New DVC Owner

artvandelay

Original Poster
I know I've had some arguments about the merits of owning in the DVC, but we took the plunge yesterday and bought 160 points at Saratoga Springs. Disney's current special clinched it. We got $10 off per point ($85 per point) and do not have to pay maitenance until March '05. Unlike earlier promotions, we get to keep our 2005 points. I did the math and figured out it would pay for itself in 10 years, and with SSR you get to keep it 'til 2054.

tigsmom

Congrats! Wish we had invested when we were younger...but then we didn't have the money. :lol:

Enjoy! :wave:

loading890

Good Deal.........i'm looking into buying one. Did you pay for it all up front, or did you use a down payment, with monthly installments??

artvandelay

Original Poster
loading890 said:
Good Deal.........i'm looking into buying one. Did you pay for it all up front, or did you use a down payment, with monthly installments??

We used our Disney Visa card to pay for the whole thing. That way we can use our Dsiney Dollars to help pay our maitenance fees.

artvandelay

Original Poster
DisneyPhD said:
Welcome Home!!!

Did you get the two free annual passes too?

No, we didn't. I think the free AP's are an incentive for current DVCers to add points. Unless that is the surprise my guide told me about.

DisneyPhD

Wouldn't that be a great surprize gift!!!!! I am guessing it is a back pack or bag and an art style picture of the resort (what we got when we joined a few years ago.) I think you might be right about that being for current memebers. It is great when you get the package in the mail!

I have major envey, I really want more points (we have 170 at VWL, if I could do it again I think we should of bought 220 to start with, oh well. You can really strech your points if you stay in studios!) With the new baby, new mini van and new addtion on the house, add on points are out of the question this year. Oh well, there is alway 2007 or so. :hammer:

Once you get over the 1st cost, it is all easy and fun from here. We also put us on creadit card, but they didn't have disney visa then, we got airline miles instead. (but we have put all the expences for the home addtion and the car on the Disney Visa, so we are doing good!)

Dizz42

Big Congrats! As TigsMom says, we wish we would have invested sooner. Yes, the free AP's are for current members who add points. As members from 1997, can't tell you how much we really, really love it! Enjoy! :wave:

DisneyPhD

dvc93, welcome to wdwmagic! :wave: :sohappy:

Dizz42, I too wish we would of joined sooner, but then again we didn't have the money (or even out of grad school) before that.

To anyone who is considering joining, the sooner you do that better, the more use you get out of it and the lower the price (normally.)

PixyDust

Yea!

We just can't say enough good things about DVC. Just wish we'd bought more than 150 the first time around. But, you live and learn I guess. We have enough now though, and don't anticipate any future add-ons. We have enough now to stay a couple of weeks in a two bedroom at OKW, which was our goal.

Congrats again! :sohappy:

shari71

We have been tossing the idea back and forth each year we go on whether to purchase DVC or not. Everytime we see the $10,000 or more investment we gasp and say not right now, but each year it ends up costing us between $1500-$2500 to go so I keep thinking would be a good investment but hard to get over.

Generally what range are the maintenance fees? That is what will probably cinch it for us. We go each year so we know this would be a good investment, just hits the pocketbook really hard all at once.

PhilharMagician

Congrats and welcome home. :wave:

We will be making our first trip home in early December during the December WDW magic meet time frame. I can't wait to see SSR.

skeeter

:cry: Am jealous of the rich folks with vacation clubs and big houses and new vans-----oh well. Have fun guys and enjoy!! :wave:

artvandelay

Original Poster
shari71 said:
Generally what range are the maintenance fees? That is what will probably cinch it for us. We go each year so we know this would be a good investment, just hits the pocketbook really hard all at once.

SSR is $3.80 a point for maitenance
OKW is $3.68
HH is $3.80
I think BWV, BCV, VB, and WLV are all $4+

Maitenance goes up approx. 3% a year.

DisneyPhD

skeeter said:
:cry: Am jealous of the rich folks with vacation clubs and big houses and new vans-----oh well. Have fun guys and enjoy!! :wave:

You are right skeeter, I have nothing to complain about! Of course the house isn't big (even with the addtion it is only 1800 sf.) However the best add on is the new baby, she sure is sweet! (and worth every penny!)

:lol:

Officer Tigger

Congrats and Welcome Home!

Hey DisneyPhD,

We feel the same way. We bought 200 points at the VWL to start off a couple of years ago. After two trips we decided we need about 100 more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom