Parker-Keller

Another construction photo posted today. twitter @bioreconstruct

Attachments

• update.png
    update.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 524
Last edited:

Creathir

In the WDW bubble you wouldn't need that. With a very known route and limited roads to manage, it wouldn't need level 5 at all.
The bubble of roads that the rest of the world drives on? Which are still governed as public roads by the laws and regulations of Florida?

Yeah... you're wrong.

Unless the vehicles are in their own ROW, they'd be subject to the rules and regs of Florida DoT.

Level 5 would be needed (that indicates a driverless vehicle, which is what we are talking about) for to travel on the road system autonomously.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The bubble of roads that the rest of the world drives on? Which are still governed as public roads by the laws and regulations of Florida?

Yeah... you're wrong.

Unless the vehicles are in their own ROW, they'd be subject to the rules and regs of Florida DoT.

Level 5 would be needed (that indicates a driverless vehicle, which is what we are talking about) for to travel on the road system autonomously.

No, Level 4 is 100% autonomous driving under the majority of normal road conditions where the driver does not need to be paying attention. Level 5 adds the ability to handle unusual condition and edge cases. Level 5 can do anything a human driver can do.

Creathir

No, Level 4 is 100% autonomous driving under the majority of normal road conditions where the driver does not need to be paying attention. Level 5 adds the ability to handle unusual condition and edge cases. Level 5 can do anything a human driver can do.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/autonomous-car-levels-sae-ranking

Level 5 is full autonomy.

We are talking about driverless point to point, Uber style shuttles/taxis.

Full autonomy is needed for a completely driverless vehicle.

It is coming. Please do not misunderstand. The debate is on timeframes, which I feel is still at least 5, really 8 years out before a large scale commercial endeavor is undertaken by a company like Disney.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/autonomous-car-levels-sae-ranking

Level 5 is full autonomy.

We are talking about driverless point to point, Uber style shuttles/taxis.

Full autonomy is needed for a completely driverless vehicle.

It is coming. Please do not misunderstand. The debate is on timeframes, which I feel is still at least 5, really 8 years out before a large scale commercial endeavor is undertaken by a company like Disney.

It seems to be a very fine line between the two.

Level 4:

"SAE describes this as having "driving mode-specific performance by an automated driving system of all aspects of the dynamic driving task, even if a human driver does not respond appropriately to a request to intervene". Put more simply, if something goes wrong, the car can handle it itself."

To me a level 4 should be able to handle point to point in a known environment like Disney World. I recently ran into what I think is a good example of the sort of thing level 4 could not handle. I went to an event and when I came down the entrance road a person directed me off the road into a field where had to watch for signals from a couple other people to direct me where to park. This is a condition that would require level 5.

To me level 4 sounds like it should be able to handle 95% of driving tasks, level 5 get's you the last 5%.

Creathir

It seems to be a very fine line between the two.

Level 4:

"SAE describes this as having "driving mode-specific performance by an automated driving system of all aspects of the dynamic driving task, even if a human driver does not respond appropriately to a request to intervene". Put more simply, if something goes wrong, the car can handle it itself."

To me a level 4 should be able to handle point to point in a known environment like Disney World. I recently ran into what I think is a good example of the sort of thing level 4 could not handle. I went to an event and when I came down the entrance road a person directed me off the road into a field where had to watch for signals from a couple other people to direct me where to park. This is a condition that would require level 5.
The key difference is a level 4 has controls for a human to take over if the need arises.

Level 5 does not.

Something transporting guests would need to be level 5.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The key difference is a level 4 has controls for a human to take over if the need arises.

Level 5 does not.

Doesn't really make a difference weather is has controls or not. In the Disney scenario, under normal operation the controls are not be needed, but would not be accessible to the guest. They would only be needed in the unlikely event that something goes wrong and a CM has to be sent out to manually bring the vehicle back in. Again, WDW is a controlled enough environment that level 4 should be enough.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Level 5 does not.

Having a low level cm in the car even if driving isn't their main task would be desirable. One they can act as the valet loading and unloading the car. Two they can manage the user inputs and changes more effectively. Three, they could intervene/assist in the case of an anomaly that would require the vehicle to goto some failsafe condition.

This way you angst all the efficiencies that the automation offers without having to design the 100% idiot proof cars.

Plus, it would prevent people from doing stupid things

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom