News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Monorail_Orange

Because it has lead to numerous angry arguments already.
That, and it's been discussed to the point of oblivion. Disney has reportedly opted for design forgoing it. I think the real questions now revolve around system capacity and everything associated, including actual travel times, as well as actual construction progressing. Thanks to some good sleuthing by several members, we definitely have ballpark numbers on almost all of this, and even now some reporting on construction, including tree removal from one of the "right-of-way's."

Dapper Dan

They are probably not doing a direct line since there is already an alternate form of transportation between the two parks, they are focusing on resort to park, not park to park. Even with the indirect route, the gondola should be about the same time if not less then the boat, unless it's really busy at the transfer station.
The alternative isn't direct either. It's just odd to me that they have no direct park to park transportation other than the buses or dropping $20 on a Minnie Van.

Notes from Neverland

Walking is slower than the boats, at least in my experience.. but not by much. We left DHS at the same time as a boat (and we walk fairly quickly) and we ran into it coming back from epcot at about the inlet to y/b.

Interesting. I've beaten it on several occasions. I suppose it depends on how long it stops at each resort before moving on.

Monorail_Orange

Walking is slower than the boats, at least in my experience.. but not by much. We left DHS at the same time as a boat (and we walk fairly quickly) and we ran into it coming back from epcot at about the inlet to y/b.
Not being snarky; are you sure it was the same Friendship boat, many have similar color schemes and are difficult to distinguish. My own experience is that you can beat the boat by walking due to the station stops; but interestingly, like you said, not by a whole lot. Admittedly, it would depend a lot on your maintained pace while walking.

The Mom

Premium Member
That, and it's been discussed to the point of oblivion. Disney has reportedly opted for design forgoing it. I think the real questions now revolve around system capacity and everything associated, including actual travel times, as well as actual construction progressing. Thanks to some good sleuthing by several members, we definitely have ballpark numbers on almost all of this, and even now some reporting on construction, including tree removal from one of the "right-of-way's."

Exactly. It's become a constant "People need A/C!" "No, they don't!" "Yes they do!" And on forever, with both sides giving reasons why they are right and the other is wrong. :rolleyes:

Monorail_Orange

The gondola system will also avoid park security.. you will clear the checks before you enter the transpo system.
I think it's likely the same would apply to the boats. Walkers between the two parks are probably still going to have to go back through security at the opposite end. But good point about the gondolas remaining behind security. The only "disadvantage" that remains unsettled as far as travel time would be the CBR transfer station, and just how the Riviera station is managed (true transfer to separate line or same line with a boarding/deboarding station mid-line).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ok, so, it looks like if I am at Epcot, and would like a quick straight line transport to Hollywood, these are not the gondolas for me? I feel like with all the stops it has to make, the bus would be a much better option, heck even the boat seems better. I don't like the no AC/ heat and am just envisioning people pressed in a claustrophobia's nightmare.

Posted previously, but relevant...

Between boat, gondola, and bus, the fastest way to go between Epcot and DHS is on foot.

Bartattack

The boat is about 20 minutes with the stops, so it will depend on how long you have to wait at the transfer station. I have also edited my post saying the gondola should be as fast if not faster then the boat.

Last year when I was at WDW I actually timed how long it took to get from Studios to Epcot by boat. From the moment we left the Studios dock till we stopped at Epcot it was 27 minutes. So yeah, gondolas should definitely be faster.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Last year when I was at WDW I actually timed how long it took to get from Studios to Epcot by boat. From the moment we left the Studios dock till we stopped at Epcot it was 27 minutes. So yeah, gondolas should definitely be faster.

The skipper announced it would be 25 minutes... I'm gonna complain to customer service!!!!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

That time will vary depending on how long it has to wait at each dock to load/unload.

cosmicgirl

I am leaning towards 2019 for this to open. The 2018 date for AOA appears to be when the station structure will be complete, but equipment install may be in another permit. Disney may be waiting until winter 2018 to have Doppelmayr do their work since they won't have as much ski-resort work at that time. I have no confirmation of that, just speculation. The expiration dates on the construction notices give a pretty solid idea of when the work under the permit will need to be complete by, but it's not always clear what is included in the permit.

As for the CBR notice, that is probably just in reference to the work going on around Centertown. The gondola station is in a empty area so it they might not be including that in the date.

Good point about the off-season for Doppelmayr, I hadn't taken that into consideration.
I guess I'm just hoping for it to become operational by the time we go next year, as this would be a reason to stay at CBR instead of CSR. It would be nice if it coincided with the reopening of Centertown, although the downside is that all CBR rooms would suddenly become preferred in one way or another: close to Centertown or close to transportation.

Kamikaze

Depends on how fast you walk :)

When I do that walk, I pass the boat well before it makes its first stop, and once it has to dock you're going to be way ahead of it from then on.

Cmdr_Crimson

My one and only fear is someone rocking the gondola. I don't think I'd like that.

Don't Rock It!

There could be an Anti-Rocking system that could trigger and shut it down until it stops or loud irratating beeping indicating jerks who do that kind of stuff *Cough* Tour Groups *Cough*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom