News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Kman101

I would think one of the most needed location for a second gondola would be from Animal kingdom lodge to AK. to run buses less than a mile seems to be such a waste and awful for the environment. it would only need to be a very short connector and would add a huge plus to staying at AKL or Kadani.

Really surprised they don't have unique transportation between the two.

If they ever get rid of the train to Rafiki's they could re-route it to the lodge (would that be possible?).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Where do you get that they are putting in Monorail footers? I'm confused. Thought this was just ski lift transportation at its most advanced stage.
If I understand how the permits work.. they would need one for every footer. A monorail would need far more than 6 footers... IIRC they need one every 50-100 feet or so...

This is certainly for the footers for the towers for something other than a monorail... all evidence points towards a gondola system.
It's a joke.
Yeah, just a joke. At the beginning of the thread there were a lot of doubters that this really would be a gondola system. The monorail footer thing goes back to an old poster here who had a bit of an obsession with monorails. I think he's gone or maybe posting under a different name these days.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good morning. Long time lurker, few times poster here. If this has already been asked, my apologies. Do we have any indications that, if this gondola system is a roaring success, that the same type of infrastructure could be added elsewhere on property? Not tying into the current proposal, but being self-contained. Perhaps TTC to MK, for example. Just curious if this is a 'one and done' deal or not.
From some of the insiders it sounds like maybe there is a plan to connect AK to the EPCOT resort area (connecting to CSR too) but it didn't sound like a gondola, maybe some other form of transport and it doesn't sound like it will happen anytime soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here's an exchange from earlier in the thread:
Does this gondola system in any way benefit the Crescent Lake resorts? Obviously those staying there would still walk to Epcot, but I still think walking to DHS or taking the ferry would be faster than taking the gondola from the IG to CBR then over to DHS?

This system won't.

Are there plans to build other/additional systems in the future, which may or may not service Crescent Lake resorts?

There may be and it may do. I'm aware of another system type that *may* be built in the future to serve other areas of the property.

Maybe. Waaaayyyyy down the line.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some sort of modernized people mover similar to that at MCO and other air ports. This system could connect AK/AKL to CSR to the Boardwalk gondola Station.
That could work. I am thinking some form of ground level transport would be most cost effective. Maybe a light rail type system. The only issue would be crossing the highway. They could put in RR crossings on regular roads, but not likely on World Drive. It may still be much cheaper to build an overpass or 2 than have the complete system elevated.

TiggerDad

Some sort of modernized people mover similar to that at MCO and other air ports. This system could connect AK/AKL to CSR to the Boardwalk gondola Station.
I thought we decided the Boardwalk station was not a true station with load/unload capability, but merely a means to redirect the gondolas in a different direction.

Goob

THIS is what needs to happen. Self driving pods.

IMG_0079.JPG

Kman101

Yeah, just a joke. At the beginning of the thread there were a lot of doubters that this really would be a gondola system. The monorail footer thing goes back to an old poster here who had a bit of an obsession with monorails. I think he's gone or maybe posting under a different name these days.

I think when a lot of people heard gondola they assumed it would be the open buckets that graced the skies before but that would have never been considered.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
THIS is what needs to happen. Self driving pods.

View attachment 197245

I mentioned that earlier during the guessing game, and it was the only serious guess the insiders when silent on rather than dismissing. Like when I posted the guess of drones for a new Disney Springs show (though, I was quoting some other site).

So you know what that means: It may or may not be self driving vehicles.

;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It would still have its place. TTC to the parks, the volume is so high, plus the existing infrastructure is sufficient.

But PRT would be a low cost (comparatively) effective solution which solves most issues.

If it's not being considered, it should be.
The low cost part is probably what makes this a real possibility. Driverless pods cuts down on labor costs and building the whole thing at ground level would be much cheaper than elevated tracks. They would still need to cross a few roads, but I would assume they could just build overpasses which aren't cheap, but are also less expensive than a fully elevated system. I could see 2 major routes
  1. A route connecting the EPCOT resorts to AK including a stop at AKL and CSR. That line could maybe have a connection to the new gondolas somewhere as well as a route to the existing EPCOT monorail station for connections to MK.
  2. A route connecting EPCOT to Disney Springs possibly going through either Port Orleans or OKW or both.
If they did that all of the deluxe and moderates would have additional transport and getting from the monorail resorts to either AK or DS would be a monorail ride and a switch to a pod. The EPCOT resorts would be really well connected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom