New film for Soarin'...

martinthesparta

Original Poster
Please shoot me if this has been mentioned, but screamscape (I know...I know) has reported that soarin' has a new film in the works for after the 50th, can anyone confirm or deny. This gives me hope that LWTL and the pavillion itself will not sustain any major theme changes.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Its been mentioned a few times, but nothing definate. Anything from a few Floridian clips added to a complete new film. Damn them if they use Epcot`s 25th as an excuse to unveil something they should have done from the start.

ME could always give a days wages to hire an Omnimax camera and helecopter!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
BANG!!!!!

I think the same rumor was floating around here for a while as well. If there is a new movie in the works I would expect it to cover the US or possibly do something world wide. IMHO A hang gliding simulator of Florida would be quite boring considering this state has the topography of a sheet of plywood.

PhotoDave219

Actually, i can confirm that rumor.....

A Capital expenditure was requested or approved (i forget which) over the summer to make a new film for soarin. Although i was told that it was going to go to DCA and not here.

Now whether or not this has actually started or been greenlighted or what, i have no idea. But i can confirm some of it....

brkgnews

I would presume there would also have to be some funding/time included to reprogram the ride vehicle movement as well. It wouldn't make sense to have the camera go left while the ride goes right.

KevinPage

I honestly don't see a problem with EPCOT having the original film for a few years. Most people have no idea this is clone and most who do, haven't rode the DCA one, so at least they will see the original. And it's not like it's a bad film anyways.

As long as EPCOT gets its own film that fits into the theme with the pavillon in the future, seems like a win/win situation for the guests. :D

jesserin

Laura22 said:
I wish it was "soarin over disneyworld"...I would LOVE that.
Ditto - that would be the ultimate soarin.. it'd be fun to get a bird's eye view of all the mountains - even BB and TL could be included... yes - that would be the ultimate... ;)

stewdog1

Soarin' over America would be a cool addition. Maybe one day they could have a Soarin' to the Stars, but that would probably take too much away from Mission: Space.

netenyahoo

PhotoDave219 said:
Actually, i can confirm that rumor.....

A Capital expenditure was requested or approved (i forget which) over the summer to make a new film for soarin. Although i was told that it was going to go to DCA and not here.

Now whether or not this has actually started or been greenlighted or what, i have no idea. But i can confirm some of it....

I have heard the film at DCA is in need of a refurb, so maybe that is what money is going into. I doubt they would be getting a whole new film.

Kwit35

Maybe they could just call it Soarin' and stick to the 'Land' theme. Fly over corn fields, rain forests, mountain peaks, fall foliage, cranberry bogs, desserts...Just start and end at Disney.

Dayma

jesserin said:
Ditto - that would be the ultimate soarin.. it'd be fun to get a bird's eye view of all the mountains - even BB and TL could be included... yes - that would be the ultimate... ;)
Dont think Soarin should be used to show Disney stuff. This is a great ride to take people across the world to sites they never seen before.

mraw

I think that Soarin' is the perfect vehicle for adding temporary pavilions to the Epcot arena. There are many countries that would love to have a pavilion built in World Showcase, but there is either no room, or they aren't willing to pay the high price tag that comes with developing one. I think that Epcot should lease the attraction to a different country every three or so years and a film should be developed for it. This would be a win-win situation because countries that would otherwise get no exposure in the park will be able to showcase their beautiful landscapes and culture, and the guests would get an ever-evolving attraction. If after a while a country is not interested in leasing the attraction (which I think would be far down the line), they can always revert to the original film and market the fact that "the original is back". That would work well in itself- imagine if in a few months 20K could look just like it did 15 years ago, or World of Motion and Horizons would be back. That's the type of feeling I'd get if 10 years down the line the original Soarin' film had returned.

At this point, I think that Soarin' around the world would be too broad as we could explore many countries indepth and separately...

longfamily

Kwit35 said:
Maybe they could just call it Soarin' and stick to the 'Land' theme. Fly over corn fields, rain forests, mountain peaks, fall foliage, cranberry bogs, desserts...Just start and end at Disney.

This idea would be really nice. There are so many avenues that the future film could take. I would much prefer that the film depict various terrains and agriculture from all over the world rather than focusing on a specific area.

As for DL getting a new film, it would make sense that the new film would be shot for both DL and WDW if there is an intention of up-grade

General Grizz

I heard the film would be installed at least for Epcot's 25th... which gives us about 2 years with SoC. . . .

I would REALLY like to see Soarin' over the World - NOT solely Florida. Go through a variety of biomes. Tundras...deciduous forests...marshes...tundras...etc.

It would keep the Land on its important "global" level. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
mraw - an Omnimax film dosn`t come cheap. Especially an airborne one! Unfortunatley, this would dillute The Lands theme even more...

I`m glad though there isn`t a `Soarin over Disneyworld` film - ever seen how ugly the parks look close up form the air?

jmuboy

<!--StartFragment -->

In this age of saving money and do more with less at Disney it seems to me that a a new film at Soarn' is highly likely. A predict the new film will have clips from land forms all over the US combined with clips from the CURRENT film will be integrated together for a new "Soarn'" that will debut is late 2007 for the EPCOT 25th.

There is only 2 more years to go to get a new attraction lined up for the 25th. With every passing day a new "film" for Soarn' will become a more likely candidate. Also, I expect to see a new Tapestry style parade for the World Showcase portion of the 25th as well. We all know a new country is out of the question.

My dream...a new WS Parade (bigger and better then tapestry), a 25th birthday version of Illuminations, a new Soarn' film, and a Mary Poppins ride in the UK pavilion! That would be a worthwhile anniversary.....and would really draw in the people too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom