News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Cesar R M

A single gondola line is going to do at least 3000 per hour. (Thats what the La Paz system does as a minimum) If you were to put them in at the MK area resorts, they would put in 4 direct lines. Thats 12000. And if it was me, I'd run two between TTC and MK, so that would be 15000. (And if this was the plan, they'd clearly do a 5th for WL, but that number doesn't matter here).

You're missing out on the biggest thing. It has to do with peak numbers. Anything can handle the crowds during the day. Monorail is fine for that. But at peak it can't handle the rush. That isn't in question. A flexible system or one that is constantly moving both handle all crowds better than a fixed system based on a train. If the monorail track was replaced by a PeopleMover? That is the actual perfect solution. Constantly moving, 'futuristic', electric, pretty reliable.

Also, your 'sight lines' thing is thinking this is going to be something its not. These are not going to be MK Skyway height for the entire trip. They will keep them decently low to the ground because a) its cheaper and b) there isn't any reason to go that high.
Wont they need to make extensive changes to the pillars/pilons of the monorails? I mean, a people'smover either needs a full covered system... or the entire line with antiweather protection.
Hell, they could go on the cheap and make a single giant moving monorail line (aka all trains are tied one after another, add more until the entire loop is full, the train as more lightweight system and with specified doors to work in the new omnimover style.. and use the same engines to push in constant motion.)

SomeInternetGuy

My apologies if this has already been posted, but the last several pages have been kind of a mess. New NOC documents were added to several SFWMD permits earlier this week that give us a pretty clear picture of this project's timeline...

First, the permit for the station at Disney's Art of Animation Resort has a construction schedule of May 8th, 2017 - August 8th 2018:

KKcrPjw.png

Second, the schedule for the work in the L402 basin (which contains the Hollywood Studios station, turning station near boardwalk and land clearing for the CBR->DHS line ) is May 3rd, 2017 - February 8th 2019:

gxjfiB0.png

And lastly, the permit for the Caribbean Beach renovation is scheduled for May 2nd, 2017 - September 20th 2019:

bOZirVt.png

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
My apologies if this has already been posted, but the last several pages have been kind of a mess. New NOC documents were added to several SFWMD permits earlier this week that give us a pretty clear picture of this project's timeline...

First, the permit for the station at Disney's Art of Animation Resort has a construction schedule of May 8th, 2017 - August 8th 2018:

KKcrPjw.png

Second, the schedule for the work in the L402 basin (which contains the Hollywood Studios station, turning station near boardwalk and land clearing for the CBR->DHS line ) is May 3rd, 2017 - February 8th 2019:

gxjfiB0.png

And lastly, the permit for the Caribbean Beach renovation is scheduled for May 2nd, 2017 - September 20th 2019:

bOZirVt.png

Thanks for the update. I just assumed that construction would start around May 1st as I be live this project is tied to the CBR renovation an I be live May 1st is when Disney will start handing out the gift cards to CBR guest.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

KKcrPjw.png

gxjfiB0.png

bOZirVt.png

I have seen these Notices of Commencement filed with Orange County, but I never realized these also showed up on the SWFMD site. It's good to see the actual construction dates.

roj2323

I have seen these Notices of Commencement filed with Orange County, but I never realized these also showed up on the SWFMD site. It's good to see the actual construction dates.

what's SWFMD ? My brain is not functioning yet (early in the day for me) so I can't quite figure it out.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
First, the permit for the station at Disney's Art of Animation Resort has a construction schedule of May 8th, 2017 - August 8th 2018

Maybe someone who knows how to interpret these permits better than I can answer, but is this implying that the AoA station will only take three months of construction from when they break ground until the station is completed or does this permit only cover a portion of the construction? I mean, I know that the company that builds these systems is capable of installing them pretty quickly (I've heard stories where they will install an entire system in a single ski resort off season) but three months seems REALLY short for this construction. Maybe I'm just used to the "Disney" pace for construction and three months is actually totally reasonable in "the real world"...

Nonetheless, I'll be staying at AoA first week of August and will be sure to take lots of pics!

TeriofTerror

Maybe someone who knows how to interpret these permits better than I can answer, but is this implying that the AoA station will only take three months of construction from when they break ground until the station is completed or does this permit only cover a portion of the construction? I mean, I know that the company that builds these systems is capable of installing them pretty quickly (I've heard stories where they will install an entire system in a single ski resort off season) but three months seems REALLY short for this construction. Maybe I'm just used to the "Disney" pace for construction and three months is actually totally reasonable in "the real world"...

Nonetheless, I'll be staying at AoA first week of August and will be sure to take lots of pics!
I think 15 months: May 8th, 2017 - August 8th 2018:)

djdan888

Am I the only one not that excited about this? I mean, if it went from Epcot to Hollywood, that would be amazing. I am just imagining all those throngs of people at the quiet little Epcot back gate I have always enjoyed to use. I know a bit snobbish but it sounds like that area is gonna be jammed up now. It was nice while it lasted.

gorillaball

Am I the only one not that excited about this? I mean, if it went from Epcot to Hollywood, that would be amazing. I am just imagining all those throngs of people at the quiet little Epcot back gate I have always enjoyed to use. I know a bit snobbish but it sounds like that area is gonna be jammed up now. It was nice while it lasted.

You aren't the only one but one of the very few. Fewer buses on all surrounding roads being the main good news even if you don't stay at any of the properties that will have the direct benefit of new access. Yes, International Gateway will probably have 2-3x more people going through it. Not sure it will go from "quiet" to "jammed" but we'll see.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Maybe @marni1971 can answer this - will they be adding more entrance "turnstyles" as part of this project, to handle the expected increase in people?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

KKcrPjw.png

gxjfiB0.png

bOZirVt.png

The 2018 date is interesting because the other two permits are where the gondola is part of a larger project that's why they have later dates.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It would be nice if there was an anagram key on this forum. That or if people would just type out what they are insinuating.
It's pronound "Swifmud" and it refers to the Southwest Florida Water Management District, the semi-goverment entity charged with trying to slow the inevitable depletion of Central/Southern Florida's limited fresh water supply.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom