New DVC Resales Restrictions

glvsav37

^^^ no.
I'm a resale owner and I was ok with the restrictions when I purchased. But Disney approved my contact and they cannot take away anything that we agreed upon in that deal.

That said, I expect the resale prices to drop pretty well. Soon will be a good time to buy or add on if you are looking.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I wonder how they will handle it when you use 2 different sets of points for a stay? All of ours are direct right now, so if we buy resale tomorrow, and then use some of our direct points, and some of the new resale points for the same stay, how does that work? Are we allowed in or not? Do we get the discounts or not? They really need to clarify a few things for everyone.

DisDadWoz

We purchased direct back in the day, but would imagine that if we added on via resale that we could use the discounts from our original purchase. However, I can see this being a complete mess trying to differentiate if you have both. Time will tell I guess.

Phonedave

^^^ no.
I'm a resale owner and I was ok with the restrictions when I purchased. But Disney approved my contact and they cannot take away anything that we agreed upon in that deal.

That said, I expect the resale prices to drop pretty well. Soon will be a good time to buy or add on if you are looking.

Not that I think taking anything away is fair, but the only thing you and Disney agreed upon was your points, and how they can be used to "rent" rooms. Thats it, period. In fact that is they only thing that ANYBODY ever agreed on - direct or resale. The only thing that is a contractural item is the actual timeshare ownership. Perks, discounts, and other such things can be changed at anytime, for anybody.

-dave

HarrisburgMouse

I am not sure how it would impact resale prices much... Point rental values continue to rise---and with DVC raising direct to $180 in June, resale still has strong value.

slappy magoo

I wonder how they will handle it when you use 2 different sets of points for a stay? All of ours are direct right now, so if we buy resale tomorrow, and then use some of our direct points, and some of the new resale points for the same stay, how does that work? Are we allowed in or not? Do we get the discounts or not? They really need to clarify a few things for everyone.
Curious about that myself, if someone had both initial sale and resale points. Do offers of discounts become invalid if someone only uses resale points on one particular trip, even if they have original ownership points, too.

EOD K9

If they are taking away certain discounts, will there be a different membership card that states you have since purchased after this date? I have direct and resale points. I don't imagine one would cancel out the other. obviously, only the direct points would be available for cruises etc. It will be interesting to see.

DVC Mike

Original Poster
As I stated in my Do DVC Members deserve better perks post, perks offered by DVD are a marketing tactic to entice people to buy into DVC. From a marketing perspective, DVD needs to provide some differentiation between buying direct and buying resale. There has to be some justification for the price variance between direct and resale. Clearly, the changes they made in 2011 have been deemed not effective enough. We have seen direct point sales decline over the past year, and this is a plain and simple marketing tactic to increase the value of a direct purchase over a resale purchase. Guides must be jumping up and down with excitement for this new sales tool.

DVD is a business, and it exists to sell. Perks are a marketing tool to help sell. The primary reason for DVC to offer perks is to help improve sales by Disney Vacation Development. Offering perks to all members does increase their goodwill towards Disney and increases the positive word of mouth about DVC from current members to their friends and family. A lot of happy members providing positive word of mouth advertising would be a good marketing tool. So, it's good for business - to a certain extent. However, in this case, DVD decided it's direct sales would be better enhanced by differentiating it more from resales.

DVC Mike

Original Poster
If they are taking away certain discounts, will there be a different membership card that states you have since purchased after this date? I have direct and resale points. I don't imagine one would cancel out the other. obviously, only the direct points would be available for cruises etc. It will be interesting to see.

If you have purchased any points direct, or any points via the resale market prior to today, you will get a plastic DVC Member card. If you've only purchased resale going forward, you won't get a plastic DVC member card.

vinnya1726

Disney needs to really hire a new PR firm. While this may or may not make sense, it looks like another money grab, like all the other changes they have announced practically daily. Many of these changes make sense in isolation, but when you keep doing these things, day after day it sure seems like all those posters who continually smash Disney might be correct. It is time for Bob Iger to come and have a press conference and take questions from the media, including some of the bloggers and maybe we can press for some real answers to all this money grabbing. No chance that happens, but it is a nice thought.

EOD K9

If you have purchased any points direct, or any points via the resale market prior to today, you will get a plastic DVC Member card. If you've only purchased resale going forward, you won't get a plastic DVC member card.
No member cards for new (resale) members??? This is an outrage!! I suppose you're going to tell me they cant have the DVC sliders on their MBs too!!

Ralphlaw

A few years back I sold about $20,000 worth of points at the The Timeshare Store. It went very well. If I were to sell now, what kind of deal would Disney give me, if any?

Last edited:

WWWD

I hate to say it but this is probably going to work in favor of Disney. If I was new to DVC and buying my first set of points, this would make me pause buying resale even at current direct prices. DVC is a luxury purchase and no one likes to feel like a second class citizen when spending that kind of money. Is it worth the extra money to be able to access certain perks? I bet for many it will.

Also, will this deny future resale buyers from being admitted to Top of the World Lounge?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom