1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gondola Transportation

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, Feb 14, 2017.

1. raymusiccity

raymusiccity Well-Known Member

IMG_2197.JPG

cspencer96 likes this.
  2. tl77

tl77 Well-Known Member

They used to shut down the Magic Kingdom's Skyway during lighting storms ...but if you want to ride the new gonadal during the daily lighting storms feel free, I just think a lot of people will opt for the bus instead of riding this thing they're spending millions on during the daily lighting storms

3. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

Skyway was closed down because they were wide open gondolas. Sideways rain and even regular hard rain would have rendered everyone on board completely soaked. Because they were open they couldn't be grounded properly, enclosed ones can be, I'm sure.

Just4Pics and SteveAZee like this.
  4. tl77

tl77 Well-Known Member

That's great, but I for one wouldn't want to be up in the air in a tiny box during a lighting storm, and I have a feeling I'm not the only person who'd feel that way

5. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

You ride in cars during a lightning storm, you fly in airplanes during lightning storms, you stay in tall buildings during lightning storms. What is the difference. Disney and the manufacturers they are using are not idiots. If they are not grounded properly, the lawsuits would put everyone except lawyers out of a job. It seem like being suspended on a cable during a storm is dangerous, but, it is probably less dangerous then standing on the ground.

It is the same mindset that is so prevalent in the often heard argument about flying vs. driving. People are afraid of flying, yet more people die on the highways every single day that an entire year of air travel. If someone wants to call you home... your going no matter where you are at the time. You don't need reservations.

6. Monorail_Orange

Monorail_Orange Well-Known Member

It's been said time and time again in this thread that regular bus service will not exist between these resorts and parks when the system is completed. Obviously, if the system is down for any significant period of time, for any reason, including a storm that it would be unsafe to operate in, then bus service would be offered. Other than that, you would have to drive your own vehicle/rental car to the park from these resorts.

Bender123 likes this.
  7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Well-Known Member

There will be no bus to opt for. If you want to go from any of the four Skyliner resorts to either of the two Skyliner theme parks, you will need to take a gondola. There will not be a bus option. If you brought your own transportation to the resort, you could obviously take that. You could also choose to hire a Minnie van, cab, Uber or Lyft out of your own pocket.

Pumbaa1222 and Bender123 like this.
  8. Bender123

Bender123 Well-Known Member

I am shocked people would think bus would be an option with so many resorts showing bus transport goes away...

There is no bus option from the monorail resorts to MK or Epcot, there is no bus option from Boardwalk/BC/YC to Epcot front door or Studios.

The first thing that will happen is bus service gets axed.

Just4Pics likes this.
  9. tl77

tl77 Well-Known Member

Do people "like" flying in planes during lighting storms though? that's what I'm saying

10. tl77

tl77 Well-Known Member

If the Skyliner is the only way to get from those resorts to those parks, then I would never stay at any of those resorts

11. Bender123

Take a bus to MK, then take the monorail to Epcot...

Just4Pics likes this.
  12. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

Wrong. They will have busses on stand-by.

13. Bender123

Just as they do now for monorail resorts. Just don't expect "standard" bus service. Just like the Poly and a broken monorail and the "Resort Monorail" bus...you will now get a "Skyliner" bus.

Pumbaa1222 and jt04 like this.
  14. Kamikaze

Those aren't buses just sitting around, though. They are buses that have to be rerouted from other things to take the passengers. There aren't just bus drivers sitting around waiting for the monorail (or Skyliner) to break down so they can swoop in and save the day.

This won't be stopped/breaking down often enough for this to matter.

njDizFan, mmascari, SteveAZee and 3 others like this.
  15. Kamikaze

Fine with me.

TiggerDad and Movielover like this.
  16. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

Uh, I don't think I want to ride that, lightning or not...

17. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Original Poster Premium Member

Where did here this, because @marni1971 has said the current plan is no busses from these resorts, and they will not put busses into service when they shut the gondola down for a storm.

18. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Wrong.

19. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Amazing how someone who insisted this isn’t a gondola is now insisting this won’t work.

20. Bender123

Why would they? I would guess it would only happen if there was a mechanical issue or outage that would cause an extended downtime.

Don't these gondolas run fine in lightning anyway? They are naturally grounded, so I don't know why there would be an issue...