News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Creathir

Yes, tests for passenger comfort.
I personally am skeptical about true comfort level inside these in the summer, but obviously we will see.

I do trust their judgement, and I'm sure if it had been somewhat reasonable price/performance wise they would have added A/C.

I guess my only comment on it is that Disney is obviously shifting the product to a much more premium offering (or at least appears to be trying to with various other initiatives) and the lack of AC in their latest transportation offering does not scream "premium".

CaptainAmerica

Serious question for those who insist this needs AC. Do you feel uncomfortable on the Peoplemover in July? How about the Walt Disney World Railroad? Jungle Cruise? Liberty Square Riverboat? I don't see much difference. It's not going to be a hermetically sealed glass box, there's going to be ventilation and shading.

jt04

Yes, but it adds to the cost and increases the weight, thus reducing the capacity of each car. From what I have read there are only two ways to do AC. One is a multi cable system where power can be supplied over the cables, or the way the London system does it with a super capacitor in each car the charges at the stations. Both add cost and weight to the system.

A solar powered exhaust fan on the roof weighs little and costs little. I would guess it would be an option.

Creathir

Serious question for those who insist this needs AC. Do you feel uncomfortable on the Peoplemover in July? How about the Walt Disney World Railroad? Jungle Cruise? Liberty Square Riverboat? I don't see much difference. It's not going to be a hermetically sealed glass box, there's going to be ventilation and shading.
The difference is there is shading on the people mover from an overhead structure absorbing most solar radiation, and it's open air, you feel the breeze.

These absorb the radiation themselves and are not open air, but forced ventilation...

I don't think they will be very comfortable in the summer, but I avoid the parks in the summer anyway so it really will not impact me.

CaptainAmerica

The difference is there is shading on the people mover from an overhead structure absorbing most solar radiation, and it's open air, you feel the breeze.

These absorb the radiation themselves and are not open air, but forced ventilation...

I don't think they will be very comfortable in the summer, but I avoid the parks in the summer anyway so it really will not impact me.
I don't think you understand the thermodynamics of ventilation and draft. There's going to be more breeze inside these gondolas than if you were in the open air. It's not like the vent in your bathroom. Vents on both the top and bottom of the vehicle will create essentially a vertical wind tunnel.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

One presumes they'll be using materials on the outside that reflect IR radiation. Also, each gondola will be spending a few minutes in the shade of a station as it slowly moves letting people off and on.

Creathir

This

To you homeowners out there (or those who have paid attention to homes)- you have vents on your roof- and you have soffits vents at the bottom of your roofs.
The air comes up through the soffits- and vent through your vents at the top of your roof. Back in the day, they used to use powered attic fans and then solar attic fans- but as we know more and more about ventilation- those have been phased out and Ridge vents (just static vents at the top of your ridge line) are the best option.
The ideal ratio is 50:50- too much exhaust ventilation creates static air. Too much intake also creates static air. If one has to have more than the other, you'd rather have more exhaust- but you try to keep it as close to 50:50 as possible. In, and out. The added movement at 10-15mph will only help the intake, and will allow them to have a higher ratio of exhaust. I'm sure the engineers are taking that into account- so I have to assume they are basing the 50:50 ventilation based on movement. So we will likely have more static air when we are still- but it won't be significant enough in ratio or time to matter.

Moral of the story- it'll be ok. Too hot for you? Take the bus, which will still exist.

I live in South Texas. With attic ventilation.

It still is 100+ in the summer inside that attic.

As to the buses, we've been told they are going away, so you won't have an effective alternative really. (Not without playing the transfer game)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I live in South Texas. With attic ventilation.

It still is 100+ in the summer inside that attic.

As to the buses, we've been told they are going away, so you won't have an effective alternative really. (Not without playing the transfer game)

Have you been in a gondola during the summer before? Like at a ski resort during the summer or something?

BrianLo

I've been on the HK 360 gondolas multiple times, in a place that's actually somehow hotter and muggier than Florida...

There were no real issues with temp as far as I was concerned. There are plenty of gondolas in non-ski resorts... this isn't a transit system that needs A/C. I've weirdly probably been on at least 2-3 dozen of these all over the world. Only during ski season have I thought any actually got warm needing to shed layers.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I've been on the HK 360 gondolas multiple times, in a place that's actually somehow hotter and muggier than Florida...

There were no real issues with temp as far as I was concerned. There are plenty of gondolas in non-ski resorts... this isn't a transit system that needs A/C. I've weirdly probably been on at least 2-3 dozen of these all over the world. Only during ski season have I thought any actually got warm needing to shed layers.

Exactly. This isn't going to be the first ever case of putting in a gondola system in a warm climate. It has been done many times over.

Creathir

Have you been in a gondola during the summer before? Like at a ski resort during the summer or something?
Nope. And just to clarify, it may not be a big issue at all.

I just feel it does not scream premium to be building out new infrastructure without some form of modern climate control.

The folks paying $1500 a night at that shiny new DVC tower might feel Disney is just being cheap:

But who knows? Maybe it'll be sufficient and a non issue.

Grimley1968

I'm in the camp of those who believe that lack of A/C on gondolas is a non-issue. As long as they're well ventilated, I'll be fine with them.

mmascari

The AC decision is the result of many meetings and a lot of environmental testing.

Yes, tests for passenger comfort.

Naturally forced ventilation is the solution chosen.

Does this mean there's a secret test facility somewhere with gondolas of different designs moving around in a circle to measure different solutions?

Even if there isn't, you can just reply with a vague answer that can be clearly misinterpreted, that will give someone a reason to search around endlessly looking for it. :D

PS: I'm sure they'll be fine, looking forward to them.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Does this mean there's a secret test facility somewhere with gondolas of different designs moving around in a circle to measure different solutions?

Even if there isn't, you can just reply with a vague answer that can be clearly misinterpreted, that will give someone a reason to search around endlessly looking for it. :D

Fireball.jpg

lazyboy97o

Nope. And just to clarify, it may not be a big issue at all.

I just feel it does not scream premium to be building out new infrastructure without some form of modern climate control.

The folks paying $1500 a night at that shiny new DVC tower might feel Disney is just being cheap:

But who knows? Maybe it'll be sufficient and a non issue.
The idea that mechanical systems must be best is extremely wasteful.

jt04

Martin's magic 8-ball says, "ask again later"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom