1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gondola Transportation

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, Feb 14, 2017.

1. MichWolv

MichWolv Born Modest. Wore Off. Premium Member

This person must have gotten lost for awhile, or attempted to walk from the TTC to MK.

MK is certainly the toughest of course. Even when I stay on-property, I usually drive to every park other than MK. But for MK, I'll take the bus most of the time to avoid the TTC shenanigans. That said, three weeks ago, I went from off-site condo to MK gate in 47 minutes, and it only took that long because we just missed a monorail. Slightly less time on the way out due to no security delay and hopping a ferry just as it was ready to leave. Taking the bus from All-Star Sports (where I last stayed on property) took me about 23 minutes from loading bus to gate. However, that was after a 10 minute wait for the bus, and a 4 minute walk from my room to the bus stop. A few minutes shorter, but not much. Coming back took longer because I had to wait through two buses at MK due to crowds, so it was about 50 minutes gate to room.

SteveAZee and dmw like this.
  2. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Original Poster Premium Member

CBR is getting a new tower on the north end which will replace a bunch of the individual buildings.

MisterPenguin likes this.
  3. Ellie Thompson

Ellie Thompson Member

Ah.
    She mentioned it in a different stop.

4. creathir

creathir Well-Known Member

I guess I'm not following what you're saying.

$130 seems more than reasonable considering the competition and rest of the market.

I was stating that I felt $200-$300 was overpriced.

5. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

vloggers were logging times like this during the new security screening videos. But it had more to do with the sheer crowds at the park. It was taking them 20+mins from arch to parking.. and then about an hour+ from there to Main Street. When you have to wait for the THIRD ferry... you know its busy.

6. HauntedPirate

HauntedPirate Premium Member

I hear what you're saying. It's always... hang on a minute, gotta catch my breath after typing so much... interesting to see people in ECV's stand up and walk into... (Whew... sucking wind today...) the queue like it's no problem. I understand that sometimes (... outta breath from all this typing...) people need ECVs, like my dad when he was in his 60s. He had neuropathy and poor circulation in his feet and simply couldn't walk all day in the parks (... outta breath again...) like he used to. But many times the people I see in ECVs don't "look the part", which I know is my bad for assuming, but when you see them hop right up...

Ok, I'm exhausted, I need a nap now. Where's the voice-to-text translator for this site??? ;)

(HUGE sarcasm above, if you didn't get that already. The story about my dad was true, though)

nbar, Kman101 and matt9112 like this.
  7. bjlc57

bjlc57 Well-Known Member

just Build a monorail instead.. they have more money then they know what to do with no matter the cost..

Kram Sacul likes this.
  8. CanadianGordon

CanadianGordon Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to riding this. Not having a license means I HAVE to stay on property...

DarthFiscus75 likes this.
  9. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

People absolutely take advantage of ECVs. Not all, but you know there are quite a few who know they can get on a bus first, get on a ride before others, etc. Just like people took advantage of the DAS card. And just like people bring double-wide strollers for 8 year olds just so they can carry all of their stuff on it. I know that's all "controversial" to say but it's true.

10. rocketraccoon

rocketraccoon Member

It really wouldn't be worth it is the problem. Two value resorts and a moderate getting monorail service before any more expensive ones (Wilderness Lodge would be the cheapest to get to and even that's a fever dream) would be real weird. The necessary stuff to expand the line and service the resorts would be laughably high.

If they don't do a line to those resorts all this would do is connect Epcot to Hollywood Studios, which the boats and buses already do. No need to drop millions to help people get dinner at Epcot faster.

It'd be really awesome if everything across WDW was connected by monorail, but it doesn't make sense to do it.

11. MichWolv

Saying those things isn't controversial. Everybody agrees that this happens (although the benefits on buses and rides are not consistently available). The controversy would potentially come based on what you would suggest be done in response to the existence of abuse.

12. deWild

deWild Member

Jimmy Cricket, I was simply making a joke...

13. TeriofTerror

TeriofTerror Well-Known Member

While some people undoubtedly abuse the ECVs, please, please don't assume that just because you don't see an obvious problem, the rider is automatically fat/lazy. For example, my husband's cousin had a stroke in her early thirties. To look at her, you'd think she's perfectly healthy. However, she can only walk a few steps unassisted and will definitely need an ECV on her WDW trip. I say this totally without judgement, because if I didn't have her example to remind me, I would undoubtedly be sighing very loudly and obnoxiously every time I had to wait for a scooter to load/unload on a bus. ;)

jaklgreen, egg, KRoss80 and 6 others like this.
  14. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Of course, that's all very true. You can't assume they don't NEED it.

TeriofTerror likes this.
  15. MichWolv

Apologies -- I missed it.

16. Malrora73

Malrora73 New Member

While I agree that as things currently stand there is no need for another mode of transportation between Epcot and Hollywood Studios. However if they do do this, whether it's for an extension of the Monorail or a gondala system I do think that this would be a good way to prepare for the influx of visitors DHS is almost guaranteed to get once Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land open. Yes they could just buy a hundred more buses for the same cost but doing that would result in an overload of traffic at the end of the night, especially now that all the parks have night offerings. 100 more buses would also mean extending the bus only lanes they are currently working on around the Disney Springs area. This gives people other options that are above ground and not clogging up the streets. Traffic is bad enough as it is. If Pandora is popular that will just compound the problem even more. Who knows what they have in store for Epcot or the rest of the parks futures? This would mean they are thinking more long term about the future of Walt Disney World and it is something I heartily approve of. WDW has been long overdue for some TLC especially the infrastructure.

17. Cesar R M

Cesar R M Well-Known Member

Have you been to a turkish prison?

18. Cesar R M

They are missing an opportunity to theme each tower station according to the area they are in.

Kman101 likes this.
  19. Cesar R M

Lets agree to disagree.

Because for what I've seen.. those 100-150 USD "hotels" have better rooms and amenities than the default priced Disney moderates.
    Starting from the bathrooms for example.
    POR and COL are fine examples.. they look motel rooms with a little theme on them.

matt9112 and creathir like this.
  20. creathir

creathir Well-Known Member

Ah, I understand what you're saying now.

To each his own I suppose?

For some The being onsite and free transportation is a good trade off for stuff like you are talking about. But it's really a personal preference question.