1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Gondola Transportation

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, Feb 14, 2017.

1. homerdance

homerdance Active Member

We do this every trip before we go, and after parking, hidden fees at offsite hotels, the total has always been within $20 a night for a value. So it comes down to is it worth that for the extra 30 days to make FP+, direct drop off at MK, and the others perks of staying on property.

But once the Gondola's are open, the fact you can get to two parks from POP without buses (which already has the best bus transportation on property) the desire to stay for our group goes up, not sure it will match the prices though.

2. kthomas105

kthomas105 New Member

I came across this interesting article while googling about gondola systems used for public transportation. While I doubt Disney will use a system like this (because from what I can tell it is very expensive and one of the more complex systems) it would greatly enhance capacity. The article from the Orlando Sentinel quoted 10 passengers per vehicle so with a platform of this style and three different lines (to EPCOT, DHS and AoA/POP from CBR Transfer Station) capacity adds up quick! Like I said I doubt they will use this but for those of you worrying about capacity issues I think there are plenty of solutions Disney could implement immediately or in the future with this system.
    System of Two Gondola Platforms.PNG
    Here is a second capacity increasing station design with two levels. System of Two Story Gondola Platforms.PNG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. matt9112

matt9112 Well-Known Member

And the rest of us want discounts because we have to hear the cheer groups :) :)

4. draybook

draybook Well-Known Member

I hear ya! We stayed to ourselves or with one other family during those trips. Most cheer moms are out of control. I took the elevator down to the lobby one night and this one girl's mom was drunk and called her a b----, her own daughter. And at that same Best Western, a couple girls from our gym were throwing ice from their balcony so I notified security and they handled it. That stuff could seriously injure someone or damage a car from that high. It was embarrassing.

thehowiet likes this.
  5. G00fyDad

G00fyDad Well-Known Member

That $800+ difference included parking. If I did not include parking it would have been a $1000+ difference. :D

6. creathir

creathir Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely.
    Generally speaking, most vacations do though.
    I've wondered if they would do something like this for wheelchairs and ECVs.

A separate loop which could potentially even have a gondola stop on it, to allow for easier loading and unloading.

Josh Harris, kthomas105 and Kman101 like this.
  7. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Original Poster Premium Member

TiggerDad likes this.
  8. SuzGM84

SuzGM84 New Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned ever, but would it ever be possible to connect the gondola from the resorts to the TTC? Essentially providing a non-bus route to MK from CBR (and Pop) and vice versa (creating a direct non-bus route from the deluxes to HS)...

9. danlb_2000

Anything is possible, but I have my doubts they would stretch the line that far when they already have the monorail.

10. SuzGM84

SuzGM84 New Member

That was my thought too, but like you said, you never know!

11. matt9112

matt9112 Well-Known Member

If only ECVs were used by people who are disabled and not just people who get winded after 15 feet.

12. Goob

Goob Well-Known Member

^^^^this times 1,000

This topic absolutely drives me insane at the parks. If you are too lazy to walk....well, never mind.

13. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Well-Known Member

Martin has said that there are no plans to expand this system beyond what we already know about.

Lets not start that.

14. kthomas105

kthomas105 New Member

Monorail to EPCOT > Use a park hopper ticket > Walk to international gateway> Take Gondola to DHS
    If you really don't want to take the bus it could be done but it wouldn't be ideal. On the bright side you would only go through security once.

CanadianGordon likes this.
  15. Ellie Thompson

Ellie Thompson Member

On my bus to epcot today, someone asked what the construction near AOA and POP was and they said that the only thing their supervisor said was that "it's a road but above, unlike normal roads."
    So, it's clearly about this rumor unless she lied.

16. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Yes, anything could happen but at some point it's nonsensical to say it's planned expansion. The system as shown is all that is designed. There will be nothing like extra loading platforms for future connections or extra utilities laid. Any expansion would be something separate.

17. Cesar R M

Cesar R M Well-Known Member

expansion as in new buildings? or they are just going to transform?

18. Cesar R M

Size and amenities do not fit the price. They are just overcharging for the "theme" while giving mediocre food.

19. Cesar R M

Pretty sure it would be still faster by using Uber. WDW transportation is pretty slow. Specially on busy days where you have to wait up to an hour to get a free bus.
    Even more if there are wheelchairs and other groups that require special boardings.

20. danlb_2000

I don't believe there is any significant construction started on this project yet, expect for maybe some construction trailers and staging yards. They may have been referring to the intersection of Osceola and Victory which is where they are building a new overpass and new entrance to DHS.

Rob562 likes this.