News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's a little over a mile using the roads. They may be able to cut it down to less than a mile if they cut a more direct route from point A to point B.

Just a hair over one mile if they made a shortcut...

upload_2017-8-21_0-43-27.png

The walk from DHS gate to Epcot's IG is a tenth of a mile longer.

surfsupdon

i think one of the best underrated facets of this is that all those guests are being dropped off in WS...less stress on main gate.

But the added stress at IG has me worried. Always so peaceful, quiet, and stress free.

But the benefit would be easier access to the BoardWalk and its dying entertainment venues...so that would be cool, especially for late night.

Kamikaze

But the added stress at IG has me worried. Always so peaceful, quiet, and stress free.

I don't think it will be an issue. Because you're hitting security before you board the gondola, no stress there, and the actual 'gates' are very low stress these days due to MagicBands anyway. They will probably pull the gates out a little and add a couple more tapstiles, but they never have all of them running at IG anyway.

jhendrix

Just a hair over one mile if they made a shortcut...

View attachment 224045

The walk from DHS gate to Epcot's IG is a tenth of a mile longer.
That would be a fairly significant distance considering there would be nothing in between. At least from DHS to Epcot, you have three-four resorts to look at on your way. AK to AKL would be a pretty boring walk. Not impossible by any means but just boring.

Why did Disney build AKL so far from AK in the first place?

Lift Blog

Today was total eclipse day. We pre-sold tickets for our new Doppelmayr gondola that does not normally operate in the summer. Some 800 eclipse watchers (read: not skiers or experienced gondola riders with lots of luggage) lined up pre-dawn to catch a ride. We began boarding at 8:00, and the entire line was gone by 8:22. Same thing on the way down. Total of nine hours run time with only one stop. Every day I am impressed by these machines.

jt04

It's a little over a mile using the roads. They may be able to cut it down to less than a mile if they cut a more direct route from point A to point B.

Unless the add an automated people moving parallel system I doubt they will add such a pathway.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unless the add an automated people moving parallel system I doubt they will add such a pathway.
Not likely. A path is simple and cheap (just initial cost plus some lighting) but I don't know if there would be enough demand to justify building it. If it's a mile long path it should take the average person around 20 minutes to walk it. That's not saving much time over the bus. It may be popular for joggers/runners too.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Not likely. A path is simple and cheap (just initial cost plus some lighting) but I don't know if there would be enough demand to justify building it. If it's a mile long path it should take the average person around 20 minutes to walk it. That's not saving much time over the bus. It may be popular for joggers/runners too.
But where would you put the aircon and cupcake stalls? And would you be able to walk it during thunderstorms ?

Minthorne

That would be a good place for a trial run of the autonomous vehicles they are looking into. They would just need to make dedicated lanes and it's a short distance without crossing any highways or making turns in traffic.

Yes and I think there were some hints at one point of some other type of transportation connection here. Light rail seems like it might be overkill. It does seem a prime candidate - I think it would be a great replacement for buses for this route. And there could be a walk/jog path next to the road (with a high enough barrier like the railing along the water for the walkway to DHS behind Boardwalk.

jt04

Yes, I believe if they do anything it will be with replacing the busses in mind. Otherwise I don't see them bothering. Just like there is the option to walk or take a boat from DHS to Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom