News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Biff215

When you can hop on a car I think they will let you know. Til then it is just another transportation project like paving a road.

I don't think there was ever an "announcement" for this. I would not expect one for the Gondola project. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/world-drive-magic-kingdom-intersection-re-design.913087/page-2
This is more significant than a typical road project though, especially when they're potentially hoping to drive room rates with this. While not on the same level as a monorail expansion, they're likely hoping for a similar effect. It will also be difficult to hide what they're doing very long, so announcing it will will build anticipation while also getting the questions out of the way. Just my guess, but I could see a minor announcement at D23.

NoChesterHester

This is more significant than a typical road project though, especially when they're potentially hoping to drive room rates with this. While not on the same level as a monorail expansion, they're likely hoping for a similar effect. It will also be difficult to hide what they're doing very long, so announcing it will will build anticipation while also getting the questions out of the way. Just my guess, but I could see a minor announcement at D23.

I think this is every bit as big of deal as a monorail expansion. Finally, Disney Transportation unveils a new technology that links multiple locations without requiring automobiles. They are going to sing this from the hill tops when the time is right to drive bookings to these resorts.

I know I'm excited about the idea of staying at Carribean Beach and riding a skyway to Star Wars land at DHS. This is awesome. They should absolutely get a premium for offering something really awesome like this!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's just a rumor.

upload_2017-6-26_17-14-5.png

Kman101

Won't all the stations where you load onto the gondolas be at ground level, or at least only a couple of stories and then go up?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Won't all the stations where you load onto the gondolas be at ground level, or at least only a couple of stories and then go up?

Probably.

This would mean that there's a nearby tower for each station along all the lines to provide the lift/descent. We don't know where they'll be going yet.

It is possible a station could be two or three stories up and not bother with a tower to provide lift/descent. This would probably mean elevators or escalators... which would slow things down.

I could see the station by the new DVC tower being up a few stories if it is actually connected to the new DVC towers.

That is awesome! (Especially the sudden elevation drop at the end of the red line. They'll probably charge extra for that).

Google Earth Pro doesn't do inclined lines/planes. :(

So, I'se gots to steps them.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Probably.

This would mean that there's a nearby tower for each station along all the lines to provide the lift/descent. We don't know where they'll be going yet.

It is possible a station could be two or three stories up and not bother with a tower to provide lift/descent. This would probably mean elevators or escalators... which would slow things down.

I could see the station by the new DVC tower being up a few stories if it is actually connected to the new DVC towers.

Google Earth Pro doesn't do inclined lines/planes. :(

So, I'se gots to steps them.
All stations at ground level.

dreamfinder

And while we're at it, did everyone see this?

http://poststar.com/news/local/teen...cle_d05906a8-0dd3-5bbb-a9ec-48d42732e95c.html

I know that's not what's going to be at Disney World, but both of these stories are the epitome of my irrational fears of riding these things. And I've been to the park where this happened.

That is a chairlift style, similar to the one in Blizzard Beach. I highly doubt that WDW would go with that over a gondola style. I imagine they will want at least 4 per car, plus the ability to hold some sort of luggage IE backpacks or strollers. Running with a gondola more like this
images

would allow them to put 6-8 people in a cabin and have the ability to hold backpacks/folded strollers safely. I can't see them going full on tram style and putting 30-50 people in a single car at once, but 6-8 in a car is very reasonable. Some of the higher end/more recent models include music and heating for use during the winter, so you can still get music, AC might be tough. But fully enclosed also provides protection from a sudden rain storm that Florida loves to get.

Kman101

I think it had been said the gondolas will only hold about 10 people or so but I'd have to go searching this thread for that. You'd think they'd go with something that could hold a lot more people. But I don't know how many cars are running on the loop.

The gondolas will be enclosed. We aren't getting something like the old Skyway or the Six Flags "gondola" and we won't be riding chair lifts around the property LOL

JoeCamel

I think it had been said the gondolas will only hold about 10 people or so but I'd have to go searching this thread for that. You'd think they'd go with something that could hold a lot more people. But I don't know how many cars are running on the loop.

The gondolas will be enclosed. We aren't getting something like the old Skyway or the Six Flags "gondola" and we won't be riding chair lifts around the property LOL
Although a J-Bar and roller skates or skateboards could be interesting

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom