't know how much driverless busses will save. You still have the cost of the buses and maintenance, and if there are no drivers they would probably need to always have staff at the bus stops.

Sped2424 likes this.
  12. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

I just know they can't leave guests without a transportation option. It will be interesting.

13. danlb_2000

There will be plenty of options. Take a bus to another destination and transfer, mini-van, cab, uber, or wait for the gondola to start back up.

raymusiccity, SteveAZee and jt04 like this.
  14. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

Riviera needs a tunnel to WS. :)

jaklgreen, jmuboy and GoofGoof like this.
  15. GoofGoof

GoofGoof Well-Known Member

I can only see them bringing in busses if the system is down for maintenance issues and will be down for a long while. That's what they do with the monorail.

16. tl77

tl77 Well-Known Member

I've been on a plane in a storm once too, and while it was so intriguing that I video taped it out the window... it was a little nerve-wracking as well, I prefer "lighting-free plane rides"

17. tl77

tl77 Well-Known Member

might be faster to walk

raymusiccity likes this.
  18. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

Disney uses dynamic bus routing anyways... they could pull 3-5 buses out of rotation elsewhere on demand. There is no need to beat this to death. They can do EITHER... with just the whim of the transportation director. The buses would be taken from other routes in less demand at that time of day. This isn't prepping for nuclear war.

19. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

There won't be busses on standby. I didn't hear it.

20. Next Big Thing

Next Big Thing Well-Known Member

Sure buses won't be on "Stand-by", but I find it incredibly unlikely that they won't provide buses if/when the Gondolas go down. They may try to get away with it when the system first goes up, but I can guarantee it won't work.

jt04 likes this.