News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

seascape

No one outside of big Disney fans cares at all about a new transportation option unless you are staying at a resort where it is an option. It would make zero impact on Avatar and its marketing.
On site transportation is much more important than you think. By the time Universal and Disney are done with their current hotel expanion staying on site will be more important than ever. Both companies are going after the full tourist market and that means staying on site at both locations. Look at VB and its lack of a dedicated parking lot. Is it possible thay Universals third gate will actually be where the currect parking garages are and parking for non resort guests moves off-site? From a business standpoint they make more money from guests spending all their money there just like WDW does. At the end of the day WDW will have thousands more room and so will Universal.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not sure if mentioned before or not, but with the opening and media blitz of Avatar land, that could be a potential reason for not making any specific announcements about a new transportation option for the park. The gondola system would definitely steal some thunder from Avatar land.

If that's the case an announcement after the end of May sounds about right.

I think they are waiting to announce it along with the announcement of the rest of the changes to Caribbean Beach.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not sure if mentioned before or not, but with the opening and media blitz of Avatar land, that could be a potential reason for not making any specific announcements about a new transportation option for the park. The gondola system would definitely steal some thunder from Avatar land.

I think they are waiting to announce it along with the announcement of the rest of the changes to Caribbean Beach.
This seems far more likely the reason.
I'm guessing it's a D23 announcement at this point....
Assuming the rumor is true and there is a component of CBR converting to DVC and given the history of DVC announcements, they probably won't announce changes to CBR until after the sales at the new DVC at WL are further along. DVC never wants to hurt sales of currently available resorts by announcing new resorts too early. They don't want potential buyers deciding to wait for the next resort instead of buying the current one. It would be like Apple announcing the details of the IPhone 8 right after the 7 was released. I would guess we might be 6 months to a year away from a formal announcement unless they just announce changes to CBR hotel without mentioning DVC.

Flalex72

I feel like we're going to become like police sketch artists.

"Is this the gondola station you saw?"

"The roof was more curved, it was more open-wall, and there were more wrought iron accessories."

<sketches...> "How about this?"

"Yes! That was the gondola station!"

"All right boys, put out an APB on open air gondola stations. Check with varying manufacturers to see who could build such a thing."

"The roof was more curved, it was more open-wall," pretty much describes an off-the-shelf gondola station these days. Unfortunately that means that even with some wrought iron accessories, the stations, especially at EPCOT, aren't going to blend into the surroundings very well.

JoeCamel

"The roof was more curved, it was more open-wall," pretty much describes an off-the-shelf gondola station these days. Unfortunately that means that even with some wrought iron accessories, the stations, especially at EPCOT, aren't going to blend into the surroundings very well.
You can spread a lot of schmaltz on the outside of the building to let it blend in. Look how they did the Fantasyland station all those years ago.

Pam Hates Penguins

D23 announcement sounds about right.

Kamikaze

On site transportation is much more important than you think. By the time Universal and Disney are done with their current hotel expanion staying on site will be more important than ever. Both companies are going after the full tourist market and that means staying on site at both locations. Look at VB and its lack of a dedicated parking lot. Is it possible thay Universals third gate will actually be where the currect parking garages are and parking for non resort guests moves off-site? From a business standpoint they make more money from guests spending all their money there just like WDW does. At the end of the day WDW will have thousands more room and so will Universal.

Not sure what your point is. Staying onsite benefits the companies much more than the guests.

My point wasn't that onsite transportation isn't important - its that the average fan won't care about an announcement regarding it.

Lift Blog

If Doppelmayr, they will be a variation of this:
file_000.jpeg

If Leitner-Poma, this:
img_3518.jpg

Last edited:

Progress.City

Hey, we have systems like these in Israel (where I am currently residing). I know of at least two - one in Haifa and one at Masada. The Masada one is out in the middle of nowhere and would be too expensive for me to go joyriding on, but the one in Haifa is like an hour from me by train. If you all would like, I could go to the one in Haifa and find out about all the details on its efficiency, take pics and videos, etc. If I get enough people here liking this message, I'll go ahead and do this on a day a have off from work. Just tell me things I should look for and questions for me to answer for when I go.

Lift Blog

You can put whatever shell you want those stations. I would expect in FL it won't be a glass roof.
Doppelmayr also offers this lower-profile version without glass for non-drive stations. Sure, Disney could design their own enclosures but we're talking major $$$. I can think of only two modern gondola lifts in North America without standard terminals. Custom colors are as far as most ski resorts go.
img_7744.jpg

This is what a terminal inside a building looks like. Keep in mind mid-stations are twice as long as this end station.
img_6683.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if the end terminals are inside larger buildings but the angle stations end up standing alone.

Last edited:

Skyman1971

I honestly expect them to construct some sort of themed building (at least for all loading and unloading areas that these machines will operate out of). I highly doubt they are going to happy with a standard outdoor station. I have seen several examples of lifts running out of various building types so I'm sure that's not an issue, and being Disney I don't think the money will matter either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom